Trailer axle rating (breaking point)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Good Wood

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I know about all the gvw and all that and how to figure. My questions is when they rate trailer axles i know that they will hold more than what they say. For instance when they rate a chain at 10,000 Lb i know that in the factory they test the chain and it will not fail till they hit 20,000 lb So anyone out there know how they rate the trailer axles? I seriously thought that a 7k axle will hold 14k of weight. yea i know about bending them too. Also that being said, what about the weight rating of tires?

Go til she blows or it sounds really expensive,:clap: enough said -- If you have to ask about rating chances are your are probly doing something its not designed to do. The ratings are there to use as guidelines SO NOT TO OVERLOAD IT and thats all I have to say about that

Go til she blows or it sounds really expensive,:clap: enough said -- If you have to ask about rating chances are your are probly doing something its not designed to do. The ratings are there to use as guidelines SO NOT TO OVERLOAD IT and thats all I have to say about that

What he said. Why would you take a chance on severly overloading a trailer? If something fails and it results in an injury to someone, you could be in serious doo-doo. Police agencies take a really, really dim view of foolishness like this. The trailer manufacturer puts those ID plates with weight ratings on their trailers for a reason. Follow their direction.

What he said. Why would you take a chance on severly overloading a trailer? If something fails and it results in an injury to someone, you could be in serious doo-doo. Police agencies take a really, really dim view of foolishness like this. The trailer manufacturer puts those ID plates with weight ratings on their trailers for a reason. Follow their direction.

I am not trying to destroy my trailer or get anyone hurt just wondering. I know that at times I am overloaded my (15 % over payload rating) , i was just wondering if someone knew the true weight that an axle will hold to put my mind at ease. I do not load my trailer and I have said something to the loaders and they have cut back on the loads for the most part but occasionally it gets a bit heavy like i sad 15% trailer will haul 10k and sometimes it has 11-11.5k

No idea, but my trailer has tandem 3,500# axles and it's seen 10k. :msp_ohmy:

Hauling 10% over rated weight is not likely to do much immediate harm, but it will put more than normal stress on axles, tires, springs, brakes, etc. I would worry more about the amount of the fine if pulled over for inspection or if involved in an accident. Around here they can fine you "by the pound".

About load ratings

I work for a national car hauler 49 states and Canada they are tagged for 80K and are usally over every day dodging scale houses and the like I can tell you first hand that even 5% over and on and off basis is very hard on equipment. I seen have posts snapped and brand new cars (BMW's) laying on top of each other (very cool--totally destoyed) hard top to convertable in one shot, seen cars run under a bridge that was too low for load also cool, at any rate over loading is very hard on eqiupment. Right now we have a hub recall that is causing trailers to burn up, thank you meritor. All im saying is that the load rating and restricitions are there for a reason

A 3500lb axle is designed to hold 3500lbs and still be able to drive at highway speeds, and allow enough of a safety margin for potholes, bumps, and dips. Would I put 7000lbs on it and run down the highway, no. 4500 while going below 35 or 40 mph, on a good road I would do. Remember though even though bending the axle with that scenario is unlikely, overheating wheelbearings/blown tires is a real possibility. If you are depending on trailer brakes they might not be up to the task, something else to keep in mind.

True. It's one thing to overload a trailer and run normal speeds down main roads. Who cares about the trailer at that point, it becomes a safety issue.

It's another thing to overload a trailer and run backroads at much slower speeds.

A 3500lb axle is designed to hold 3500lbs and still be able to drive at highway speeds, and allow enough of a safety margin for potholes, bumps, and dips. Would I put 7000lbs on it and run down the highway, no. 4500 while going below 35 or 40 mph, on a good road I would do. Remember though even though bending the axle with that scenario is unlikely, overheating wheelbearings/blown tires is a real possibility. If you are depending on trailer brakes they might not be up to the task, something else to keep in mind.

