top handle saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Springy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I need some recomendations on a top handle saw. im tired of hand sawing or dragging my 460 up a tree. any help or advice would be helpful. im a weekend warrior so id take old school ones too.

I'm pretty partial to my 3410 Dolmars.
I also have a couple of S25DA Poulans that are GREAT little saws with enough power to do midsize firewood.
Then there's a 300 Echo that, while not a powerhouse by any means, is just a good reliable little saw. Starts every time and runs like a top.

Mike

I bought a Husky T435 a few weeks ago and have been happy with it after getting it broken in.

By the way,

Shortly there will be a contingent along that will tell you how dangerous the top handle saws are.
They are full of............................whatever.
Top handles are no more dangerous than any other saw, and any will bite you if you don't keep your head in the game.

Mike

Where are you located in VA? I really like my Poulan XXV,Stihl 015 and my little Homelite XL2 auto. I probably grab the Homie the most just because I really like the dual triggers on it.

im in the orange/louisa area. thanks for the input everyone. has anyone ran a top handle mac?? saw one on clist the other day. cant find the little poulans or the homlites ive been looking all over the state.

im in the orange/louisa area. thanks for the input everyone. has anyone ran a top handle mac?? saw one on clist the other day. cant find the little poulans or the homlites ive been looking all over the state.

Yes I have and all I have to say about that is...........................................RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

I have a echo cs360t and I love it. I clear power lines for a living. The little echo gets ran day in and day out every day and not one hiccup.

I have several Homies and Poulans(some are wearing the craftsman coat) that I would sell you if you are interested. Some need minor tinkering,some major and some need nothing at all. I have a bunch of the top handle Macs too if you want them I will sell you the whole lot cheap! :bowdown:

Where were you 3 weekends ago......? We had a GTG in southeastern Louisa County where you could have run some and I could have hooked you up with what you need. I grew up outside of Ruckersville (in Albemarle) and still own property in Louisa. I bought a couple of little Redmax top handles a couple of months ago and they seem to do a decent job. Not as fast as my 200T, but not in the same price range either.

RedmaxG30013_zpsddae6bf0.jpg

I've used a Power Mac 6 and a Mac 110. The PM6 isn't a bad saw, but the 100 series(110,120,130, etc.) suck. They're porky, poorly balanced machines. The T435 husky I bought has more power, is a pound or more lighter, and better balanced. I've handled my uncle's Echo 360T, but haven't cut with it. The balance and weight are ok. I have cut with his Stihl 192T, and I wasn't impressed with it. The weight and balance are good, but it seemed short on power, and also seemed a little sluggish when opening the throttle. I don't think he would buy another one, based on his unhappiness with the oiler and that it doesn't want to pump anything but stihl bar oil.

Sorry, gotta say it.

I have climbed with just about every top handle out there. You name it, 330, 341, 360, 338, 192, 201, t435, and I'm sorry, but nuthin beats a 200. So live on ramen, whatever it takes, but it will be worth it. There is a reason they get talked up so much, and you'll never regret it.

Stihl MS200 TH is no longer available and used prices are exorbitant as far as I have heard.

Back