Trail cutting chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oakfall

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I do all my felling work with my 575 XP Husky, but I need to cut some trails through some thick areas and need a smaller saw. Hope you can help with some suggestions on a good reliable saw in the 16" range.
Thanks,
oakfall

Assuming you want to stay with Husqvarna I can not recommend the 357XP enough. Mine has been reliable and easy to take care of. A 16" bar is very short for doing taril work, lots of bending over. I would go with a 20" Oregon Pro Lite and Carlton/Woodland Pro semi-chisel full comp from Bailey's. Carry an extra loop in case you hit a rock. An all the normal stuff too. Chaps are really important when brushing both for you and your swamper.

Thanks guys. So you would shy away from the smaller "home owner" saws, i.e. echo or solo 636. I guess I would certainly want a 3/8" chain.
Oakfall

I myself have a Husky 455 Rancher with a 20 inch bar, its not a pro saw but its still real good. This saw would be good for cutting small brush and trails if it was outfitted with a 16" bar.

My trail cutter for small stuff , no bending down .

FS550.gif

:cheers:

Thanks guys. So you would shy away from the smaller "home owner" saws, i.e. echo or solo 636. I guess I would certainly want a 3/8" chain.
Oakfall

Well if you want to run standard 3/8" chain you will want something at least 50cc. My trail saw is a Jonsered 2152 (Husky 353 equivalent). It is super reliable, relatively inexpensive, easy on gas and light enough to haul through the woods on your back. The 353 or 346XP would be a good choice. If you don't mind moving down to .325 chain (my 2152 runs .325) that would open up a whole new range. The Husky 435 and Stihl 211 are supposed to be real good saws.

I think for a trail saw the "homeowner" category of saws would be fine. Just don't buy a cheap poulan or homelite from a box store or you will be 2 miles into a trail without a saw.

Just remember, the bigger the saw the more fuel it will suck and the more you have to carry. If you won't be cutting anything bigger than 30", stick with the 16" bar.

If I had to replace mine, the ideal saw would be the 346XP followed by the 353 again, then the 440 or 435. The 357 is a super nice saw but compared to smaller saws it sucks the fuel.

Good luck and stay safe!

346NE 325chain would be my choice over and over and over. You could pack it all day its easy on fuel and very reliable. There r lots of good choices this is mine if it had to be a stihl they say that 261 is great, however my ms 260 and 026 stay in the shadows of my 346s.

What is the modern equivalent to a 61 Husky?

How tall are you? 16" bar would have me bending over alot.

I have a 28" bar on a 61 & a 32" bar on a 371xp. Both have skip tooth chisel bit chain on them.

I am past the point of having to bend over too often. I like my 26 inch bar on my saw. (I'm 6' 6") Yes, I still swamp what I cut so I bend over plenty.

What is the modern equivalent to a 61 Husky?

How tall are you? 16" bar would have me bending over alot.

I have a 28" bar on a 61 & a 32" bar on a 371xp. Both have skip tooth chisel bit chain on them.

Trust me, if you are packing an extra 10lbs or more with a big saw and long bar you will be more sore than bending over. Trail clearing you have to bend over anyways; cut and then roll/move the debris off the trail.

More important than the saw is a good pack to carry everything. Check out Forestry Suppliers for a nice chainsaw pack. They can be expensive but your back will thank you.

How long of trips will you be taking? Overnight, day trips, road access, etc.? Those are all factors that you should consider.

Well it is a 20+yr old saw that I have packed around....20 yr now.

So, I guess I will not be trusting you.

Well it is a 20+yr old saw that I have packed around....20 yr now.

So, I guess I will not be trusting you.

That's your choice. :cheers:

I do think your idea of packing a chainsaw and mine are different though. ;)

PS: the "trust me" part was intended for the OP.

Well anyone that puts a 28 inch bar on a 61 and thinks he is going trail cutting with it is nuts anyway, and skip chain..... that should be good at slapping crap into your hands.

Anyway i think the 346xp with a 16 or 18 bar would be perfect. I had a 357xp and i would never have another, it was ok but i would rather pack my 372.

I do all my felling work with my 575 XP Husky, but I need to cut some trails through some thick areas and need a smaller saw. Hope you can help with some suggestions on a good reliable saw in the 16" range.
Thanks,
oakfall

I use a dolmar PS 510 for a trail saw. Relativly inexpensive, Good Quality
50 cc 3.4 HP. I have used it for about 4 years now with no problems at all.
That saw, and a still FS 90 brush cutter keep my trails open, and make new trails just fine.

i've recently purchase a manufacture refurbished husky 445 on ebay. comes with an 18 inch bar and chain. it was $200 with free shipping. yea it's not an xp, but it's about a half a pound lighter and only 5cc less. don't be scared of the manufacture refurbished. most of the stores selling them on ebay have warranties. i haven't had a single problem with mine. If you don't have a ton of trail to cut this would be a good cheap alternative to the xp models.

Last edited:
Back