Trailers??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newguy777

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey everybody, I have a question on trailers for transporting logs. Anybody use a one ton truck and trailer to transport whole logs?? What kind of trailer would you use? Not looking to transport alot of them just what I could legally do with a one ton pickup. If anybody has pics of what they use. Please show them. I am not a big company just a smalltime guy working on my own land. So the cost factor is huge. Thanks

I'm not gonna pretend to know what the best setup would be, but I will share some info. One of the local tree companys uses a custom built trailer that is made out of what looks like plain steel I beams. I has no trailer decking other than the cross beams made out of the steel I beams. kinda looks like a setup that a actual semi truck would pull(but scaled down). They use a dually to pull this trailer, and its long enough to carry what looks like a 20ft. log. I'll try and snap a picture the next time I see it. I'm sure someone else will chime in with personal experiences.

One thing to keep in mind is the loading and unloading ease. Loading isn't bad..you can parbuckle or ramp the wood if you don't have a loader. Unloading without tearing up your trailer is a big consideration. Its nice to have a tractor with a front end loader and maybe a couple of sets of tongs. And a landing rat to do all the hooking and unhooking :)

Trailer limitations have a lot to do with brakes on the trailer and on the truck. Registering and insurance are another major problem. Don't get busted for under registering your trailer (weight).

Bailey's will send you a free video for trailers withn log booms...start around $5-8K to ~$15k for the type of truck you're talking about. Blue Rhiono is another choice, but more money.

my trailer

7x12 with a 3' extension, its an old tilt and load, with a winch on the front. the other day i had 8 12-16' logs on it, i tow it with my 90hp tractor so i don't have to worry about licensing. i was in a hurry so i pulled the logs off the back with a chain, no damage to trailer but usually i use log tongs to lift them off.

Nice tractor. Nice enclosure too, I am sure that is nice. Sometimes I wonder though whether or not I would really like the encolusre, as in the middle of the winter it is probably nice, but in the summer it might get annoying. Ours at work just has a canopy. How many HP? Got hyrdo connections on the back?

I have a loader that is towed by my one ton truck. I am a small tree business and work pretty much by myself. The loader is from Bailey's and I have had it for two years now. It works very well for me. I purchased the loader and mounted onto a car trailer that I purchased at an auction. I had a local welder mount the loader and I put sides on later. Here is a picture of it.

Thanks, the picture doesn't include the sides and 5ft. tall rear that I added on later. The boxed area of it is about 10ft. long by 6ft. wide by 4ft. high. The axles are pretty heavy duty but don't have brakes on them, I will probably add brakes soon. The tires are standard 15in. pickup tires. The dump area I go to is full of construction nails and I get quite a few flats every summer. I am getting good at plugging tires.

tbst

its a 90 hp case ih, two sets of remotes, air conditioning in the summer, heat in the winter. there are pics of hauling logs with the logging winch in the "farm tractor in the woodlot" and "gone to the beech" threads if i remember right.

Newguy777 said:
Hey everybody, I have a question on trailers for transporting logs. Anybody use a one ton truck and trailer to transport whole logs?? What kind of trailer would you use? Not looking to transport alot of them just what I could legally do with a one ton pickup. If anybody has pics of what they use. Please show them. I am not a big company just a smalltime guy working on my own land. So the cost factor is huge. Thanks

I use a 1 ton Dodge/cummins 4x4, with a 16' "Texas Pride" gooseneck dump trailer. I had them build the trailer with an 8' wide flat deck (no sideboards), so I can haul units of lumber when I need to.
Hauling 16' logs I put steel stakes in pockets, and load with my Bobcat 863 with a grapple bucket. Talked to the wood yard this morning and they said I was averaging 3.8 cords a load. I have to haul wood 20 miles down a 6% grade, so an exhaust brake is a must.

I used to use a flat bed, and unload with can't hooks, and winches. A few years ago a small log got away from me and shattered my left knee. In my opinion a dump trailer is the BEST investment you can make in hauling logs, it's a lot cheaper than hospital bills, and 8 months off work.

Andy

ive gotta 02 3500 dodge diesel. Ive pulled several loads of full length logs with it on my 32' gooseneck neckover dual tandem trailer. i had metal stakes in the pockets every so often. i could haul about 30,000lbs including the trailer (just because the stakes wernt very high) i could pull them just fine, however stopping had to be planned....

Yep, you can't drive like you're empty.
A loaded truck is like a jealous woman: Take your mind off of her for a second and she will get your attention back.

Andy

Latest posts

Back