Trailer to fix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
top rail is 3” x 2” x 1/8” angle

Originally I had thought the top rail was that size, but it's actually 2"x2"x1/8".

It might be better for me to put a max of 2/3 of a cord on the trailer and 1/3 of a cord on the truck (for if I get enough wood to sell a cord or so).

Kevin

I confess I'm a chronic trailer over loader. We've stacked as much as three cord on a trailer almost identical to yours. I personally wouldn't hesitate on putting a cord on the trailer, a half cord on the truck as long as you stack it in the truck close to the cab, so all your weight is not on the rear of your truck. I've done it hundreds of times, you just have to use common sense and not go ripping down the highway like I've seen some do at 70mph with the trailer whipping side to side. I usually won't drive over 55 with a heavy load, if conditions allow I'll go a little slower.

I confess I'm a chronic trailer over loader. We've stacked as much as three cord on a trailer almost identical to yours. I personally wouldn't hesitate on putting a cord on the trailer, a half cord on the truck as long as you stack it in the truck close to the cab, so all your weight is not on the rear of your truck. I've done it hundreds of times, you just have to use common sense and not go ripping down the highway like I've seen some do at 70mph with the trailer whipping side to side. I usually won't drive over 55 with a heavy load, if conditions allow I'll go a little slower.

Thanks for that. When I'm loaded with a cord (with is heavy enough for my 1/2 ton...I know some of y'all do a lot more) 50-55mph is max for me also. I guess I worry to much and think to much sometimes :). I'll load it up and see how it (trailers) handles...can't wait for that day! My OWN trailer! Sounds crazy I know...especially to those of you who have multiple trailers and bigger heavier duty trailers, but owning my own trailer will help me in a bunch of ways. To have it sitting in my yard for whenever I need it...ok, ok, I'll quit. :)

Kevin

Thanks for that. When I'm loaded with a cord (with is heavy enough for my 1/2 ton...I know some of y'all do a lot more) 50-55mph is max for me also. I guess I worry to much and think to much sometimes :). I'll load it up and see how it (trailers) handles...can't wait for that day! My OWN trailer! Sounds crazy I know...especially to those of you who have multiple trailers and bigger heavier duty trailers, but owning my own trailer will help me in a bunch of ways. To have it sitting in my yard for whenever I need it...ok, ok, I'll quit. :)

Kevin

No worries, Kevin. :)

At one point we all got our first trailer and I plan on building 2 trailers soon. Even though I currently own a few I am excited about my 2 new ones because I will be custom building to my needs. One lighter duty quad hauler/utility/etc trailer and one heavier duty equipment/log/etc hauler.

Just remember to take pics of your progress. We cannot be there with you as you work on your trailer, but I'm pretty sure that I speak for all of us when I say that pics are good!

:cheers:

Thanks Chris. I'll try to remember the camera as I make progress...I'll try not to flood here with pics...I can get pic crazy, LOL! But I know how y'all can be pic junkies...myself included! :)

Kevin

Originally I had thought the top rail was that size, but it's actually 2"x2"x1/8".

It might be better for me to put a max of 2/3 of a cord on the trailer and 1/3 of a cord on the truck (for if I get enough wood to sell a cord or so).

Kevin

You might want to rethink that 1/3 of a cord on the truck. With that ford of yours (like my dodge) you are going to add the weight of the wood in the back in addition to the tongue weight of the trailer.Not a big deal in a bigger truck,but with that F150 you are going to get yourself into the "jackstand mode".
What I mean by that is, if you load the back of the truck, then hitch the trailer up and load up the trailer, its only natural to load the rear of the trailer a little heavier to give some lift to the sagging rear of the truck.You may not even be aware of it as you load up,its just natural.

Then you get going down the road, and one of two things happen.you get the fishtail of a tail loaded trailer and you could end up in the ditch, or two, and the big one, your trailer pops off the ball and you got a loose cannon on your hands.Most saftety chains wont be able to take the hit of that trailer tongue reaching for the sky and the tail of the trailer hitting the ground, and you will have quite a movie going on in your rear view mirror. And the sad thing is, both times when I saw the result of this type of loading, both drivers reached for a hat full of brakes, and that trailer came right through the tailgate.

With a smaller truck like yours, load your trailer with your load, and try and keep your load 60/40 with the weight forward.Ideally, your axles should be spaced with more payload up front, so when loading drop everything on the axles first and alternate between the front of the axles and the back.These smaller trucks require a whole lot more attention to balancing the load than a bigger truck.I know you may have hauled a bunch already in the thing,and I am probably telling you something that you already know, but i was just trying to lend out what I have learned over the past ten years of hauling a big load with a smaller truck.

