Toolbox for in the woods?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnw

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I tried searching but didn't come up with much. I know I can go to the big box stores and go buy any generic brand toolbox I want (and that may be what I do), but I was curious what everyone on here uses? I'm looking for a small to medium sized toolbox that can hold the basic hand tools, files (and their pouches), file guides, extra bar nuts, an air filter or two, spark plugs, maybe some wedges, etc...

Rather than go buy some random toolbox I was wondering what you guys may have found that works well for what I listed above? Is there anything that has worked exceedingly well for you guys? All I ever do is cut firewood, so I don't need anything too over the top. Heck, maybe asking this question is already over the top :laugh:

Thanks!
Shawn

I tried searching but didn't come up with much. I know I can go to the big box stores and go buy any generic brand toolbox I want (and that may be what I do), but I was curious what everyone on here uses? I'm looking for a small to medium sized toolbox that can hold the basic hand tools, files (and their pouches), file guides, extra bar nuts, an air filter or two, spark plugs, maybe some wedges, etc...

Rather than go buy some random toolbox I was wondering what you guys may have found that works well for what I listed above? Is there anything that has worked exceedingly well for you guys? All I ever do is cut firewood, so I don't need anything too over the top. Heck, maybe asking this question is already over the top :laugh:

Thanks!
Shawn

This has worked out perfectly for me. The large center compartment fits a 1 gallon jug of bar oil if you were wondering.

10 in. All-Purpose Tote-81834N09 at The Home Depot

I use a blow moulded box I bought years ago it's called "Truck Box" it will hold every thing you need 2 extra bars, chains, misc tools and a rag or two. I'll try to get a pic later.

I bring a unclaimed milkcrate and fill with fuel and oil jugs , a plastic welding rod container for files screnches, small parts, fislers25 in there as well . Wedges are just thrown in loose.

I use a Delta Packer 75 tool box. The tool box fits inside the loader bucket of my tractor. It's got room for several saws, gas, oil, tools, pevey and a rope.
Use the tool boxes inside the barn to store the power heads of my saws. The Packer 75 size will hold 7 powerheads and the Packer 90 will hold 9 powerheads.

I use a Delta Packer 75 tool box. The tool box fits inside the loader bucket of my tractor. It's got room for several saws, gas, oil, tools, pevey and a rope.
Use the tool boxes inside the barn to store the power heads of my saws. The Packer 75 size will hold 7 powerheads and the Packer 90 will hold 9 powerheads.
Wow, now that's a tool box!

DSC_7991.jpg

Behide that saw is the tool box that I carry in the truck when cutting firewood

It's a Monkey Wards tool box I got in the early 70's

What ever saw I'm using that day I carry and extra chain; at any giving time there will be 6 loops in it; extra air cleaner; spark plugs; couple lengths of starting rope; tach; three different sizes of files; and all kinds of tools

I prefer the 5 gallon bucket with the tool pouch (buy at the big box store) wrapped around it. Everything I need in there and I can toss the little homelite/extra chains/oil w/e in the bucket. This way I can carry the big saw in one hand and everything else in the other :)

the craftsman black toolbags work great not to big and they don't take up much room in the truck box.

This has worked out perfectly for me. The large center compartment fits a 1 gallon jug of bar oil if you were wondering.

Yes the Husky bags at Home Depot are very good quality. I've had two for 2 years now and they each carry 50lbs of tools great.

I really like the open bag because you can grab and tool in seconds. They are all visible. :D

I use a Stanley plastic water proof box from Lowes, they are very sturdy and will hold wrenches files, everything you mentioned and a few spare chains.

I think mine was $19 on sale

I got mine at a yardsale - couldnt tell you what kind it is, i think i paid $2 for it as it isnt pretty, but it works beautifully.

Its big enough to stick a quart of oil and a small jerry-can of mix in. I can also fit wedges, spare gloves, a bottle of water and a few miscellaneous items in. I then have a small (maybe 10 inches long) hilti metal case that i keep my tach, files, screnches and a multitool in .

The box is tough enough to be a stool too, when I want a rest & dont want to sit on the ground.

Thanks!
Shawn

Toolbox in the woods - definately not!

I just bring a small "bag" of heavy cloth with specific tools and parts, in a little back-pack + whatever else I think I could need (always including wedges, and something to hit them with).....

I usually just use my truck as a "toolbox" and I find it easier and quicker to take a few more saws along than extra chains, parts, etc. I find I can do a lot more work in a day if keep swapping saws instead of resharpening chains (regularly) and fixing stuff. I guess CAD has its advantages...

But if you're in a situation where you need to use one saw, then a small toolbox is a great idea.

I carry and leave everything in the truck. Tools and parts go in a .50 cal ammo can. Two 2.5 gallons of mix (different ratios for old and new saws), gallon of oil, bottles of mix, muffs, etc. go in an old metal milk crate. Ron

Plano fishing tackle box model 6300. 16" long, 7" deep, 8" tall. May not seem large but i can get two air filters, plugs, sprockets, sprocket washers, bar nuts,fuel lines, files, handles for files, feeler gauges, grease gun, bunch of screwdrivers, flashlight, knife, tachometer, scwrench, two mix oils, 2"paintbrush for dusting and more. All plastic, had it since i was a kid, from the early to mid 70's, got another one model 6300N, its a little different layout but would work also. Ive looked and cant find anything i would want thats available now. Love the adjustable dividers and quality of the past.

Anything and everything else fits in the Husky powerbox.

Last edited:

I use a similar softside bag, zips closed. Stores my chaps and muffs and gloves when not in use. Has a shoulder strap if I need to carry it gfar from the truck, but because I cut on my property, i can usually drive within a few yard of what I am cutting, so it all stays in the truck anyhoo. I have a smaller bag just like it I may make into a more portable deal for wedges, hatchet etc but I typically carry those on my belt so not sure the need.....

dw

Latest posts

Back