Tool Forum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I might have to put some saw projects on hold. I picked up a lathe the other day and it needs a little attention but I think it will end up a usefull tool.

Best I can tell is its a Atlas 10F TH42. That means its a 10" swing with a 24" bed. Seems to only need some leadscrew bevel gears and some severe cleanup.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Very nice old lathe Mark. I tried hard to find one of those that was in my meager price range without any luck. I'll have to find a larger one than the one I have now one of these days.

Very nice old lathe Mark. I tried hard to find one of those that was in my meager price range without any luck. I'll have to find a larger one than the one I have now one of these days.

Thanks, I know what you mean. I'm no machinest by any streatch but I am capable of a few basic things so this should do me fine.

If I can come up with the leadscrew gears I'll be good to go as I dont see anything wrong with it otherwise.

Lets just say that this one was pretty affordable and thats the only way I would ever come up with one for the just every now and then use of it.

That lathe looks like a good candidate for disassembly followed by soaking in molasses for a couple weeks. Then it could use a coating of lanolin based rust retarder.

It looks like it was originally sold as a second operation machine from the lack of a quick change box.

I might have to put some saw projects on hold. I picked up a lathe the other day and it needs a little attention but I think it will end up a usefull tool.

Best I can tell is its a Atlas 10F TH42. That means its a 10" swing with a 24" bed. Seems to only need some leadscrew bevel gears and some severe cleanup.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice old Lathe! Check out toolsforcheap.net, he's a really great guy to deal with and great prices. He may have what your looking for.

Metal Lathe-Mark

Well I'll be ! Mark have not seen you over here that I can recall, if so my mistake!I'm glad to see you here!
Real nice machine you picked up.Mark if you require any help may I suggest
Vintage Machinery.com if you go to the top of the page it has a box Discussion Forums.click on that and it brings you to OWWM.org which has a forum for both old wood working machines and also old metal working machines.Have paitence as the OWWM has problems loading due to the host site but you will get on there,keep trying.I'm on there same username.There is also Practical Machinist.com
Lawrence

Well I'll be ! Mark have not seen you over here that I can recall, if so my mistake!I'm glad to see you here!
Real nice machine you picked up.Mark if you require any help may I suggest
Vintage Machinery.com if you go to the top of the page it has a box Discussion Forums.click on that and it brings you to OWWM.org which has a forum for both old wood working machines and also old metal working machines.Have paitence as the OWWM has problems loading due to the host site but you will get on there,keep trying.I'm on there same username.There is also Practical Machinist.com
Lawrence

Pratical machinist is good, but they don't tolerate newbies as much over there, or so I've heard, so I just read there, Home Shop machinist is way better.

Thanks for the suggestions and input. I'm still trying to figure out that molasses thing though... :laugh:

I'll also check out some of those links when I get some time to.

I did get a big surprise today though as I found out the reverseing gearbox gears are stll availlable new and I will be ordering some as soon as I get a chance to tear into it a little deeper to make sure everything else is good.

It may take some time anyway to clean this old thing up. Everything is gunky and stiff on it.

I'm not sure if old iron disease is quite as bad as CAD? It only takes one lathe to make a truckload, I can fit a bunch of saws in the truck. :D

Try Joe at Plaza Machinery for parts. I would definitely try to scare up a QC gearbox, though.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions and input. I'm still trying to figure out that molasses thing though... :laugh:

Molasses is a chelator to rust. The overpriced crap called Evaporust is the same process. Molasses at the cow store costs about 10 bucks a bag, and will make up 100 gallons of derusting tank.

Chelation is a gentle rust removal system, it won't damage the good metal under the rust. Only drawbacks are it attracts flys in summer, and cow molasses makes lousey cookies and shoefly pie.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice lathe Mark. I hope to have one someday. :msp_thumbup:

Molasses is a chelator to rust. The overpriced crap called Evaporust is the same process. Molasses at the cow store costs about 10 bucks a bag, and will make up 100 gallons of derusting tank.

Chelation is a gentle rust removal system, it won't damage the good metal under the rust. Only drawbacks are it attracts flys in summer, and cow molasses makes lousey cookies and shoefly pie.

How would you use molasses? Im looking for a solution to cleaning on the gas tank on my Farmall.

How would you use molasses? Im looking for a solution to cleaning on the gas tank on my Farmall.

Easiest way on a gas tank is to begin by opening the door on a car headed for the crusher, laying out a tarp under the door and breaking the glass. Collect the glass, pour it into the tank and strap the tank onto a tractor wheel for agitation with about a quart of kerosene or Diesel in the tank. Those window glass chunks work better than anything else.

After you get all the rusticles out with the glass, fill the tank with molasses and let it work a while. Then wash it out well with hot water, and do a final treatment with 5% phosphoric acid in water. A good coating that will resist gas is Glyptol, the same stuff that coated the inside of engine castings going back to the 40s, and it is still available at lower cost than the "modern" crap.

Thanks. Gonna give the glass a try if I can find a old window. Lined up a motor to use and turn the tank, instead of the tractor wheel. My 1 gallon tank on the H doesnt get me very far :)

Back