Top 5 chainsaw designs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is from a homeowner's perspective, not a pro logger:
Going with 2 Homelites: XL and Super XL.
Brought an affordable chainsaw to the masses, and BOY, did they produce a LOT of them, many of which are still running.
Next the Poulan 3300/330 series saws. 50cc screamers that were built for professionals.
Gotta give love to the Husky 350s awesome power to weight, reliable, but really affordable.
Echo 590. Really is king at it's price.

New to the site, but here goes:

Stihl 026
Husqvarna 262xp
Stihl 066
Jonsered 910e
Stihl 041 Farm Boss

041 is my nostalgia kicking in. We ran my Dad's saw (circa 1972) until the mid 2000s. It never did die, just got lost when a shop went out of business. Old beast cut a lot of firewood (and numbed a lot of hands). Just recently rebuilt two that I got running and handed one of them back to my dad. Even though he has a couple of newer saws, he was pretty thrilled to have an 041 again.

Nobody is going to answer fairly by design- most are going to answer by their own favourites.
If you have only ever owned half a dozen saws, all from the same manufacturer and burn less than 5 gallons of fuel through them per annum- you will be bias to what you know.

By design? For every answer, there is an alternative that might be just as suited for another user.
But design wise.....
1: Stihl Contra
2: Husqvarna 162
3: Stihl 200T
4: Jonsered 2094
5: Husqvarna 357/359

Sure, that list is biased to what I own, use, have experience with, what I was exposed to over the last four decades of saw use and my geographic location, species cut. If I were a couple of decades older, there might be some big American and Canadian (or Canadien?) saws on that list from when we could still cut native trees here.

You could list by CC rating, or by type, consumer or pro- top 5 is perhaps too open of a question. In the "modern" era and top handle list- it would be hard pressed to put any saw above the Stihl 200T on any top 5 ranking.
Ranking on popularity, it would be hard to not list the early Stihl 066 or Husqvarna 372.......

Tough question, you have to limit it to your personal experience.
Much as I like my old homelites, so far I found the easiest saws to work on have been Husqvarnas.
I mostly cut firewood, my 3 favorite's for this are, by size, Stihl ms250, Husqvarna 55, Pioneer p40. Don't need anything much bigger around here than the p40.

Back