top 5 free standing wod stoves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hanko

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
sold my charmaster furnace this afternoon, i called the dealer that sells jotul and hearthstone, and she cant get me an oslo for a few weeks. I have another guy that sells lopi. so let me hear all the different opinions on free standing wood stoves. I really want the oslo. My house is 1500 sq, newer with top of the line insulation and windows. Im placing the stove right in the center of the house. OK guys have at it

If ya really want the oslo, wait for it. If ya don't you'll regret it. That said, I heat a 2000 sq. ft home with a Lopi Endeavor. It is marginal during the coldest weather, below 0*, but the house is not that well insulated. I think it would run you out of 1500 well insulated sq. ft. Get the fans...

Why did you get rid of your furnace???

no basement, had it in the garage. It heated the house good but used a ton of wood. like i haved gone thru allmost 8 cord so far. My son has the same lopi that you do 1400 sq, and it runs him out. hes just starting into his 4th cord

I have a 4300 Quadrafire step top and love it. It heats my 1400 sq. house great. Its the easiest stove I have ever used.
John

There's the Lopi Endeavor in my avatar. I heat a 2000' insulated ranch with it no problem, it'll run us out if I'm not careful. Of course it rarely gets into the teens where I'm at. I skipped the fan, not necessary for us. I've burned about three cord of Doug Fir this year and havn't needed to clean the glass yet. :cheers:

Pacific Energy Summit.

Using it to heat over 3000 sq. feet, including the basement, where the stove is located. Does a good job until the low teens.

Wood usage is just over the 3 1/2 cord mark so far. Oil back up has run 16 times this season so far. We keep the t-stat set at 65*. House is 30 + years old and could use some updated insulation.

Nice looking stove and easy to use.

Lots of good choices out there these days.
Post a pic when you've gotten it set up.

Hey not to beg but, could you guys post pics? I'm lookin at building one and could use in info.:)

Pacific Energy

I have to agree with PA Plumber, Pacific Energy makes a really good stove. I will say that I do not know of the stoves that you are talking about so I can't really compare.

I can say that I'm currently heating 1300 sqft, of a drafty (old windows/doors) 30 yr old bungalow with a Vista (small stove of the line-up). The stoves are really efficient (great non-cat afterburn technology).

I've burned 3 cord this year and 50gal of oil, while living in Ontario. Its been a long cold winter this year. We've only had to put the oil on when we go away. @ -30C the stove is nearing its abilities, but again our windows/doors are old and you can literally feel wind in the living room if its really blowing outside.

Having bought the Vista, I can say that I would recommend the Summit (larger fire box). The Vista's fb limits you to 14 -15" wood sideways (you can stuff a 17.5" but its a pain).

Pacific Energy Vista Clasic pics

They come in 4-5 colors which will give the wife something to think about. Flat black is available as well.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Cheers.

Want efficiency, long burns, controlled heating ? Get a cat stove. Woodstock stoves have a solid rep with buyers and their warranty and trial run are the best of any maker. Check out the hearthnet stove reviews.
Like TreeC says, the Jotul Oslo is a fine stove as a non-cat, the ash system is good, BUT it's impossible to load from the front because of the engineering: ash spills. :chainsaw: Loading from the side works well. Get the porcelain finish.
However ( big fat "however" :confused: ) once you get beyond the initial out of the box quality problems with the CFM Majestic Vermont Castings Encore, it's a super heater. It's our second 24/7 heater for the place here. We get easily 2X long burns from the Encore compared to the Oslo (same species, similar space), and more controlled burns with the Encore cat and thermostaic air control. Since the Encore ( and Oslo) are used for full time 100% heat --none of this "I set the oil furnmace thermostat to 65 F" stuff-- the Encore cat is cleaned every season and replaced every 2-3 years. Just the cost of doing wood heat in a northern climate. Non-cat stoves also need parts and maintenance if you use them for heating: gaskets, air tubes, seam seals. JMNSHO:clap:

Ive gota couple stoves not being used that you can pic from, Ill loan you one till you get a replacement...Eric
I appreciate the offer, im dealing with heat&sweep in Okemos. Ive got to install a new chimney too which will happen monday ( I hope). the exhisting chimney is in the garage, I guess I wont be using it any more. Maybe ILL look for an old antique stove for bull#### purposes

This is the only place I have heard of Jotul. Hearthstone is about all we are offered around here. My parents have had the same hearthstone stove for the last 25 years, and I have had mine for the last 10? years its been awhile. If I buy another it will be the hearthstone. Beautiful stoves for sure and long lasting, not saying the jotul is not equal in out put or quaility.

Woodstock soapstone

Fire view by woodstock soap stone stove co.:clap: :clap: :clap: :jawdrop:

Take the G.D. 180 out of the hanger. Redline her. Pull on carb heat. Duct it into the house.
Damn, if you can afford to run that baby, why worry about heating bills ? Aviation fuel is what now $$$$$$$$ ?:confused:

Regency F2400M

The Regency is my 4th stove....And the best I've owned.Super efficient,with clean and long burn times.The build quality is even above that of the P.E. stoves(IMO)....and they're of high quality.Check out the last pic of the secondary burn.

Take the G.D. 180 out of the hanger. Redline her. Pull on carb heat. Duct it into the house.
Damn, if you can afford to run that baby, why worry about heating bills ? Aviation fuel is what now $$$$$$$$ ?:confused:
allmost 5 bucks a gallon. I dont have to fly, i do need to stay warm

Latest posts

Back