Too much saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rokdaddy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been lurking around AS for about a year now. I finally gathered enough information to buy my first firewood saw in August (Husky 353). Given that I had never used a saw before this one, the 353 has been a great saw to cut my teeth on. I am however, starting to realize that my 353 with a 16” bar is a bit small and underpowered when cutting larger logs (mostly juniper). This combined with my fear of getting my bar pinched and having to leave 50 bucks worth of bar and chain behind has convinced me that I need another (larger) saw. I have spent many hours reading about chainsaw safety and kickback and I am about to buy either a Husky 365 or a 372xp with a 20” bar.

My question is this: As a beginner with about 40 hours of saw time and countless hours of research, should I be concerned that the 372xp’s power, higher revs and narrow power band will make the saw difficult or dangerous to use? I am super conscientious when it comes to safety; I always wear full PPE and always keep track of where my bar tip is when I am cutting. I will also be using low kickback bar and chain for a while on either saw, just till I get a better feel for the saw’s power.

Thanks!

First,if you are afraid to stay pinched,use a wedge.That will help you a lot.Depending of the size of the tree,i would say over 16"-18",move to the 372.The 365 has the same construction except for different cc (65-71) and 372 has a more performing engine due to ports design,higher rpm.If you can find a 372,they got rebate on it right now,go for it.

Shure and tis sad to see someone starting down that pernicious road. If one is good, two is better and then you are lost.

Seriously: No, there will be very little if any additional danger with the bigger saw. It sounds like you have done your homework well and have the right equipment. A few cutting tips:

Don't work when tired. The "just one more cut" can bite you big time. Sit down, take a break and commune with nature a bit first.

Don't work by yourself if you can help it. Yes I have been violating that for 30 years now but never leave the house without reminding myself of the hazards.

If you feel like what you are about to do is a bit beyond your comfort level - don't do it. Get help, have someone show you how, etc. I have a professional retired logger who has felled a couple problem trees for me. I could have done it myself but not with confidence.

Harry K

Actually you probably own the absolute best firewood saw I could think of for a non Pro cutter. As suggested-get a plastic felling and bucking wedge. I ssupect that you also need to work on sharpening skills. I know that there are some big junipers in N.M. but most of the firewood cutting areas I've been in had very few cuts over 20" in diameter. If your 353 seems underpowered it either needs some tuning or it is dull. Juniper is dirty stuff so I'd lay odds it is dull. A 372 is a superb saw and it really is not much different to operate than your 353-just heavier.In most Southwestern U.S firewood cutting a 372 won't gain any real speed over the 353. Having a second saw is nice-best wishes if you buy one but I think you need to master the one you have. :angel:

Two saws is good - three is better .....

Really, two saws give you the opportunity to cut with a sharp chain for longer, before you must sharpen them. I agree with Stumper, work a lot on your sharpening skills. It is a lot safer and much more plesureable to cut with a sharp chain. You might also find it handy to have an extra chain for your saw(s), when you are cutting Juniper. It seems to me that Juniper it harder on the chain than anything else I cut here.

If you feel the need for more and more saws, there is probably a 12 step program, that the folks here know of that will help with the saw addiction. Or you can just enjoy it and try other saws.

Hal

turnkey4099 said:
Shure and tis sad to see someone starting down that pernicious road. If one is good, two is better and then you are lost.

Seriously: No, there will be very little if any additional danger with the bigger saw. It sounds like you have done your homework well and have the right equipment. A few cutting tips:

Don't work when tired. The "just one more cut" can bite you big time. Sit down, take a break and commune with nature a bit first.

Don't work by yourself if you can help it. Yes I have been violating that for 30 years now but never leave the house without reminding myself of the hazards.

If you feel like what you are about to do is a bit beyond your comfort level - don't do it. Get help, have someone show you how, etc. I have a professional retired logger who has felled a couple problem trees for me. I could have done it myself but not with confidence.

Harry K

My thoughts exactly. A small saw is just as dangerous as a huge one, only it's weight and fatigue being factors, both of which are manageable.

Jeff

Thanks everyone.

The advice on the chain sharpening was well taken. Just last weekend I managed to dull two freshly sharpened chains in about three hours on some very dirty juniper. I am just getting comfortable with my chain sharpening technique; I can finally put the precision filing practice that I got while working in machine shops to use(insert obligatory smiley thingie here)!

With my kickback concerns put to rest, I went ahead and ordered the 372 today. I will still probably handle it as I would a hand grenade with the pin removed, at least until I get a better feel for it.

It's obvious where the EPA is going with its increasingly stringent restrictions and I wanted to get a larger saw before the EPA tightens things any further. It is a lot of saw for my purposes but I would like to be able to make 16" to 18" cuts in one shot and my 16" bar is too short for that. I also wanted a saw that runs a 20" bar with the same authority that my 353 has with a 16" bar.

Also, being a mechanical designer I love cool mechanical toys. I am sure I will enjoy maintaining these babies as much as I will enjoy using them!

HiOctane said:
First,if you are afraid to stay pinched,use a wedge.That will help you a lot.Depending of the size of the tree,i would say over 16"-18",move to the 372.The 365 has the same construction except for different cc (65-71) and 372 has a more performing engine due to ports design,higher rpm.If you can find a 372,they got rebate on it right now,go for it.
I haven't been able to find any information on a rebate for the 372xp, anyone know how I can take advantage of this?

Thanks.

Good for you for getting the 372. The use of a wedge eliminates the bar getting pinched in most cases. I would pick up and extra bar and chain. If the bar gets stuck or pinched in a tree, just take off the powerhead and leave the bar and chain in the tree. Don't yank on the saw or you will screw-up your anti-vibe mounts! Put on your spare and cut out the stuck bar and chain. It's a hard lesson if you're deep in the woods without a spare bar/chain and pinch your bar. You can get a good deal on a spare bar and chain from Baileys.

Wolfcsm said:
Two saws is good - three is better .....

Really, two saws give you the opportunity to cut with a sharp chain for longer, before you must sharpen them.

Hal
Really good joke :)
Dont have spare sharp chains with you, have lot of saws.

Your new saw operates primarily the same with the same dangers however you will notice a marked difference limbing with 3/8 inch chain vs. a .325 chain like on the 353. the 3/8 inch cutters take larger coarser bites will grab into a limb and provide a greater chance of kickback. also the 372 will be notably heavier and will wear you down sooner. Also I think it is a real good idea to use a chain with the most safety features you can find until you get used to it.

Lucky

Rokdaddy said:
Also, being a mechanical designer I love cool mechanical toys. I am sure I will enjoy maintaining these babies as much as I will enjoy using them!

Hmm...that statement, combined with your signature, certainly sounds like a chainsaw junkie in the making :laugh:.

Back