Trailer to fix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jbighump, are you running 15" rims on that trailer? If so, what size tires do you have on them? I ask this because in looking up tire specs (for used tire info), it looks like for LT 15” tires, load range C is as high as they go. LT235/75R15 is the largest LT metric size in a 15” tire (then there is the LT flotation sizes from 30x9.50, 31x10.50 and I believe there is a 33x size).

I see load range D and E in the LT 16” tires and up. So I’m thinking that you fellas that have D and E rated LT tires on your trailers have them on 16” (or 17”) rims. Is that correct?

I have seen load range D and E specs for ST 15” trailer tires.

Kevin

Kevin, I just put new tires on the back axle of my trailer. They are 7.00x15" load range E, they were $80 a piece mounted on my wheels at a local tire shop.

Kevin, I just put new tires on the back axle of my trailer. They are 7.00x15" load range E, they were $80 a piece mounted on my wheels at a local tire shop.

That's a good price. I'd like to find that kind of a deal locally myself.

Do you get your trailer tires balanced also? I've read both sides of the argument about balancing or not balancing trailer tires.

Kevin

I talked to my friend today, asked him what he want for his trailer, he said "a couple hundred". Done. So I'm committed...I hope I haven't got over my head in the work that I need to do.

Kevin

Sounds like a good deal to me.. You'll always get your money back out of something like that. Lot of good and yet simple advice on this topic. Let us know how it turns out.

Pre-loading...not sure I know what you mean.

I've traced the wires and they look to be in good condition (I will be putting some of that plastic conduit around them) and I agree with you on that it's probably the ground wire that needs attention. Course I'll check the bulbs too.

We're looking forward to the camping trip. Hopefully the weather will cooperate. She loves being outside and she has made 'tents' out of chairs and blankets in our living room. I'm sure she'll love it. There will be lots of pics for sure :).

Kevin

I did a quick search and came up with <a href="http://users.westco.net/~tandjlm/Information/Bearings.htm">this write-up</a> about wheel bearings. I haven't read it, but I did scan it enough to confirm that it mentions pre-loading.

HTH

Sounds like a good deal to me.. You'll always get your money back out of something like that. Lot of good and yet simple advice on this topic. Let us know how it turns out.

Agreed.

Kevin

I did a quick search and came up with <a href="http://users.westco.net/~tandjlm/Information/Bearings.htm">this write-up</a> about wheel bearings. I haven't read it, but I did scan it enough to confirm that it mentions pre-loading.

HTH

I scanned it quickly, it looks like good info Chris:cheers:

Do you get your trailer tires balanced also? I've read both sides of the argument about balancing or not balancing trailer tires.

Kevin
I could have taken them for $70 cash and carry but new valve stems,mounted and balanced for $80 seemed like a better deal. The balancing I have done with and without in my applications I get mud in the wheels frequently so not much difference. It seems they are only balanced for a short time anyway.

I could have taken them for $70 cash and carry but new valve stems,mounted and balanced for $80 seemed like a better deal. The balancing I have done with and without in my applications I get mud in the wheels frequently so not much difference. It seems they are only balanced for a short time anyway.

Yep...you did do very well. What brand of tires are they?

Kevin

There is only one time that I have had a tire balanced on a trailer, and that was because I had some uneven wear patterns showing up.

Guy balanced the tire, and when I went to pick it up it looked like he had five pounds of lead stuck on that thing.When I asked him why so much lead, he said it was really out of balance.I asked him to throw it back on the balancer for me,and before it even got up to speed you could see how bent the rim was,it was wobbling all over the place.Obviously I had hit something.I had him jerk the tire off the rim and put it on a new rim and problem was solved. Why he didnt call me to tell me about the bent rim before slapping a ton of lead on I will never know....

I go through too much mud and gunk to balance any tires on a trailer. If it was a full-time highway trailer, that might be different story. I did have to align one time because it kept wondering over to the left. I just knocked over the axle with a Big Hammer until it looked good from behind.

HTH

good write up cj. been packing bearings for a long time but tonight realized things i was apparently doing wrong. i always preloaded, just didn't always unload all the way. haha

dinger, I was just getting ready to quit working and get myself to bed when I thought I'd check my email...and there was a reply.

About the garden hose...aaaaaggggghhhhh! A few weeks ago, I tossed a length of garden hose that had a few leaks...it would have been perfect! I guess my hillbilly thinking didn't kick in that time. I might be able to find some more hose though. Hillbilly or not, I don't care...it sounds good to me :).

And thanks for the link to those tires. I don't know if I'd really need E rated tires...D would probably work for me considering the trailer frame and the 3500 lb axles. We'll see.

I'm going to check the local tire shops to see what's out there...ya never know :).

Kevin

one thing,,you can NEVER overbuy on a tire---the heavier the rating,,the better..better to have a far better tire than needed!!!!

Kevin

balance them!!! i didnt one of mine,,and it chopped the tread like mad!!! and ive been thru mud,,and trees with it,,and never knocked a weight off......

HTH

I printed out the 10 pages and have read part of it. I have to agree with the others...very good find Chris! Lots of detail...just like I like it. :)

Kevin

one thing,,you can NEVER overbuy on a tire---the heavier the rating,,the better..better to have a far better tire than needed!!!!

You and the others have me convinced...buy as much tire as my wallet can handle. Got it. :)

balance them!!! i didnt one of mine,,and it chopped the tread like mad!!! and ive been thru mud,,and trees with it,,and never knocked a weight off......

The way I am, I'll get them balanced...for whatever peace of mind it'll give me.

Kevin

Back