Thanks avalancher. I had not thought of the scenario you described. I have had close to a 1/3 of a cord in my box (without a trailer) and it did sag the rear considerably. 1/2 tons...(to self) suck it up Kevin...it's what you have...so live with it :). I do try and keep the load over the axles and then distribute it between the front and rear of the trailer as is needed (regarding the borrowed car hauler).

It's funny...when I'm driving by myself in our small SUV or my truck (empty), I'm in a different state of mind then when I have my wife and daughter with me...I'm more alert it seems...protective maybe? And when I'm pulling a load or hauling a load in my truck box, I'm in another state of mind...listening to the engine more, feeling what happens when I touch the brakes, feeling what the truck does when it goes over a bigger bump in the road and so on.

Ok...back on topic Kevin...getting your trailer load worthy :).

Kevin

i have a trailer similar to yours and it makes a good wood hauler. Mine is a open deck no side rails, but i built 20" treated rails for it to hold rounds in place.

as far as tires go i would just use load range d or e truck tires, thats what mine had for 5 years till they dryrotted. i regularly haul 650 gallons of water on mine and it done fine. if it were mine i would straiten the rail as best i could, replace the tire, get the lights working properly, replace the bad boards and give her a new coat of paint. garruntee it'll look rough after about 3 or 4 years anyways, i take good care of mine and its all beat up after 6 years and i bought mine new. btw a real steal for a "couple hundred" i gave 1400 for mine:clap:

jbighump, are you running 15" rims on that trailer? If so, what size tires do you have on them? I ask this because in looking up tire specs (for used tire info), it looks like for LT 15” tires, load range C is as high as they go. LT235/75R15 is the largest LT metric size in a 15” tire (then there is the LT flotation sizes from 30x9.50, 31x10.50 and I believe there is a 33x size).

I see load range D and E in the LT 16” tires and up. So I’m thinking that you fellas that have D and E rated LT tires on your trailers have them on 16” (or 17”) rims. Is that correct?

I have seen load range D and E specs for ST 15” trailer tires.

Kevin

So what's up with this trailer Kevin?

Any news or pics to share? :)

Chris, not much. 'Trailer repair money' is hard to come by these days :). I have some medical bills to take care of, and have been busy with work (which is good cause money is coming in...just not fast enough...), family stuff and whatever else. I have been online looking up prices for repair items and have did some drawings of how I want to the do sideboards...I know, I know getting ahead of myself :). I want to get the trailer so I can get it on the road to take it wherever I'll get the rail fixed...and it might be a little drive away. I got some wheel bearing grease yesterday so I'll be seeing how my wheel bearing repacking skills are. Hopefully the bearings are salvageable. I'll also see if I can get the lights to work.

One tire is completely flat, and I have a tire and rim that hopefully has the correct bolt pattern to fit. The other tires need air and should hold enough air for me to move the trailer around.

That's how things sit right now. Don't know when I'll get at the wheel bearings seeing that I've been asked to fall a tree this Saturday, and the following weekend is family time for a camping trip that I've promised to my little girl (her first camping trip) and my wife (2 years overdo...). I might try and work on it during the week after work...we'll see.

As far as pics...nothing of note I'd say. I crawled underneath and took a few of where the springs attach to the axle, which also shows the mount plate for the brakes. And a few of a crossmember-to-frame area. I'll post the springs/axle ones. What looks like 'bubble rust' is dirt and muck.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Kevin

Chris, not much. 'Trailer repair money' is hard to come by these days :). I have some medical bills to take care of, and have been busy with work (which is good cause money is coming in...just not fast enough...), family stuff and whatever else. I have been online looking up prices for repair items and have did some drawings of how I want to the do sideboards...I know, I know getting ahead of myself :). I want to get the trailer so I can get it on the road to take it wherever I'll get the rail fixed...and it might be a little drive away. I got some wheel bearing grease yesterday so I'll be seeing how my wheel bearing repacking skills are. Hopefully the bearings are salvageable. I'll also see if I can get the lights to work.

One tire is completely flat, and I have a tire and rim that hopefully has the correct bolt pattern to fit. The other tires need air and should hold enough air for me to move the trailer around.

That's how things sit right now. Don't know when I'll get at the wheel bearings seeing that I've been asked to fall a tree this Saturday, and the following weekend is family time for a camping trip that I've promised to my little girl (her first camping trip) and my wife (2 years overdo...). I might try and work on it during the week after work...we'll see.

As far as pics...nothing of note I'd say. I crawled underneath and took a few of where the springs attach to the axle, which also shows the mount plate for the brakes. And a few of a crossmember-to-frame area. I'll post the springs/axle ones. What looks like 'bubble rust' is dirt and muck.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Kevin

Packing the bearings is pretty easy, just make sure to pre-load them when you put everything back together to ensure that there isn't any excess play.

The lights? ... check the ground wires. That should get you going. :)

More importantly, have a great time on your camping trip and take yourself a bunch of pics as your girl will only have one first camping trip with her daddy and down the road you will both appreciate being able to look at those pics. :)

Packing the bearings is pretty easy, just make sure to pre-load them when you put everything back together to ensure that there isn't any excess play.

