Tow behind lift

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lumberjack said:
I have to disagree with you. How is it easier to manuver a 12-16 ton 7' wide truck through a yard over a 22' long 2 ton 5'6" wide machine? Moving it depends on the terrain, but I have never considered it a PITA to have to move it around. The picture of that live oak was the first job I did with it, took me 7-8 hours to get it on the ground working by myself.

Whats wrong with gas? The whole gas unit would cost less than 800 bucks to replace, hell its only a 5.5hp honda and an alternator... It burns less gas than an 460 and it greatly extends your operating time (as long as you have gas), it keeps the batteries charged and can be started and cut off from the basket including the choke.

Wheres the problem?

The one I use to use was like 22 feet in lenght then add your truck.
Plus you un hook your truck and put the out riggers down now when you go to move it you have to back up your truck and re hook it move it then un hook and again put the outriggers out and down. And mine wasn't hydraulic outriggers you had to crank them down and then back up again.

Don't forget I said every tool has its place and in a really narrow spot that is the machine too use and if it was needed and I couldn't climb it and I couldn't get my truck in then I would go get out the old trailer lift. They all have there plus and minuses.

My lift has a jockey wheel up front on the foot of the jack so you can move it by hand. If the tree is big enough to require moving it I will likely have the tractor there and can pull it into position with it if its easier, or a MA setup. In the pictures behind the house (small office building) taking a limb off covered in ivy I pulled the machine back there with a 6:1 MA while a groundy guided the front.

Having to jack the outriggers must truely suck, mine has an auto leveling feature, or I can operate them individually. You can gain an additional 2' on flat ground by pushing the outriggers down all the way without compromising stability.

If they made one quite similar to that one except with a 75' lift and 50' horizonal, that would be awesome for tree work. Haveing a 3 stage upper boom and a slightly longer bottom boom would get it done. Having outriggers that could extend to make the base wider would take care of stability. With the outriggers down the machine has a 14' spread.

They offer a drive option which is basically a hydro motor on each tire that contacts the tire with a roller... seemed interesting but I bet you cant add it, too much work.

I am not sure a 55' bucket would be any better for MY needs, now a rear mount 75' would definatly be a marked improvement.

Lumberjack, could that thing be manuvered with an ATV? I remember the one I used was pretty light.

Last edited:
No no koa, I am in love with Teupen, however the 75' only offers 35' of horizonal reach, albiet the curve of its wall is alot flatter than non telescoping lifts:

leo23gt-height.htm

This is what I was thinking, 75' vertical, 50' horizonal:

FeaturePhoto

or

http://www.************/forum/download.php?Number=38843

I know you get asked this alot, but how much is the 23GT? I would consider it an option if it were insulated.

Red Bull, its Lumberjack not lumberhach.. important difference!

It could, assuming you werent going over monsterous roots near the base of the tree or anything major terrain wise. The unit weighs as much as a 1/2 ton truck, but its alot eaiser to roll around than a truck for sure.

The smallest powered device we pulled it with was a little hydro transmissioned New Holland 25D or some such. In 4wd it would pull it just fine across rougher terrrain.

For the fourwheeler, traction is the limiting factor, same with that small tractor.

Sorry about the keystroke error. I went back and edited it. I don't think traction would be too much of an issue with the ATV. It has 4x4. I've moved a pretty heavy trailer with it, but the tongue weight was very nominal.

I am going to agree with your assessment of the towable lift Lumberjack. In the beginning, I was 19 years old, no credit or credit cards or loans to speak of. To me a chipper seemed more important by far than a lift. Dropped $23,600 on new 1800. Boom! My credit is now maxed and then some. Only got the loan because the loan officer was impressed a 19 year old didnt want a loan on some useless sports car. Now my credit was tied up for years but I needed a lift occasionally.

A local rental company rents the 54' for $190 a day. Electric operation and whisper quiet. You know how nice it is to not scream down to you ground crew? Heck you can even talk in just a regular somewhat loud voice. Rental for 1 week was $700 on the nose with insurance and everything. I think they now rent closer to $875 a week but this is cheap for a 50' lift to use with unlimited hours! No gas, no CDL required. Any employee can tow this lift and not have to have a CDL. Quiet and easy to use. Only down side is batteries will only last 6 hours if you are doing a lot of full up and down and resetting. However, it was rare I ever had problems runnign the batteries low unless I was in it 10 hours in most cases. Just plug it in at the end of the night. Light weight and I never worried once about just backing it up in a yard unless the yard was soaking wet. I was quoted several years ago that the lift I was using sold for $38k new. Alot in my mind but a used one under $20K would be a good investment.

This lift gets 2 thumbs up from me!~ :D

Lumberjack,
The 23GT runs about $106-109K, depends on the exchange rate of the Euro. It is true that the side reach is not as great as a 75 ft. bucket truck, but by being able to get closer to your work, your need for more side reach may not be necessary. Remember, the 23GT is only 6'6" in height, vs about 11' for that bucket truck. You will be able to get under the canopy and to the back side of most trees with it. Usually with a bucket truck you are mostly limited to parking on one side and working the whole tree from there.

Back