Todays saw pickup, better than I was expecting!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

54stude

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This just shows that you need to run down leads even if the sellers description is less than thrilling.

I was expecting a box store Poulan when I pulled up to this house.

He described this saw as a "mid sized yellow Poulan" with a 16 inch bar, not a big saw.

I went to pick it up and it is a Pioneer 620 with a 22" Bar, tons of compression, decent shape, and it ran about 5 years ago when he last used it.

View attachment 239337
View attachment 239338
View attachment 239339

How did I do:)

Acres says these 620 saws have brown covers, and this one is all yellow. Also, the paint on this saw is very easy to rub off just cleaning the saw, not durable at all.

This just shows that you need to run down leads even if the sellers description is less than thrilling.

I was expecting a box store Poulan when I pulled up to this house.

He described this saw as a "mid sized yellow Poulan" with a 16 inch bar, not a big saw.

I went to pick it up and it is a Pioneer 620 with a 22" Bar, tons of compression, decent shape, and it ran about 5 years ago when he last used it.

View attachment 239337
View attachment 239338
View attachment 239339

How did I do:)

Acres says these 620 saws have brown covers, and this one is all yellow. Also, the paint on this saw is very easy to rub off just cleaning the saw, not durable at all.

239337d1337909655-pioneer-620-left-jpg

239338d1337909656-pioneer-620-right-jpg

239339d1337909721-pioneer-620-front-jpg

Nice find! Can't go wrong for a 50 year old 100 odd cc saw. Check for air leaks on the fuel pick up side - the hoses perish and the filter bowl seals get hard. Big Tilly HL is a good carb and kits are cheap and easy. Often need a new clutch spring and the points touching up but there is no reason why it won't go for another 50 years.
And do not worry about the paint - it is only there for cosmetics and in my view at least, they look better with the 'used' patina.:msp_smile:

Is that a kickstand I'm seeing in the first photo?

No just the opposite, thats a footpeg. Thats where you put your foot down when yankin on the rope. My uncle had one of those saws when I was a little kid. Me and my brother used to try and start that thing. Kept us entertained for hours.

239337d1337909655-pioneer-620-left-jpg

Is that a kickstand I'm seeing in the first photo?

No just the opposite, thats a footpeg. Thats where you put your foot down when yankin on the rope. My uncle had one of those saws when I was a little kid. Me and my brother used to try and start that thing. Kept us entertained for hours.

Were both of you able to grab the starter handle at the same time? It would have been fun to watch! What would you have done if it had started?

Latest posts

Back