Torn between the Swedes and the Japanese

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dorsettseahawk

Reaction score
I posted a question about being between a 460 Rancher and a Shindaiwa 488. I will be doing about 5 cords and killing other trees. Has anyone really abused a Shindaiwa or is it just kind of what ya use is what ya like? Any info is good I need a new saw and I don't have alot of coin to spend $800 on a saw.

dorsettseahawk said:
I posted a question about being between a 460 Rancher and a Shindaiwa 488. I will be doing about 5 cords and killing other trees. Has anyone really abused a Shindaiwa or is it just kind of what ya use is what ya like? Any info is good I need a new saw and I don't have alot of coin to spend $800 on a saw.

Hopefully you will NOT abuse your investment no matter what you purchase. I have used Shindaiwa saws since 1987 with my Father. We ran a firewood business in Ohio for many years, cutting oak, hickory, ash, elm, beech, ironwood, black locust, cherry, and a few others. We far exceeded your 5 cords per year - often in a single day. We maintained our saws very well, air filters kept clean, chains were always sharp, ran good quality pre-mix, and so on. We used them frequently, and they never failed to perform, however we never abused or neglected our equipment. I my mind, they are bullet-proof machines if properly maintained - I still run Shindaiwa saws today, and I will continue to do so for a long time.

Now, the 488 is a 48cc machine, the 460 rancher is a 60cc machine. To be quite honest, I would pass on both saws and buy a Dolmar 5100S, about $400 with an 18" bar. If you can only have 1 saw, the 5100S is the saw to have. The 488 is a proven design that is almost indestructable - it is way overbuilt. But, the power and performance of the 50cc Dolmar for the same price as the Shindaiwa, well, it just doesn't make cent$ to get the 488.

As far as Husky goes, most would tell you to get the 359 - a favorite saw for the firewood cutter, it responds well to mods. But then again, if you are looking to get bang for your buck, the Dolmar wins, hands down.

Good luck in your decision and welcome to the site.

Josh

SawTroll said:
.....or the MS361!

MS361 - not for the money they want. No doubt a good saw, but I think the Dolmar would run right along side it, for a bundle less money.

SawTroll, have you run a 5100 yet? Once you do you might be trading that Stihl in for one of your own!

Four Paws said:
MS361 - not for the money they want. No doubt a good saw, but I think the Dolmar would run right along side it, for a bundle less money.

SawTroll, have you run a 5100 yet? Once you do you might be trading that Stihl in for one of your own!

aww, cmon, if you use any other saw than stihl or husky here other lumberjacks will laught at you for bringing a toy with you in to forest...

Are you planning on doing you're own maintenance/repairs? If not, then you need to look at who has better dealer support in your area. Personally, I would look at a used larger saw like a 440, 575 or maybe a 7900 if you have a good dealer around. 3 cube saws work fine but I really like running a faster saw even if it's heavier.

Four Paws said:

We don't have the PS510 0S here in Europe, so I have not tried it. The PS5000 cost about the same as the MS361.
Chainsaw priceing around the world isn't logical at all......:bang:

In smaller wood I believe that they will be close because of the higher initial rpms of the Dolmar, but as the wood get larger, I believe that the higher torque and power output of the 361 will make a difference.

Anyway, I do think the 5100 is a much better alternative than the ones mentioned in the first post here, provided dealer and/or parts support isn't a problem....

Last edited:
Skip the 460 and get a 359 much nicer saw, or go a little higher a 365 is a great saw but hard to find most likely used.

I have never used a Shindaiwa but hear they are good saws for me you really can't go wrong with a husky or stihl, I won't debate which is better they are both good to great saws, I hear Dolmar are very good as well.

Avoid the 460 and stick to a pro-300 series husky instead, I really like the 359.

JUDGE1162 said:
Avoid the 460 and stick to a pro-300 series husky instead, I really like the 359.
I would without doubt take the 359 over the 460, but not over the PS5100s or MS 361. It's power to weight ratio is not impressive.

SawTroll said:
We don't have the PS510 0S here in Europe, so I have not tried it. The PS5000 cost about the same as the MS361.
Chainsaw priceing around the world isn't logical at all......:bang:

You ought to have one of the site sponsors that are Dolmar Dealers send you one! $400 US plus shipping...what do you figure the grand total would be? Are you using Euros as the currency there?

SawTroll said:
I would without doubt take the 359 over the 460, but not over the PS5100s or MS 361. It's power to weight ratio is not impressive.

I agree that both PS5100s or MS 361 are good saw and maybe better than a 359, but price can also be a factor and around me there is a real diffrence in price between a 359 and a 361 for 2cc and a little weight the 359 is a better buy and closer in price to the 460, and if it is a firewood saw weight is less importmant than an everyday pro usage. I don't know about the PS5100s.

The main part of my post was not that the 359 is the best saw but avoid the 460 and get a "pro-saw" the next cheapest pro-husky is the 359.

Back