Total weight of chainsaw. Interesting!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Telemetry Group, Range Commanders Council, JCS
I have been wondering why my Craftsman 55cc chainsaw is so heavy. So I weighed the saw and its individual components. I weighed each component at least twice to ensure the results were consistent.

1. Total with bar & chain installed and full tanks of fuel and bar oil, 17.5 lbs.
2. Powerhead only with full tanks of fuel and bar oil, 10.5 lbs.
3. 18" B&C (Oregon and Woodsman/Arbor Pro), 2 lbs.
4. Clutchcover/chainbrake assembly, 5 lbs.

Wow! The clutchcover/chainbrake assembly on that saw sure is heavy!

This shows how manufacturers advertising the dry weight of the powerhead only without its clutchcover/chainbrake are really misleading us.

Last edited:
all we know is the two leadeing 60cc saws are about dead nuts perfectly even for power head weight

that is one heavy clutch cover!!!!!!

as troll said, clutch covers, nuts, etc are part of the PH and are included in the weight. i do wonder if some mfg ever calibrate their scales. i checked a 310 and it was ~.5lb heavier than the published weight. i also weighed my 357 and it was 13lbs, but with a published weight of 12.1. both saws were weighed without fuel or oil.

Would be useful if saw weights listed included the total weights for the most popular bar/chain combo and fully loaded with gas/bar oil. Could add almost 50% to saw weights - based on my scale:

Stihl 026 powerhead: 10.5 lbs
with 18" bar/chain fully loaded: 15.0 lbs

The Poulan 3700 with 20" bar that I gave to my SOL was as heavy as the Crapsman and it didn't even have a chainbrake.

While I was messing with the saw, I made the exhaust port on the left side of the muffler about 1/16-1/8 inch larger in diameter and it really woke that Crapsman up. Instead of sounding louder, the exhaust now sounds deeper and mellower. The deep and mellow sound reminds me of a Chevy 350 with a Gibson Free Flow exhaust system.
:cheers:

Latest posts

Back