Today's pawn shop score - poor, poor Makita....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guido Salvage

Supreme Saw Whoreder
Reaction score
No luck at the 4 shops I swing by on my way home each Friday, so I took a quick trip to a neighboring town after my run this morning. First shop was where I got my Shindaiwa 757 and a Pro Mac 10-10, only thing of any interest was a highly overpriced 036 Pro. Went across the street to another shop where I picked up a Poulan 3400 and a Poulan built Craftsman 3.7 and a big Husky bar, they were advertising saws @ 30% off. Nothing much of interest, I have been tempted on a 015 to put my hedge trimmer on, but it is still priced @ $125.00. Went half a dozen doors down to another shop I had only been in once before that specializes more in jewelery. Came across a Makita sitting on the floor, seemed to be priced more reasonably than most saws.

I noticed right away the chain brake handle was pushed down in front of the muffler. I was able to get it back over the top cover, but noticed that the handle was not engaging anything on the saw. Mentioned it to the clerk and asked the price, he came back with $40 off. Took it outside and gave it a few pulls (forgot to choke it) and it fired up. I was doing the typical rotation routine to make sure it ran in all directions and noticed the dog was jumping around. I could see a bolt on the bottom, cut the saw off and noticed the mounting tab was broken off from the saw case. When I flipped the saw over I found the the AV was totally ripped out.

Pointed out the flaws to the clerk and the manager, told them that it was strictly a parts saw and not safe to sell. After a bit of negotiation they saw it my way and I got it for 1/3 of the original asking price. Looks like it would make a good parts saw, I think someone got it pinched and jerked like hell on it to free it up.

No stickers and the serial tag doesn't show a model number, but I am guessing a 510. First Makita I owned, so know nothing about them.

Makita6_zps7831c3ac.jpg

Makita1_zps9efabffe.jpg

Makita3_zpsaebc2d00.jpg

Makita2_zps27c6e9c6.jpg

Makita5_zps6348ab85.jpg

Last edited:
That Makita is a great saw. Its an older one as evident by the aluminum handle bar. If all the tags are gone could a DCS 510 or a DCS 540. If you decide to sell it let me know, Id be interested. If not I can probably help you out with the parts. Id pick that over the equivalent stihl.

there is a lot fo pawn shops in your area,, we only have 2 over here now,, the one we always go to is a nice place but the only thing they usually have is poulans and craftsman,, once in a great while they will have have something decent,,,, there are a bunch down south of you in corbin area

there is a lot fo pawn shops in your area,, we only have 2 over here now,, the one we always go to is a nice place but the only thing they usually have is poulans and craftsman,, once in a great while they will have have something decent,,,, there are a bunch down south of you in corbin area

I only have one and they think everything is new.

There's a Pawn Shop here in Kendallville. The owner likes to rip people off. He preys on those that desperately need money. If he offers you $10 for your item you'll end up with only $5 if you go through with the transaction.

local shop would have told me someone will buy it,,thats what they told me when they had a used ms180 marked at 249... i told them i could get a new one cheaper and offered them 125,no way he said someone will buy it......

wth wont deal with them anymore,,,prolly gave a poor guy in need of cash 50 bux for it

local shop would have told me someone will buy it,,thats what they told me when they had a used ms180 marked at 249... i told them i could get a new one cheaper and offered them 125,no way he said someone will buy it......

wth wont deal with them anymore,,,prolly gave a poor guy in need of cash 50 bux for it

Probably even less.

I had a Makita DCS 430 and it looked the same.......think Dolmar 110-111......

That's probably more like it, that Makita is too old to be a 540. Has to be a 520 or older model because of that metal extension from the handle to the AV mount.

On the 540 and even the 520 I had, that part was black plastic.

I was in Louisville for a swim meet yesterday and got back late and didn't have a chance to look it over. Got it out in the light this morning and the tag shows it to be a 520. It will probably be best to part it or pass it along, I have no need for another 50 cc saw.

Should've made the same effort towards the 036 PRO.

I already have one and at $350 I doubt they would have come down enough to make it worthwhile. However, they did come quite a bit on the two I bought from them so I may check back with them.

The only pawn shop score I have ever gotten was when I was on vacation out in havre MT and was a 372xp for a 140 bucks. And was the only one I ever bought in a pawn shop.

Sent from my USCCADR3305 using Tapatalk 2

My guess is that way more than half the tools in any pawn shop are stolen. Buying that stuff feeds the beast. Most (most not all)honest people get more money from selling there stuff directly,especially when not in a hurry.

[
fallenangel.jpg

Never ever seen a blue one like that looks cool are they a good saW or junk?

Its not the buyers fault
its the Rich guy who owns the pond shop making money off the sick people
dishing out the cash to the sick People
to help them with problems they might have,,
Whos to Blame?
Some good folk have fallen down to you know,
It can happen to anyone.

Last edited:
[
fallenangel.jpg

Never ever seen a blue one like that looks cool are they a good saW or junk?

Its not the buyers fault
its the Rich guy who owns the pond shop making money off the sick people
dishing out the cash to the sick People
to help them with problems they might have,,
Whos to Blame?
Some good folk have fallen down to you know,
It can happen to anyone.

I've spent a fair bit of time in pawn shops. The vast majority of people going in to pawn something either stole it, or have zero ability to manage money. Most will be back again, and if they do get the item out of pawn, they will likely be back to pawn it again within a few weeks. A very, very, small percentage of the people going in to pawn something are just down on their luck.

Back