The lights? ... check the ground wires. That should get you going. :)

More importantly, have a great time on your camping trip and take yourself a bunch of pics as your girl will only have one first camping trip with her daddy and down the road you will both appreciate being able to look at those pics. :)

Pre-loading...not sure I know what you mean.

I've traced the wires and they look to be in good condition (I will be putting some of that plastic conduit around them) and I agree with you on that it's probably the ground wire that needs attention. Course I'll check the bulbs too.

We're looking forward to the camping trip. Hopefully the weather will cooperate. She loves being outside and she has made 'tents' out of chairs and blankets in our living room. I'm sure she'll love it. There will be lots of pics for sure :).

Kevin

Kevin, if you ever need lights for the trailer, you can catch Harbor Freight coupons all the time that offer a magnetic emergency trailer light kit for 9.99. It's got about 18' of wire, connectors and two good trailer lights in it. It's about the best buy that HF offers. You can use the wire and lights as replacements on your trailer if you need to.
It's cheaper than you can buy the wire alone at most places.
I carry a set behind the seat of the truck just incase my trailer lights go out at night.

Kevin, if you ever need lights for the trailer, you can catch Harbor Freight coupons all the time that offer a magnetic emergency trailer light kit for 9.99. It's got about 18' of wire, connectors and two good trailer lights in it. It's about the best buy that HF offers. You can use the wire and lights as replacements on your trailer if you need to.
It's cheaper than you can buy the wire alone at most places.
I carry a set behind the seat of the truck just incase my trailer lights go out at night.

Funny you should mention that...I spent the extra few bucks last year and got the LED set when they were on sale/coupon. I too keep mine in my truck for if the lights on the borrowed car hauler quit. I've tried them out, and the magnets don't seem to be that strong, but they will hold. I'm still going to try and get the trailer lights going as soon as I can, but if I need to replace one (or both) of the lamps and need to move the trailer before I buy them, I'll get out the emergency light kit. Thanks for the reminder...I sometimes forget that I have those lights.

Kevin

Kevin,

Looks and sounds like you're making headway.

On that plastic conduit for the wires, plain old Garden hose(The old heavy woven canvass and rubber is the best!) holds up better than any dedicated conduit sold. It dosn't crack chip and break in the cold when a rock flips up or ya snag a branch.
It sounds kinda hillbilly, but nobody will see it anyway...just in case your hillbilly permit is expired.;)

Psst... Tires easy has your E rated 15's.
tires-easy.com - Our selection of 225/75 R15 All season tires Load Range E

Also check with the smaller tire shops around your neck of the woods, that cater to us farmbillys.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

dinger, I was just getting ready to quit working and get myself to bed when I thought I'd check my email...and there was a reply.

About the garden hose...aaaaaggggghhhhh! A few weeks ago, I tossed a length of garden hose that had a few leaks...it would have been perfect! I guess my hillbilly thinking didn't kick in that time. I might be able to find some more hose though. Hillbilly or not, I don't care...it sounds good to me :).

And thanks for the link to those tires. I don't know if I'd really need E rated tires...D would probably work for me considering the trailer frame and the 3500 lb axles. We'll see.

I'm going to check the local tire shops to see what's out there...ya never know :).

Kevin

I'm hoping ya find this in the morning.:msp_smile:

If it's only a matter of a couple bucks, go for the most tire you can get. It's cheap insurance in case your scale is off calibration.;)

Don't forget a spare tire and a farm jack.
Even if ya don't get a flat, the farm jack is handy as heck for lotsa things. Straightening out bent stuff and pulling trees, getting the truck unstuck...etc.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I'm hoping ya find this in the morning.:msp_smile:

If it's only a matter of a couple bucks, go for the most tire you can get. It's cheap insurance in case your scale is off calibration.;)

Don't forget a spare tire and a farm jack.
Even if ya don't get a flat, the farm jack is handy as heck for lotsa things. Straightening out bent stuff and pulling trees, getting the truck unstuck...etc.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Yep...my 'scale' being what I can see...as in how the tires are sitting, and how much are the Timbrens compressed :).

I read somewhere online about how that fellas were having some problems with trailer tires (can't remember if they were talking about the cheaper, imported, Chinese made tires) when they were loading them to approximately their rated max. I know it sounds crazy because they should be able to carry what they're rated for, but it was also said that tires need to be inflated to the proper PSI. As in 50 PSI for a C rated trailer tire to get the 1820 lbs. max rating.

Seeing the way I am, I should (and will) dish out the extra cash for a higher rated tire...to a sensible point :).

Good point on the farm jack. I have access to one, but don't own one. I've been meaning to get one for a while. It will be added later.

Kevin

Back