Tool to raise logs off ground for sawing! (log jack)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy_Bob

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I don't know why no one in my area uses one of these or told me about this, but I sure found a dandy tool for cutting logs for firewood. It is called a "Timberjack" or "Log Jack".

I found it by accident. I went to a local logging store to buy a peavey (to help me roll large logs around) and next to the peaveys was this log jack tool. I bought one as well as a large peavey (to move the larger logs found in my area).

Well I went out to the woods today to cut firewood. There is a large pile of logs on the ground where I went. I was able to use the log jack as a peavey to easily roll a log away from the others so I could safely cut it...

*AND* I was also able to use this tool to easily raise the log a little off the ground so I could make cuts without my chain touching the ground or needing to saw part way through, rotate, and then finish the cut.

I just zipped through my work! I would guess this cut my sawing time in half or sure seemed like it!

The only thing is that we have quite large diameter logs around here and I heard the wood handle creaking a bit while lifting a small 17" diameter log. I don't know if this would hold up for use with a large 36" diameter logs or not?

Needless to say I am quite happy with my purchase. Here is a picture of a log jack (Timberjack)...
http://store.baileys-online.com/cgi-bin/baileys/561?mv_session_id=czWkaxsX&product_sku=15810

Also I found this interesting page on cant hooks and peaveys...
http://www.ruralheritage.com/logging_camp/peavey.htm

Good idea.

I suppose you could always swap out the handle for a steel pole, maybe longer too.

i bought the northerntool timber jack and i broke the jack part i swear on the first log ;-) i could weld it but now i just use it as a pevey to role logs and Evan at that it sucks because it just dose not hook and stick into the log it slides on me

i may grinde down the hook so it sticks into the log better

thanks
Jason

I purchased a similar tool last fall and found that it's practical applications are limited. When the ground is soft, leave it in the truck as it sinks instead of lifting. If the log is crooked leave it in the truck too. With straight logs and hard ground it realy saves the ole back, time and chains

firewood cutting

I still cut firewood the old fasioned way off the log pile. Or I use the tractor bucket to lift them off the ground and prop a cut long under it, then cut. Or 1/2 cut and then roll logs and cut the rest keeping the bar/chain off the ground. Some of the trees and logs that I cut are way too large to deal with by hand, or with hand tools. Have to use the tractor. :biggrinbounce2:

It looks like the "log rite" peaveys on Bailey's have aluminum handles and you can get a timberjack attachment for them too. You can drop a hundred $ on the combo pretty easily tho... they're pricey. I'll end up with one of the wooden handled ones because of cost and the logs I deal with max out at about 18" but the norm is around 12".

Ian

I like them slightly modified

The handle on mine is something like 3 1/2 ft. There is also a shorter 3 ft version out there as well. The mods are as follows:

The opening is a little small, and the effective lift is about double what is needed. Cut about half the leg part that fits the cant hook. Drill a hole and now you have about double the leverage. Use the piece you cut off to lengthen the hook end, and then make new "teeth" for it. I used some 1/8 plate and filed/shaped it to a decent angle.

Result is that I can lift a 20" log, and still have enough room to stay out of the dirt while blocking.

-Pat :clap:

RoosterBoy said:
i bought the northerntool timber jack and i broke the jack part i swear on the first log ;-) i could weld it but now i just use it as a pevey to role logs and Evan at that it sucks because it just dose not hook and stick into the log it slides on me

thanks
Jason

I bought the same one only I didn't break mine. But i did have the same problem with the hook not sticking very well. i was going to grind mine down a little to define the hook a little more. let me know how well yours works after your mods.

I bought 2 of the timberjacks last year form Northern. I gave one to my dad for Christmas and kept one for myself. Mine bent when I tried to lift a log I didnt know was frozen to the ground. My dads also bent or broke too. I am going to slip a piece of thick wall pipe over mine and weld it on so it wont bend so easily. I ended up making my own out of some scrap hardened shafting I scavenged from work. I have yet to find a log that comes close to bending this one, 24" is usually the biggest stuff I am cutting anyhow. I had trouble with the hook grabbing on both of mine when I first started using them. All I do now is give the hook a kick with the heel of my boot or use a 3lb hammer and give it one whack at the point to get it to bite. It usually doesnt take much to get it to grab.

Last edited:
RoosterBoy said:

thanks
Jason
I had the same problem with a Pevey( actually the point came out) so I modified it so that I can roll the logs. I deal with a lot of maple and ash up to 40" and just roll the log onto wedges to get it off the ground for bucking. I have broken the wooden handle two times in about 10 years.

View attachment 38927

i just cut my wood off the pile as well. i just got my baileys catalog so i may need another tool:biggrinbounce2: neighbor works for a mill and he brought over a "pickerone"(sp) and like always i was like what is that for. well that was a month ago:D i'm going to have to buy one of those also.

I screwed up and bought one of those junk Northerntool log jacks too. The hook is cast and not forged like a good cant hook and the first big log you try to muscle over with it will break the spur off and it will be useless except as an overpriced club. Do yourself a favor and buy a good cant hook with a forged hook or a LogRite and their timber jack attachment.
Finnbear

RoosterBoy said:

thanks
Jason

Sotz used to sell a "Log Lifter". Their version of a cant hook with a lifting foot. They work well. I've had mine for ~20 years.

Bob

Anybody tried one of these on big rounds, say, 36" diameter? And maybe 24" long?

I've got a bunch that go from 12 inches up to that size, and most are a tad long for my stove. I need to trim a to about 18".

Last edited:
With some inch or inch and a quarter schedule 40 or thicker pipe, I bet you could make one like mine that would do the trick. Maybe a longer handle.

tawilson said:
With some inch or inch and a quarter schedule 40 or thicker pipe, I bet you could make one like mine that would do the trick. Maybe a longer handle.

Hmmm. I've got the pipe. Inch and a quarter AND inch and a half. Courtesy of a remodeling job in the office building where I work. I shamelessly scrounged a bunch that was tossed in the dumpster. :D

Just like I shamelessly scrounged a bunch of brand new conduit (one inch and 2 inch!) that was tossed in the dumpster, and a few nice solid core doors (nice benchtops), and a few hundred feet of 1/2"AC Flex Conduit, in various lengths (mostly 20' and longer), enough to wire my shed into a respectable shop. :hmm3grin2orange:

But I have'nt been able to scrounge a welder yet! :laugh:

Haywire Haywood said:
roll them up on a couple of 4x4s that are notched so they don't roll back off.

I do, but it would be easier (I think) just to jack them where they are...

Back