Top or what?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Doug

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I own a house that has a large walnut tree in front yard over hanging the street. It is 3feet across at base. I also have a elm of some kind beside my house. I like trees but the walnut is big and what grows up will fall down in a storm. What can be done or cant be done or shoud be done? thanks Doug

post some decent pics of the trees and you will get some decent advice... but most likely none of it will include topping. You may get some advice on pruning that may include crown raising, reduction or thinning ETC.

Top a walnut tree and it's the beginning of the end for that tree. They don't take well to it and will start quickly to rot at the big cuts. Lightly pruning and selective thinning can make all the difference in the world. If there is a certain branch or leader that worries you on windy nights and storms, maybe use some none invasive dynamic cable to secure it, just in case it broke. Even if it's just for your piece of mind.

I didnt get the picture i thought i was. This is the 2 trees that i want to trim. The closes one is a elm and has some dead branches. The next one is the walnut it is big around 4feet at the base. This is a poor picture theLowest branch on the walnut that sticks out to the left is over the top of the house belive it or not. I am not good at computorse or i would post more pictures.

Personally?I'm thinking the foreground tree is more of an issue.Those lower spars appear to have included bark. Bark that has been covered by the growing together of adjacent, vertically growing stems or branches thus creating weakened attachments.
Call a professional.My 2cents.
BM's advice for the walnut is sound info.

Last edited:
pretty much every elm has included bark, they all stay upright from what ive seen. take the dead wood out and maybe clean it out a little. Should be golden.

I am looking at the elm too, looks to need some tlc by an arborist,

The walnut sure doesn't look to be 48" on the stump, maybe 36", it also looks well clear of the house, but its just a picture. The lower left branch on the walnut looks odd colored, if its dead it should be cut, I can't say I would do anything to it other than that, most nut trees drop a lot of limbs in the yard, my pecan is a royal pain, but its a pretty tree so I just pick the limbs up every week when I mow.

This picture is very deceiving i had another but i dont know what happen to it. This tree is very big. I would like to have the bottom branch trimed. It is hard to get some one that knows his stuff to look at it. When i first got this house it had a patalka tree growing up next to house it was 2 feet from the house. I was desperat to get it cut. A guy came and looked at it and said he would cut it he got hurt write after that and i spent a year trying to get it cut down. Finally one day he called and ask if i still wanted it done.Were i live the it is hard to get any thing done because people dont have the money to have stuff done that they dont have to have done.

take that branch

I'm with you Doug. I'd collar cut that bottom branch back to near the trunk. I'd take some weight off the top, but only from about 45' up.

Best thing is to listen to the guy who's going to be cutting it, though. He'll be able to see what needs to be done better than us, probably.

Bark inclusions are serious

pretty much every elm has included bark, they all stay upright from what ive seen. take the dead wood out and maybe clean it out a little. Should be golden.

^ Not sound advice. Codominant stems could be a problem. Tight angles will be a problem. Bark inclusion is a definite structural problem. The wood on either side of the bark inclusion is not connected and is pushing apart as it grows, weakening every day. Go to ISA's website and find an arborist that is willing to come see you. Expect to pay for an inspection and travel, but if you have time, you might be able to work out a deal with his travel if you can catch him nearby.

Show me a white elm that doesn't have included bark. I've never ever seen one that's split. Even if it's stone dead from DED. I live in the country and fence line after fence line. No failures.

Neither of those trees set off my "oh crap" alert, though it is worth pointing out that the elm is a prime example of poor pruning in the tree's earlier days resulting in crappy structure later on. Elm do seem to hold together pretty well, even with poor branch angles and inclusion.

If OP decides to prune, PLEASE consult with an arborist, not just some tree cutting idiot. Trimming those trees up is more likely to do them harm than they are likely to harm your house if you leave them alone.

Neither of those trees set off my "oh crap" alert, though it is worth pointing out that the elm is a prime example of poor pruning in the tree's earlier days resulting in crappy structure later on. Elm do seem to hold together pretty well, even with poor branch angles and inclusion.

If OP decides to prune, PLEASE consult with an arborist, not just some tree cutting idiot. Trimming those trees up is more likely to do them harm than they are likely to harm your house if you leave them alone.

I agree 100%
I wouldn’t do anything to them at all.
Your only liable if the tree is dead or you are aware of a problem with it.
If it falls in a storm, its beyond your control and the will of god.

Act of God

I agree 100%
I wouldn’t do anything to them at all.
Your only liable if the tree is dead or you are aware of a problem with it.
If it falls in a storm, its beyond your control and the will of god.

Expect to see less and less of the Act of God defense. You will be responsible for caring for your trees and having them inspected by a professional.

If this thread keeps up it may have to be renamed the ambulance chasing thread !!!! Maybe just some cleaning up and slight reduction of some parts over the house .

Latest posts

Back