Too many Close Calls in one Day

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

himiler

If I wake up . . . it's a good day.
Reaction score
I'm posting this here instead of the Injuries forum to hopefully direct you new guys over to that site and to preach a bit of safety.
Started off the day well enough, nice, cool, and had my son-in-law for an experienced groundie. We always repeat out loud the address of where we're working for that day and I leave the keys to the truck where they can be retrieved by anyone who knows where they are.
Before the day was over I had slipped out of the tree twice, allowed the chain saw to come dangerously close to my leg (the spinning chain actually left a scuff mark on the top of my boot), and tripped over a limb while working with a chain saw on the ground and instead of throwing the chainsaw away from me, I ended up having it hit me on the side after I fell.
Miraculously I walked away from the day with no injuries but I believe only by listening to others on this site preach safety and most of all by the grace of God.
When releasing the flip line to climb or reposition I had the slack taken out of the life line which meant when I fell out of the tree all I really did was swing out and have to re climb.
The chainsaw stunt was just plain stupid. I was using a 50cc ground saw up in the tree one handed without thinking through where that thing would end up after the cut. A scuff on my boot was the extent of the damage.
When I was on the ground and tripped at least I tried to throw the saw away from me. If I would have held onto it there may have been the chance for that thing to have revved up and cut me bad! As it was all that happened was an idling saw knocked me in the ribs.
It's not if accidents will happen, it's when. Make sure you all spend some time in the accident and injuries forum learning from others mistakes. There's a wealth of information throughout Arboristsite and this is one area you don't need to think you know enough of!
Steve

I think most accidents are due to being careless. I don't believe I have ever had this many close calls in one day, it was a real wakeup after the day was over. I was once told to work slower than I think and think faster than I work. After the second incident I should have come out of the tree and thought about things for a while.

Everybody knows who King Midas was, what most folks don't know, he had a brother named Crapola. You can guess what happened to anything he touched.
Once in a while, I feel like Midas. Everything I try to do works perfect.
Most days are normal.
Then there are days when I feel like the brother. On those days, I try to stay away from sharp objects and complicated activities.

Really glad you are ok after such a rough day. Musta been something in the damn atmosphere today. Our crew had a few close ones today as well. I thoroughly believe we all need to slow down alot more. Everyone's way too worried about "production" in all kinds of jobs these days. Anyway, that's a whole different can of worms. Be safe out there bro.

Thanks for sharing.

I myself am trying to cultivate my mindfulness when doing tree work. I worked in production oriented industry for years and know my safety depends on my ability to work (tree work) with the utmost attention to detail. Nothing less is good enough.

If i make a mistake its usually because of fatigue. Or trying to work to fast because billy has a co-ed basketball game he needs to play at 12:30. Its nice turning a 10hr job into a 6 hr job but i also want to show up for work the next day too.

glad your ok, how did the falls occur?
"Falls" were simple enough, reaching out too far for the next limb without setting a redirect or other means of safely traversing from one limb to another. No harm on that, just extra work getting back up in the tree. Always be tied in by at least one item, either the flip line or life line. Oh, and when you get reset ALWAYS have both the flip line and the life line attached.
Steve

Back