Toyota wood hauler?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forget Toyota and examine my Avatar. The '96 to '02, 4x4 Ford Rangers wuth big tires and a 4.0L V6 like mine can run circles around them.
RangerLoadedWithWood.jpg

Haha, ya right! You just don't understand. There isn't a cult following for no reason.

those rangers are pretty durable, however the toyotas kind of leads the pack in small pickups. especially in the woods, where they tend to shine a little brighter than the others. everyone has their opinions and their favorite brands, i am a chevy guy to the heart, i guess i should be showing him the path of the s-10, but i just can't downtalk a yota.

Last edited:
Forget Toyota and examine my Avatar. The '96 to '02, 4x4 Ford Rangers wuth big tires and a 4.0L V6 like mine can run circles around them.
RangerLoadedWithWood.jpg

yea the best truck in the woods lol i i got one too and they would run anytning in the dirt. and they are some pretty durable trucks i haven't seen anything it would pull yet and lay down on the job.

Bought a Ranger last night, A Polaris Ranger

Well Thanks for all the feed back but in a blink of an eye I bought a used polaris ranger 6X6.

I need something low impact for gathering firewood right where I cut it. I can't make roads so I decided to try the Polaris to take pieces to the trailer. I have a lot of wood cut and split this winter.

I am still open for the right small pickup and I am keeping my eyes open. I have a 97 expedition that should probably go.

1999 Polaris Ranger, 6X6

$2900.00

It will also be used for fun to run around on my dads land.

gg

Hey Mike, I'm from Rehoboth--just East of Gallup. Pic is from national forest just southeast of Gallup. Kind of a muddy a.m. back in Nov.--mud thawed and I almost didn't get out of there.

I had a 92 extra cab 4x4 V6, loved that truck and plenty of power. I was into it for $5000 cause I bought it crashed. Drove it for 10 years. Sold it for $4000 to a man that didn't speak english. I now have a 89 4X4 22RE motor. The power sucks on that thing and the gas mileage was better on the V6. If you put the airbags on the rear of the 4X4 like my buddy has you can load that thing taller then the roof with wood. I had 31's on the 92 and 235/75/15 on the 89. The one thing about a toyota pickup is the never seem to drop below $2500 in price no matter how old or mileage. The Visitors to the US from the south Always have cash for them.

Don't discount the 87-95 Dodge Dakota. Stout trucks and if you find one with a 5.2 you can haul anything. They are built like a rock and last forever, mine has almost 200,000 miles. :givebeer:

Hey Mike, I'm from Rehoboth--just East of Gallup. Pic is from national forest just southeast of Gallup. Kind of a muddy a.m. back in Nov.--mud thawed and I almost didn't get out of there.

Cool, I cut most of my firewood near santa fe in the pecos area. What kind of wood to you have to cut? I mostly cut pinon and juniper with a tiny bit of white fir. I know in the mount taylor area there is oak for the public to cut.

pinyon, juniper/cedar, and we're also allowed to cut down and dead standing oak as long as it amounts to 25% or less of a load--that's on the regualr $20, 2 month, 5 cord permit. Next year I'm going to also get an oak permit--I think it's for 2 cords, not sure of the price. I found lots of dead scrub oak last year, so I think 2 cords is feasible. They are small, but it's nice, dense wood.

that's the bulk of what I burn, but I also cut siberian elm and russian olive as I find it around town. lots of elms lately--which i think are great though they seem to take at least 2 years to dry properly.

them Fords are great.............

until you drive on wet grass.

then you'll need a Toyota to pull you out.

I'll take my T100 over a Ranger any day.

203k and still on the original engine and trans.no rebuilds.runs like new.

Looking at some older Toyota trucks To maneuver through the woods.

How are the 91-94 3.0 v6 engines?

How big of tires can you get under them without a lift?

Anyone have site for dump bed kits?

Have seen a few locally for $2500/offer.

gg

heres my crawler 88 toyota 22RE 240,000miles.39.5 irocks 4" lift 30s longfields duel cases detroits f/r motor is stock axel swap is only like, $800 if you get a cheep truck

Them fords are great until you drive on wet grass.

then you'll need a Toyota to pull you out.

I'll take my T100 over a Ranger any day.

203k and still on the original engine and trans.no rebuilds.runs like new.

That's just a matter of if you get a L/S or locker when you buy it and street tires or not. Nothing to do brand at all. My F150 sucks in mud, but it's got an open differential front and back. That's the problem, not the decal on the tailgate. Well, Maybe if the decal was 300lbs, traction would be a little better. :D

Ian

actually,you are wrong.

That's just a matter of if you get a L/S or locker when you buy it and street tires or not. Nothing to do brand at all. My F150 sucks in mud, but it's got an open differential front and back. That's the problem, not the decal on the tailgate. Well, Maybe if the decal was 300lbs, traction would be a little better. :D

Ian

Fords just plain suck off road,with the exception of '66-'77 Broncos.

I have been off roading for 20 years.I have owned every thing but a Jeep.I have built and fixed many Jeeps,Toyota is the best.My 88 4runner is open front and rear and has no problems going anywhere,especially mud.

What's the diff? Either your tires pull or they slip. The only two things affecting that is tread and type of differential. I'm talking wood hauler, not rock hopper.

Ian

I bought a '90 with a 22r 4 cyl. off my ex brother in law 12 years ago for $1500, I have beat the living tar out of it. I wanted bigger tires but didnt want to spend a bunch of $$ so I found some jeep rims with new tires and threw them on. I haul wood and scrap with this truck so it has been beat like a government mule and refuses to die. best $1500 I ever spent....well almost the ring for my wife was the best this would have to be the second best

Jeff

Here is my buddies 1992 toyota 4x4. This thing is in good mechanical condition, but looks like hell! Brakes are awesome, runs great, starts right up, new clutch, 4x4 works. 260k. He would keep it, but he can't get it to pass the emissions test. So he is selling this one and keeping his other yota.

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/1621138938.html

Fords garbage suspension maybe?

Nah, not buying it. I can see suspension playing a role in rock hoppers where you have the truck on severe grades with one side fully compressed and the other fully extended or even worse, opposing corners on high ground with the other corners extended trying to reach the ground to get traction, but it isn't going to affect a wood hauler getting across a flat muddy field.

Ian

Back