Too early for this!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe25DA

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
October 27th and snow?! Awful coincidental that I picked up this Gilson 8/26 snow-blower from the mechanic at work this afternoon....
Picture090.jpg

Picture091.jpg

Last edited:
Dayum!! I thought the snow was out in Colorado...NOT Massachusetts..!!
But better snow than another hurricane..eh..??
:cheers:
J2F

Yessir. "L" head and Flo-jet carb. I like these engines better than the Tecumsehs, even tho theres nothing wrong with them. My 1980 Toro has this same engine, but I ground the valves on it and it has a new carb. I also have a spare 11 horse Briggs.

The starter threw me at first. I keep those L-head Briggs engines around for my splitter, although I use the vertical shaft on the splitter. Good motors, and easy to work on.

33 and snow/rain mix tonight [catskill mtns nys] 50s partly sunny friday doing some charity removal/cleanup @ scout camp . the good days will be winding down from here on

I laughed this morning when the weatherman said we may get up to 3 inches tonight.............

I'm not laughing any more ! :bang:

Heres my work horse. I do 13 driveways and walkways a storm with this one. You can't beat heavy gauge steel plate for a commercial duty machine. The stamped sheet metal units just wont hold up to severe use. I do take good care of it though. The Gilson will be a good backup.
saws334.jpg

What happened to the global warming..??

Truly...I heard a radio (NPR) excerpt detailing what "really to expect"

2020 vs. 1900...

The "mildest" winters of ~ 2020 would be colder than the "coldest" winters of ~ 1900...

The "mildest" summers of ~ 2020 would be hotter than the "hottest" summers of ~ 1900.

Just what was said...and FWIW..!!

In other words...global warming isn't what most people think..!! i.e. warmer all the time..!!

Sorry Joe...if I am posting this inappropriately..!!!
J2F

Last edited:
Nice blower Joe, and getting cold here, and fast. Already had the wood stove going a time or two in the beging , of the month.

Heres my work horse. I do 13 driveways and walkways a storm with this one. You can't beat heavy gauge steel plate for a commercial duty machine. The stamped sheet metal units just wont hold up to severe use. I do take good care of it though. The Gilson will be a good backup.
saws334.jpg

Just what is that thing?? Why do the tires have chains on them??:msp_unsure:

O.M.G. Snow! Don't want to think about it.:msp_w00t:

Gotta find me a young whipper-snapper this winter who is not afraid to run a shovel.

joe25DA, I feel your pain

Just watched the morning weather report, for the weekend. Not Good

We could get 3"- 6" inches of the lovely white stuff tomorrow.

We had already gotten about 1 1/2" about 2 weeks ago, it was just a freak overnight snow, only in the highest mountains. 5 miles down the hill, they got nothing.

Your snowblower looks good; and they really work nice; especialy in tight areas and sidewalks. I use one similar to yours to clear an area for the dogs. My dogs don't have really long legs, and going to the bathroom is hard for them in about 6+ inches.

warm to cold

What happened to the global warming..??

Truly...I heard a radio (NPR) excerpt detailing what "really to expect"

2020 vs. 1900...

The "mildest" winters of ~ 2020 would be colder than the "coldest" winters of ~ 1900...

The "mildest" summers of ~ 2020 would be hotter than the "hottest" summers of ~ 1900.

Just what was said...and FWIW..!!

In other words...global warming isn't what most people think..!! i.e. warmer all the time..!!

Sorry Joe...if I am posting this inappropriately..!!!
J2F

Getting cold for a lot of people would be one consequence of overall slight global warming.

It has to do with slowing down of the gulf stream, the "Atlantic conveyor", due to increases of cold fresh water hitting it from the arctic regions. If you get a bit more arctic ice melt, this in turn exposes more dark colored rocks, which absorb solar radiation more, gets warmer, causing more ice to melt, etc. The more the gulfstream slows down, the colder it will get in the northern hemisphere, especially NE US and Europe. You'll also get an effect from this of the jetstream flowing more southerly more often, bringing much colder air in the US further south.

So yes, a slight increase in overall global warming-whatever the combined multiple causes are, natural and man made, can and will cause it to be a lot colder in some areas.

Albedo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thermohaline circulation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's been a lot of political and economic chicanery in this discussion, but guaranteed it sure isn't all crack pottery, there is some pretty good science behind it. It is *really* complex though, so many variables that need inputting. Just tons and tons of natural cyclic stuff, sunspot activity, etc, but..I wouldn't dismiss billions of tons of man produced aerosols and particulate matter in the atmosphere either in our time frame. It has been so short geologically speaking with the time frame since the huge population rises and industrialization of the planet that we have no credible past records to look at. It's just too new, this volume of man made activity, all the 20th century-on stuff.

My opinion, it is isn't all natural or all man made, both (politicized) extremes are incorrect, it is a complex mixture of both.

I have an older Gilson that was given to me last year. That thing is built like a tank !
The old Briggs runs great, too. It has an electric starter but I enjoy seeing if it will start with the pull cord. I remember a day at -15F last winter. As usual, it started on the 2nd pull. :smile2:
It had tire chains on it but the site linked above recommended without so I took them off. I agree now. My tires are V-tread, like a tractor, fwiw.
I have bought parts from him too. Good to deal with for parts and advice.

My family moved from South Dakota to Tennessee last winter. I like when it "snows" around here. Everything lets out and shuts down. The schools shut down when the weatherman says the words snow and tomorrow in the same sentance. The first time school was let you our 7 year old asked why school was out. My wife told him it was because it was going to snow the next day. He said I understand that but why is school going to be out.

Now if I could just understand why people live here in August...:sweat:

It's way too early for snow. I guess I'll be working on the snowblower this weekend. I have a Gilson as well, and it's a good machine for the most part. It does have trouble with the heavier snow though.

Chains are a must around here. There is too much ice.

Latest posts

Back