That is usually how I roll back roads and 35-40 tops and I barely use the breaks cause i just let off gas extra early for stops and watch out for idiots that are blind and can't see a big bright red truck and trailer coming down the road

My dad has a trailer that was registered for 9,990...little did we realize that it only had 7,000 axles on it. Some neglected maintenance and a bunch of trips with an 8,000 lb. Kubota made for an arrival on three and a half wheels one day. Bent the spindles nicely!!! Now the trailer has two 5,500 lb. axles on it...and the surviving 3,500 lb. axle is going to get narrowed and replace the little c-channel one on my Snowbear utility/firewood/snowmobile trailer.

it is all in accordance...

... with what you can get away with.
the weakest part of most trailers is the tires! after that you bend spindles. When you get to overloading vehicles then the condition of the roads and speed of travel becomes important.

Like others, I have a 3500# single axle flatbed that I have overloaded many times. Take it real easy.... nothing sudden. Never drive any faster than you are willing to pile it up. if there is a accident... guess what the insurance is going to say?

Past the trailers, look at the trucks? a 3/4 ton pickup with a cord of wood (3000#) on it. I consider that to be about normal. Dana 60's are pretty decent. Would I top 4000? sure, but with slower speeds. With a typical 1/2 ton? Nope. axle isn't up to it. Single wheel bearings, etc. Getting to that trailer hubs have two bearings there....

Use your best judgment.

-Pat

Past the trailers, look at the trucks? a 3/4 ton pickup with a cord of wood (3000#) on it. I consider that to be about normal. Dana 60's are pretty decent. Would I top 4000? sure, but with slower speeds. With a typical 1/2 ton? Nope. axle isn't up to it. Single wheel bearings, etc. Getting to that trailer hubs have two bearings there....

Use your best judgment.

-Pat

Which is why I opted to get rid of my 1/2 tonner and bought my 6-spd Cummins-powered 3/4 ton. 4 wheel disc brakes, Dana 70 front, 80 rear baby! :rock:

Currently looking at a 20' 5th wheel flat bed trailer. Not sure how I feel about making my truck the weak link again, but I should be fine.

Last edited:
newreply.php
Might want to be carefull with axle weights.

The springs/suspension I think hit their limits before the axle would break...

214330d1325314077-funny-car-pictures-22-jpg

And be sure to balance the load...

214331d1325315204-overloaded-jpg

Last edited:
I know about all the gvw and all that and how to figure. My questions is when they rate trailer axles i know that they will hold more than what they say. For instance when they rate a chain at 10,000 Lb i know that in the factory they test the chain and it will not fail till they hit 20,000 lb So anyone out there know how they rate the trailer axles? I seriously thought that a 7k axle will hold 14k of weight. yea i know about bending them too. Also that being said, what about the weight rating of tires?

It's called a safety factor, or margin.
Something rolling down the highway at highway speeds need a safety margin.
You don't want to load a trailer or truck to its breaking point.
Factor in pot holes and bad roads (at speed) and it's easy to see why it's like that.
Tires are the same way. There rated for weight but also speed.
All trailer tires are rated at 65 mph max, some highways have 70 mph speed limits.
Here in the south, we have to factor in heat in the summer.
Heat is a big killer of tires.
DOT has no problem pulling you over and putting you on the scales. (even small trailers)
These damn mexicans will buy a cheap $600.00 trailer and load them up to where the axles bend. No safety chain or safety pin on the hitch, and no breaks, on worn out used car tires that are bald.
The new inspection law is in effect so "ALL" trailers with 2 axles or rated at 5000 gvw or has breaks, must be inspected before you can get the license tags.
You have to pay the inspection retailer $7.00 and then another $7.00 when you get the tags. $14.00 total inspection cost.
Took my trailer down and had it inspected. All they did way check the VIN and that was it.
They didn't even check the lights, breaks or anything else, just the VIN.
I just replaced the tires on my 5000 lb trailer. Went from 8 ply to 10 ply. (same price as the 8 ply)
I've had to replace 2 of the springs that broke.
If I break another, I'm going to upgrade the springs.
Both springs were on the right side where most of the pot holes are.
Stay safe and don't over load your wagon. We all share the same road.

Back