Top Handles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.... My advice for what it's worth is bite the bullet and splash out the cash on the real deal, you won't regret it, quality is always remembered long after the price is forgotten.

I believe that is as true as it can get, along with the rest of your post! :cheers:

As far as 200T "carb issues", never experienced any myself. I have used quite few 200s, never had one problem with a carb. Only fuel issues I've experienced are a leaky fuel line and a bad filter, both were maintenance issues IMO. My current one is 8+ years old and has been as reliable as a stone is hard. Some of the older version 020Ts are another story, some of them were plagued with carb problems. Constantly chasing the settings, flat spots....... Not a predominant thing, but I've wanted to cast one or two out of a tree or bucket a time or two.:bang:

If you don't mind spending for the best, go for it. They are little hot rods for sure.:chainsawguy:

What is the carb issue with 200T's? When and how was it corrected?

I called around for quotes today.

200T $640
192T $350
338XP $615
360T $335

So that rules out the Husky for me. It will be the Echo or one of the Stihls. I really value durability and longevity in tools so I would prefer to avoid the clamshells. I can swing the 200T money wise and from what I've seen if I take care of it it will hold its value nicely and last me for a very long time. I think if I bought an Echo it would last a long time but never put a grin on my face. We'll see. Still thinkin on it

I got mine last fall and it was just recieved from stihl. Mine right off the bat had an erratic idle and would stall out as soon as I pulled it out of the scabbard. After 10 tanks and adjustment nothing helped so back to the dealer I went. The stihl tech told me they had some metering arm issue with them, nothing more than a half hour and I was back to work with it but it was frustrating that he knew how I was gonna use it and didn't forewarn me. As I said the 200 is all it's supposed to be including way overpriced and they're are better choices even though it is my money saw and expense doesn't matter in this case.

I managed to get our Echo CS-360T off Ebay for $180 new. I'd heard that they were gutless and would quickly develope a "death rattle". I already owned a couple of 300's and 341, which were pathetically underpowered but dead solid reliable for us in long term service.

The CS-360T was just OK right out of the box, and somewhat difficult to set the carb correctly as it has an annoying rev limiter built in to it. It took a few days to get the carb set, and we ran a few tanks thru it. After well broken in I removed the catalyst from the muffler, and opened up the exit hole slightly. BIG wake up call for this saw, and it's been in service now for quite a while, still runs flawlessly with PLENTY of power for the cc's and size of the saw.

Of course we wouldn't expect everyone to do a muffler mod on one, which is what they really need, but removing the limiter caps and adding some fuel is pretty much manditory, unless you want to smoke the P/C in short order.

The pic below has Nathan with his favorite saw, the CS-360T, which we used that day to limb about 60 trees, mostly pine trees with scores of small limbs on them. It did so without a grumble anyplace, and no "death rattle" by the end of the day. Since I have aquired the Echo, the CS-300's all went on Ebay, and the CS-341 sits at my dad's house, in case I have some trimming to do when I'm over to visit. There is no comparison anyplace between them and the CS-360T, which runs over 14,000 rpms, with a very broad/smooth power curve. I read someplace on another page where they are not smooth and not much power, I guess some folks don't know how to set a carb or put the chain on in the right direction!....LOL....Cliff
attachment.php

24 inch stumps is searious limbing

Based on you thread and the stumps, you may want to look up the definition of limbing. If it was all done with the 360T, you gave it a good run. I've got a 340T and commonly work trees from the top down until I get to 12 inch diameter and then upsize my saw choice. Pushes this saw pretty hard but with carb set correctly they seem to handle it well.

Back