Torn rotator cuff and starting saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hurt my left shoulder from chainsaw starting over time. Now sleeping on my left side can be uncomfortable. It seems to help to pull back with my elbow down (instead of pulling up with my elbow up). This way I am using my mid-back’s lateral muscle instead of my upper shoulder muscle. 1656933835562.jpeg

Anyone have any luck still being able to cut firewood. I am deadly fearful of even trying to start a saw right now but I would really like to get out and get started on summer campfire wood stash and next years heating wood. I think for the most part I would be able to manage if I can get the saw started. I cant even have my son start it for me cause I still have to start his for him. I do have a Stihl with EZ start but I only keep a 14" bar on it so if I need to get the 440 out thats when things get real.

Try starting with the other hand. I start them either lefty or righty depending on the saw or the position I am using. If saw on ground then mostly lefty, if between the knees, righty. 87 now and beginning to hae problems with my MS441. I'm glad that it is a 2pull 'bark' 3rd pull run. so far.

Iv dont this. But I do set the saw on the ground and hold it with my foot when I do this.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Same but with a trick someone on this site clued me to. That handle loop is too small to really get a good foot hold on it, take a pice of 1x4 about 8 inches long. stick in the handle loop and stomp on it. It really locks the saw down. Most of my problems starting is avoiding as much give as possible in the saw when pulling on it.

Do you need a low compression easy start ported saw with an improved decomp assembly or a fire breathing monster with electric start?

I'm curious as to what one would be more popular, hum. 460 on steroids maybe an 044 electric start or a high revving low compression pull start 241 or a 150 bumblebee?
The Orange crew should be along shortly to chime in on those.
Don't forget the nearly extinct redheads.
Batteries are getting smaller.

I hurt my left shoulder from chainsaw starting over time. Now sleeping on my left side can be uncomfortable. It seems to help to pull back with my elbow down (instead of pulling up with my elbow up). This way I am using my mid-back’s lateral muscle instead of my upper shoulder muscle. View attachment 1000733
I have the same rotator cuff tear. I start all my saws with my right arm and not really any problems. Just don't cut for too long and avoid anything overhead.

I’ve never done this with a saw in good condition. Only problematic ones. I take the recoil cover off a hook a drill to the flywheel nut.
Interesting approach, I have often thought about drilling ahole in the cover where I could stick a drill and socket thru to crank a saw. A battery powered hand drill should be more than enough to spin a saw over.

my R shoulder can be bothersome at times. guess it is an age thing. one reason i like my small Echo. good for up to 12/14" or so!!! bit of a brute, has an attitude and starts EZ! i hold the pull start in L hand and with a downward throwing motion not loosing my grip of it... I pop it off! significant reduction to shoulder strain, etc. at least for me!

but no shoulder issues for tipping: :givebeer:'s ! ~

maybe something like this can help. i also use this method on my Echo trimmer and Echo 2-stroke big blower.

however, my smaller elec blower, B&D... lol, its a breeze to start! :)
:yes: 👍

in any event, the best advice anyone can give you is: take care of that shoulder!!!

I have had my left shoulder joint replaced. Later I will have my right one replaced. I hope I will be OK to run the saw after that.

If you are running a Stihl (may also work with others), I really like the Elastostart pull rope. Knocks the jerk out of the process (not the user, ie ME, but the spikes from the compression and reaching the end of the rope). Picked one up on a whim as a replacement for an 025 once. Hated the saw, loved the starter rope so put it in my first 036. Now everything has one except my big saw which will get one soon. Aftermarket versions are less than $20. My right shoulder is messed up from swinging a hammer and decades of using an 8 lb maul to split everything. Not looking forward to the repair process.

Had my right shoulder cuff done about 15 years ago, surgeon told me it was all torn out inside, I was told we will open it right up and see if it it can be repaired no keyhole surgery for me. Surgeon got it all back together, physio physio physio did as I was told, did not drive for 9 months my wife bless her helped with my exercises at home stronger than ever and damn glad I had it done. Before my op he asked what i was into, felling, firewood and my security work, he said that if I worked behind a desk all the time it would be a different outcome because of my age. 7inch scar on shoulder and sometimes still do stretching exercises. Never had any problems with it at all.

Latest posts

Back