Tool Forum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This morning I was down in the shop and was soda blasting some old parts for a resto. I was wondering if any of you guys employ this method? It is gentle and effective, even safe for cylinders(not inside em) I have even done old carbs, followed up with a spin in the US and they are as good as new.

You you happen to have any pictures of what you did there with the batterries? I guess the plastic surrounding the battery pack comes apart somehow.
Lawrence

My DeWalt battery cases are held together with screws, so they are easy to take apart. I have the battery reassembled, and it is a pain to get them back in, but I might be able to get a pic of the old batteries, just to show the arrangement.

This morning I was down in the shop and was soda blasting some old parts for a resto. I was wondering if any of you guys employ this method? It is gentle and effective, even safe for cylinders(not inside em) I have even done old carbs, followed up with a spin in the US and they are as good as new.

There is a thread on making a home built one...I've done it, and it works well. I've even used it to blow sand.

You you happen to have any pictures of what you did there with the batterries? I guess the plastic surrounding the battery pack comes apart somehow.
Lawrence

Here's a pic of the old batteries:

attachment.php

The battery on top connects from the bottom to the battery in front of it, and at the top to a plug. It's the last battery in the series. The first battery is just behind it, and connects by a wire to the other prong of a plug.

You can see that the subC batteries come with a cardboard cover. You probably could get the pack to fit a little more easily by leaving these off.

Odd sledge/maul/???

OK I have no idea where this came from since I've worked there for going on 7 years and never saw it once before, but this thing showed up at the mill a couple days ago:

attachment.php

It's about the size of a 5-6 lb splitting maul, but the head is designed more like an adze. However it's blunt as can be, and was obviously designed and cast that way, so I have no idea what it would be used for. I'm inclined to think some sort of railway application because I've seen so many odd hammers and prybars from that field, but I really don't know.

Brad, the guys in the shop here have those for changing truck tires. The blunt end gets hammered in to break the bead.

At least I think thats what it is.;)

Yep thats a tire hammer...too many hours spent on that thing to list. The curved end is used to break the bead..gotta have good aim though. If you miss and hit the rim...everyone around will laugh at you.

OK I have no idea where this came from since I've worked there for going on 7 years and never saw it once before, but this thing showed up at the mill a couple days ago:

It's about the size of a 5-6 lb splitting maul, but the head is designed more like an adze. However it's blunt as can be, and was obviously designed and cast that way, so I have no idea what it would be used for. I'm inclined to think some sort of railway application because I've seen so many odd hammers and prybars from that field, but I really don't know.

Yup I agree tire hammer, breaking beads, back in the old days. We have one at our shop. No I've never used it.

When I worked in the film industry we used ORANGE STICKS for cleaning camera film gates etc. I still have some onhand and use them to clean delicate parts that I don't want to scratch, damage, short out or mar. They also work to apply a small amount of paint, lubricant or cleaner in recessed locations. Here's a pic of the ones I use but in an internet search I found some but most are used today by manicurists. A link follows as well.

Great Link! I have been looking for a supplier of these various items; orange sticks tongue depressors, swabs. etc. Thanks, 7oaks!

What did I miss?

I have been out of the AS loop for bit due the renovation of the master bedroom and my Mom's passing so you fellas need to fill me in a bit here.What are orange sticks?
Thanks
Lawrence

Everybody around will laugh except the owner of the rim. :angry:

Not as much as you might think.

Back in the day, things were made out of heavy iron, and heavy truck, industrial equipment and tractor rims did not show much effect when hit wrong.

Grayhound buses were the only aluminum rims I knew of, and there was not a not of chrome rims, you just needed to lube them more, and be a little more seasoned with them. (car light-truck tires would brake o a tire machine)

A trick that worked was to stand with your feet on the tire to put some weight where your trying to get the bead to start opening, and round-house the hammer between your feet

It's been over 30 years since I was handy with a tire-hammer, bet I could still brake a bead with one, but I would practice on something like an old ten-hundred-twenty (10.00/20) OTR split-rim would be fun.

I won't go near anything with a split rim. A friend of my uncle's was killed back in Ontario years ago when a split rim on a FEL tire, well, split apart while he was working beside it; dang near took his head off. A lot of wrong place, wrong time, but still... Personally I don't like working with any wheels or tires I can't manhandle by myself!

We still break them down with the tire hammer, two dump trucks and a front end loader need tires changed out occasionally or flats fixed, they just don`t fit on the automotive tire machines. Always turn a split rim away from you when applying air. When filling up a broken down tire, whether new or a repaired/replacement one we either run a logging chain around and through the rim several turns or gently lower the loader bucket cutting edge down to just bear on the rim, then clip on the air chuck and back away. Give the split rim a good tap in a few places around the rim with a long handle sledge hammer to make sure it has seated when the tire is fully inflated.

Pioneerguy600

Latest posts

Back