Total Super Bar Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronaldo

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Curiosity has me wondering. I recently got a Husq. 181 s.e. and it has a 24'' total bar.
I tried to put it on my 371 and my 84dl chains are too long. I have several 24'' bars and they say they require 84 drivers. Looked at the bar on the 181 and it says 82 drivers and then checked out the total 24 on my brothers 372 and it states 81 drivers.
Anybody know why the differences on these bars?

Thanks
Ron

In recent years bars of certain lengths have assumed "typical" numbers of drivers. So a 20" 3/8 bar takes 72 drivers, and a 24" bar takes 84 drivers. A 28" bar takes 91-93 drivers, etc.

While a lot of bars are currently standardized, not all bars are, and it seems that historically less bars were standardized. There were lots of sandvik and total bars of different lengths. In japan (and perhaps elsewhere in the world), the 24" bars are still 82 links.

You'll have to look at the life left in the bar and decide if it's worth getting someone to shorten the chains for you or if you want to ditch the bar. At a time when most bars are of standard length, and fewer dealers have breakers/spinners, it's becoming hard to justify making accommodations for odd-ball sized bars. Make up too many chains for an odd sized bar, get the bar pinched or trashed, then you're stuck with a bunch of chains you have to modify to use elsewhere.

I can turn those 84 DL chains into 82 DL if would care to bring them up.

To answer your question more directly, not every saw was designed with the studs in exactly the same location in relation to the drive sprocket so different saws might require different DL count for the same bar.

Most older McCulloch 20" bars require 70 DL(not 72 as is more common on saws today), most 24" use 81 but a few combinations require 84 DL, 28" bars are normally 93 DL (all 3/8"). 32" bars on the large frame saws may take 94, 95, or 96 DL (.404) depending on which bar and even what gauge.

Mark

Curiosity has me wondering. I recently got a Husq. 181 s.e. and it has a 24'' total bar.
I tried to put it on my 371 and my 84dl chains are too long. I have several 24'' bars and they say they require 84 drivers. Looked at the bar on the 181 and it says 82 drivers and then checked out the total 24 on my brothers 372 and it states 81 drivers.
Anybody know why the differences on these bars?

Thanks
Ron

81 dl on the 372 sounds really odd, mine (and all I know about) take 84. I wonder what kind of bar your brother has on his 372, as a true large Husky mount one should take 84?

I got a Total Super Bar from the Jonsered dealer, it takes 82 links .375.

It's on a tweeked 2100, and is a real pleasure to run.

81 dl on the 372 sounds really odd, mine (and all I know about) take 84. I wonder what kind of bar your brother has on his 372, as a true large Husky mount one should take 84?
I too thought it was odd that mine takes 82 and my brothers says 81. Another friend has a Total 24'' on a Jons. 2171 and it is an 84 dl bar. the one thing I have wondered is about the age difference on the bars. Brother bought his from ebay as a nos bar and not sure how old the one on my 181 is, but the lettering on our bars is a bit different than the newer one on my buddies 2171.

Ron

A Stihl 12" bar uses 44 DL while Jonsered uses 45 DL. (3/8")
A Stihl 14" bar uses 50 DL while Jonsered uses 52 DL. (3/8")
My Stihl 08-S 17" Stihl-ES bar uses 60 DL, 25" Total Super Bar uses 80 DL. (.404)

Latest posts

Back