Torn between Dolmar and Husky

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which is better for everyday use?

• husky

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • dolmar

Votes: 24 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wwarren07

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm going to be harvesting 30 - 40 cords of firewood per year and I'm torn between two saws.
Dolmar 5105
Husqvarna 450 Rancher
Type of wood being harvested is yellow birch, white birch, Oak, Ash, and Pine.
Any words of wisdom are greatly accepted.
Thanx

I'm going to be harvesting 30 - 40 cords of firewood per year and I'm torn between two saws.
Dolmar 5105
Husqvarna 450 Rancher
Type of wood being harvested is yellow birch, white birch, Oak, Ash, and Pine.
Any words of wisdom are greatly accepted.
Thanx
The best dealer is where I would start . I do not believe you should be looking at the 450 rancher tho .. I would lean more towards the 545 husky . 550 they are built better and are made to cut more wood then a 450

I have both brands and like both, so I would go with the best dealer as well. A top notch support team is what you need to keep the saw running and, if you do your own fixit work like I do, then access to parts is of utmost importance as well as advise when you can't diagnose a problem yourself.

I don't have that specific model of Dolmar so I advise you on it. I have the PS-9010 and, when she is running, I love it.

The husky 455 gets some bad comments, but I have had one for 7 years and run it hard, not just firewood, but free hand plank milling for my business. I have only had to replace the clutch springs twice and the chain break once, and spark plugs a few times.

best of luck on the decision and post a photo when you get it

Type of wood being harvested is yellow birch, white birch, (Oak), Ash, and Pine => 5105 not a single second descision.

Thick Oak & Ash => go 60cc saw for your amount of wood

harvesting 30 - 40 cords of firewood per year => go 60cc saw

60cc saw: Dolmar 6100, Echo 590/600/620, Efco 162/165, Husqvarna 555/562, Stihl 362

Whatever you choose it will serve you well!

For 30-40 Cords/year, I agree that you're looking at the wrong class of saw. Think of it as a tool that you want to use for years to come. Spending more money now for quality, will save you money in the years ahead. I've never run a Dolmar, but from their reputation here, hands down best pick of the two. If you're going with a one saw firewood plan - may want to think about bumping up to 60cc saw. Not sure what size the trees are, but if you're going to run 18 inch bar or bigger I think your in 60cc territory.

Type of wood being harvested is yellow birch, white birch, (Oak), Ash, and Pine => 5105 not a single second descision.

Thick Oak & Ash => go 60cc saw for your amount of wood

harvesting 30 - 40 cords of firewood per year => go 60cc saw

60cc saw: Dolmar 6100, Echo 590/600/620, Efco 162/165, Husqvarna 555/562, Stihl 362

Whatever you choose it will serve you well!

Excellent response, thank you for your advise.

Buy the Dolmar 5105 it is a much better saw. Starts easier, cuts much faster than the 450, has less vibration, and built like a tank. But if you want a 450 I'll sell you mine.

I picked the Dolmar as well, but agree that a 50cc saw may be a tad small for the amount of work you're looking at. A good idea might be to check with your local Home Depots and see if you can happen across a previous rental Makita 6421, which is a 60cc class saw made by dolmar with blue paint instead of red. If you can find one, you should be able to pick it up for less than $300 in really good condition.

Excellent response, thank you for your advise.
Your welcome.

One last comment, don't submit to the often cited "only the lightest, fastest, etc." is worth owning. The differences are so minimal that for a firewooder a well tuned saw with a sharp chain will make a bigger difference.

Pricewise:

Cheap:
the Echo 590(economy version of the 600, with out a doubt an excellent firewood saw that will last, with proper maintenace like for every manufacturer, you probably decades! You will be albe to get a 590 + 40cc saw for the price of the luxury department!)

Economy:
Dolmar 6100(which is what I would personaly prefer because it is a slightly more modern engine design),
Efco 162 (what I always find funny is the fact that this older design saw weighs less but has the same power as the husqvarna 560 saws :D, it even has a outboard clutch => the magical component of excellent handling, although shouldn't mention it or else trolli might give me a :dumb:)
maybe the Husqvarna 555, not quite sure how the prices are in your area.

Expensive: Husqvarna 562xp, Stihl 362 (a lot of ego massage involved in these saws, for a firewooder definately a luxury)

Any bullshi%% about needing the top pro line is simply an illusion. The average differences in cutting speeds between "cheap" and "expensive" saws are only a few single seconds. Any pro will be much faster with a "inferior" saw, so be sure that your equipment is well cared for and you will do fine. Although at the end of the day you might take a few min longer than the other guys with the top pro stuff....

Of course that is what this site is all about...

Does anyone else think it is odd that a "new" member who just signed up today created a poll in his first post and pits one brand against another?

Seems like someone who may have been watching too much Woodcutter TV...
Woodcutter t.v.????

Just trying to get advise. Isn't that what this is for?

Does anyone else think it is odd that a "new" member who just signed up today created a poll in his first post and pits one brand against another?

Seems like someone who may have been watching too much Woodcutter TV...
I still don't know how to make a poll so yes I find it odd.

Latest posts

Back