Tool Forum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
woo hoo. look what followed me home from Home Depot! :surprised3:

I drove my very old Amish neighbor and his wife to a doctors appointment to a town 25 miles away this morning. On the way there he mentioned they had lots of ash trees to cut and needed somebody to do for shares of the wood. The guy they had lined up never showed up. I told him I collected chainsaws and I would sure like to cut them for him. I said that would give me an excuse to buy a splitter. :rolleyes: I dropped them off and had 45 minutes to kill so I went to Home Depot to look around. I walked toward the tool rental area to check on the Makita rental saws and tripped over this. They said they had just put the clearance signs on it! Was just meant to be. Exactly half price.
Cub Cadet 25 ton splitter with Honda engine. Customer return. New condition. $625.:envy: Started on the second pull and works perfect.:dancing:
View attachment 407625 View attachment 407623 View attachment 407624

I have the same splitter under the MTD badge,bought it lightly, used 5 years ago for $775.Works great,the vertical set up is great for big logs.Had my first issue with it recently,the hydraulic valve is leaking fluid at the handle,contacted MTD,$275 for a new valve body,NFW!I found the manufacturer's name on the valve body,Googled them and got an O ring kit,and a bunch of good tech advice all for $26!
RR

.... and for you watchers out there whose hardware store doesn't have such an o-ring selection ... if you live near a tractor dealer with a real service department, chances are they have quite the o-ring assortment as well.

Stopped at a pawn shop on the other side of town on Wednesday while my daughter was at volleyball practice. Ended up buying the contents of a tote for $40. Here are some pictures.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I sorted through hundreds of sockets and put all the name brand ones in this bag.

image.jpg

I will pick out what I want and Craigslist the rest.

Having some spare sockets can come in handy from time to time, you can modify them for special tasks and such.

I have one that became a tool for taking the starter clutch loose on the large frame McCulloch saws, other have been cut and/or welded to serve special purposes.

Mark

I was looking for an inexpensive 3/4" spark plug socket to keep with my saw tools. I found this one on Amazon for $8.50. It is a magnetic socket, and the look and feel is like Hazet or Stahlwille.

Attachments

• OEM 3_4 plug socket.jpg
    OEM 3_4 plug socket.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 20
My high school shop teacher puts aside scrap for me then calls when he has a good pile. Last week he called and said he had something else besides scrap. A Wellsaw horizontal bandsaw. It was condemned cause of a cord repair:dumb:. Anyway he knew I'd appreciate it and now it's mine. Gonna clean it up, new cord and bladeimage.jpg

Picked up this set of 28V Milwaukee cordless tools at a yard sale around the corner this morning. He couldn't find the reciprocating saw, but has my name and number in the event he does. Not bad for $60.

View attachment 363755 View attachment 363756

I made the above post last year about finding a 28 volt Milwaukee tool set around the corner from me for $60. The owner indicated he had a reciprocating saw but could not find it. Over the past 9 months I have stopped by 3 or 4 times when I was running or biking and he was in the yard to see if he had located it. On my run today I saw him in his garage and stopped in and he had found it. Since I am moving Sunday and his house is on the market my stop was truly serendipitous.

image.jpg

Porter Cable Router Recall

Bought a large Porter Cable router many years ago. Got an e-mail today stating that there is a recall, because the handles on the base are not electrically insulated, and could lead to a shock. They are sending replacement bases.

View attachment 357821

Here is the kicker: the email came from Amazon.com, where I bought the router from. Have not received any notice from Porter-Cable, the manufacturer, even though I am one of those guys that typically mail back those warranty cards, just in case of things like this.

Anyway, cudos to Amazon, and if you have or know of someone with a similar router (they were pretty popular), look into the recall at:
http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2014/Porter-Cable-Fixed-Base-Production-Routers-Recalled/

Philbert

This is an old post, but I have the sme router, purchased from Amazon, but I got an email or letter from Porter Cable. I was supposed to destroy the old base, but I'm going to cut the handles off and mount it in my router table.

Here's a drill press project I picked up in March ..

Before:

After:

Tore it completely down and cleaned up. Replaced all the bearings and had the major cast pieces powder coated. The motor that came on it ran, but was pretty well shot. Found a new one (68 years old) on eBay with local pickup .. about an hour away. It runs very nicely.

It's ugly but it works.
A.) 3/4" x 2" npt pipe
B.) 4" carriage bolt
C.) 2 grade 5 nuts.

Cut the head off carriage bolt and welded nut to the end to make a bolt threaded all the way up. I ground the end of the carriage bolt to a taper to fit an 084 crank snout. The 3/4" npt fits the threads on the 084 flywheel. Welded the 2nd nut into the end of the 2"x3/4" and works like a charm for $4 puller.

Anyone that makes one of these be sure not to buy galvanized 2"x3/4". And to grind and clean the metal properly.

d8a34dfc31eed8cc35fcd3344aa809ac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My high school shop teacher puts aside scrap for me then calls when he has a good pile. Last week he called and said he had something else besides scrap. A Wellsaw horizontal bandsaw. It was condemned cause of a cord repair:dumb:. Anyway he knew I'd appreciate it and now it's mine. Gonna clean it up, new cord and bladeView attachment 421371

Nice truck... is it a dumper?

Nice truck... is it a dumper?
not a dumper, would be nice tho ! It's got a 8x9 Omaha stAndard flatbed on it that is like new, I stake bodied it last week. It's an 84 gmc Sierra. 350 4bbl 4pd. Did quite a bit since March:
Plugs, wires, cap, coil, rotor
Pitman arm
New 10 leaf pack HD springs, shackles, u bolts and bushing ( that wasn't cheap)
Fuel filter all oils chainged
New front tire (other one soon)
Made rear bumper/hitch wired for towing
Painted wheels, frame, cab protector
Stake body.
Needs drivers side floor (have it just but to cut and a weld on) u joint, maybe a throw out bearing? Clutch sticks bad right after truck is off
Runs good, I've have some heavy loads 3000lb^ and has had no problem. Gonna make a good firewood truck.
When I got itimage.jpgNow
image.jpg

I have a similar one, 83 with small block and 4sp. 12ft Knaphiede bed on my with a hoist. Dumps 2 cords without fuss.

Latest posts

Back