Top handle saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bootboy

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've heard people rave about the ms200t as the one to get but I'm curious if anyone out there can recommend either of the husky top handles. I've not heard much about them and I'm wondering if the reason for that is that they aren't worth the time or money. I'm looking for a good value in a top handle saw that I can depend on for years to come.

Your thoughts?

top handle saw

what kind of "stuff" are you going to be cutting? the ms200t's are the best but also the most expensive. in my area they are 630 bucks! what are you going to use it for? pruning? firewood? scaring your old lady? you have lots of options. you could just get the stihl 192t it has a little less power and is lighter, but its half the price of the ms200t. its dependable but is slow cutting wood that is real thick and you dont want to burn it up. you could go with an echo 300 330t 341 or 360t. echo makes a decent dependable saw. they price from 250-350$.. more power more money. i personally would not buy a husky. i find they can be temperamental in the long term (others will disagree). i have been using chainsaws for nearly 30 years, 21 as a full time tree guy. i have used them all... every damn one. i hope this helps... and i hope you realize now that i've told you my 2 cents their will be a long line of husky lovers with their knifes drawn to stab me in the back right after i log off, but hey... i dont mind putting myself out on a limb. ####'em ....listen to everyone then make up your own mind. if you buy a #### saw sell it on ebay and put the money into a different brand.

Last edited:
Hit the pawn shops, craigs list, trading post, etc and keep your eyeballs peeled for thrashed but rebuildable 200T's.

Might take some dinking around, but they really are worth all the fuss and rate the hype. Don't settle if you don't have to.;)

Now that I have the bugs out of mine, I can't see not having one, and for any reason.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

It will be a climbing saw. I'm going into business part time climbing/cutting for my buddy who owns a yard care business.

I have a Jonsered 2139 T. Had it about 18 months now. I do not run it every day, but it always starts easy, makes decent power and fills all my needs for a top handle saw. Think I paid something like $375 OTD.

You might want to read up on Dolmar's PS-3410TH. Its light, relatively powerful and very reliable. Its also about half to two-thirds of what a new 200T sells for.
Not knocking the Stihl as its a great saw, just depends on needs and budget.

I've heard people rave about the ms200t as the one to get but I'm curious if anyone out there can recommend either of the husky top handles. I've not heard much about them and I'm wondering if the reason for that is that they aren't worth the time or money. I'm looking for a good value in a top handle saw that I can depend on for years to come.
Your thoughts?
Well..first off the 200T is the ONLY Pro grade top handle...and you're gonna pay for it..!!
Is it worth the cost..?? I think so especially if you're going to be using it for your business.
(easy to rebuild when needed...and hold their $$value really well..!!)

The others are 'homeowner' grade and thus cost less.. BUT..they are not bad saws at all.
I use my 192T twice as much as I do my 200T. It's super light and does smaller stuff great.

I think the main consideration for a top handle is..how does it feel in your hands..!!
If it doesn't feel good in the shop..it ain't gonna feel any better up in a tree.
If you can find a dealer who will let you try one on premises..that would be great.

To answer your Husky question..Husky has the T540 model somewhere but not in the U.S.
Who knows when it will be be available..?? It's supposed to be the equivalent of the 200T.

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/149816.htm

Stihl MS200T vs Husqvarna T540 xp - YouTube
:cheers:
J2F

If you are going to do it professionally, get the 200t and you'd better do it while you can still get one! The 201t's reports are a mixed bag of "It's OK" to "It's the biggest POS I've ever run!".
The Jonsered 2139t is the same as the Husky 338t cali (the bigger cylinder) and with a muffler mod are supposed to run pretty strong.
I'm leaning towards getting an Echo 360t to have in the truck, a Muffler mod and some carb work tends to wake them up, but after looking at the Dolmar TH, I may have a change of heart!

i've been in tree service as a climber and bucket operator and I cant say it enough go stihl 200t there almost indestructible unless you drop them from height (done that).some of our 200t's have been in fulltime service for 4-5 years 6 hours a day tank after tank and are on the original top end..cant say enough

Ditto on hitting the pawn shops. I recently just missed a nice 200T that went for $60. They priced it like the 009 since they knew no better. I later bought a nice one there for $90.

I've been in tree service as a climber and bucket operator and I cant say it enough go stihl 200t there almost indestructible unless you drop them from height (done that).some of our 200t's have been in full-time service for 4-5 years 6 hours a day tank after tank and are on the original top end..cant say enough
Exactly..!! Rep sent..!!
:cheers:
J2F

stihl 08S...and if your man enough to climb with it nobody'll argue with your decision :msp_angry:

I own and have used the Husky 338XPT it is a great saw but just does not balance like the MS200T. I have used the MS200T and power and weight seem to be the same to me but the Stihl just has the best balance/feel in hand and use there is. I will be picking up my new to me rebuilt MS200T tomorrow. All my saws are and have been Husky's they are all great saws but there is no doubt the Stihl MS200T is the best in top handles.

Ditto on hitting the pawn shops. I recently just missed a nice 200T that went for $60. They priced it like the 009 since they knew no better. I later bought a nice one there for $90.

Unbelievable! You're saying that you found the one small business owner in Tennessee who doesn't know how to use computers and the internet? :msp_wink:

I know the auction just started but the buy it now option is what I would consider. $345 total. I didn't look at the feedback, I should know not to get excited about eBay ads at 3am when I'm delirious... Off to the pawn shop! Wish me luck.

Would it be worth stopping by my local stihl dealers? How often do shops have used and abused saws sitting on a project shelf in the back room? Worth a shot to see if they have some fixer uppers?

Last edited:
Went to my local dealer. He told me that the 200t is about the last saw he sees come through his shop used. Most people who own them know what they have and take care of them. He says that after carrying just about every major saw brand over the last 60 years that the 200 is the only way to go for a top handle. He's firm on $625. Woof. I guess there's something to be said for doing right the first time when starting out.

Latest posts

Back