Tractor Engine Shuts Down After Awhile

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reiterch

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have an older Simplicity Sovereign 7016 tractor for mowing my lawn.

It has a Briggs and Stratton 16HP engine, with points and a coil.

Lately, it will lose power after being run for about a half an hour. If I cut the throttle and shut the PTO off it will stay running, but if it stalls out, it will not start back up again unless I let it sit for a while.

When this happens, it is not flooded (I checked the plug). As far as I can tell the engine is not over heating. I belive it is something electrical.

The points seem to be ok. Could it be the coil?

It seems to run ok until the problem occurs. It starts ok, though it runs a little rough for the first minute or so until it gets going.

Air filter is clean, oil was just changed, new plug installed. Gas is fresh.

Any ideas or things I can check?

Vapor lock in the fuel lines. Perhaps heat getting to the coil, but I doubt it.

See if there is fuel in the carb when it dies, if not then its vapor lock. Vapor lock is when the fuel in the line turns to vapor, making symptoms similar to what your describing.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will check the carb next time it happens.

If it is vapor lock, how do I prevent it?

It is caused by the fuel lines getting to hot, make them cooler. Wrap them in the reflective tape, insulate or redirect.

Have you made any recent changes to the fuel lines, exhaust or any cooling aperatus?

Try

Try replacing the condenser known to break down when hot, worth a try and cheap to do. are the points getting burnt this sone time is an indication to a bad condenser.

Good Luck.

run the thing without the gas cap on....vent in the cap, might be plugged up...

I wouldnt recommend running ANYTHING without a cap on the gas tank, unless you WANT to set it alight. the cap is there to keep gas in the tank, without it, the fuel will splash about, and hit the engine, which will probably make it catch fire, then go right up to the tank, and you'll have an instant fireball.

I'd put my 2 cents in for the condensor.Points and condensor for a Briggs,is a cheap fix,if that's the problem.Very rarely does the coil go bad on a points type.I have,however,seen several solid state coils malfunction.It's coincidental that this subject would arise.I have experianced several condensor malfunctions on 2 of my older saws ,recently,Hmm,must be something in the weather. :)

old saw is right...what i meant to say,, is,,, if it stalls after running a while.. take the gas cap off... listen for a hiss,, try to start...if it starts,, clean vent or replace gas cap...if the vent in the cap is clogged,, the engine, will create a vacum in the fuel system...no fuel,, no run.....

Back