trakmats vs plywood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGrunt

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey guys just want to know if anyone uses those trakmats. I can see they would last longer. Just wondering what you guys use and what you think of the trakmats or just using plywood.

Hey guys just want to know if anyone uses those trakmats. I can see they would last longer. Just wondering what you guys use and what you think of the trakmats or just using plywood.

we have both. the mats last longer ofc but we frequently use the plywood because the mats are hella heavy. we have both the rubber type and the plastic type. the rubber ones are cool and prevent tearing up the grass but i think the more ridgid plastic ones help distribute weight better resulting in less soil compaction

Without a doubt better to use trak mats or alturna mats.

The mats are far more versatile than plywood and I have covered it in other posts as to why but I will give a brief overview of the advantages.

You will pay for your mats in 3 years depending how often you use your plywood. I have had mine for over 6 years and I would have easily paid about twice in plywood for those same 6 years.

The mats grip the ground better and can be linked. So rarely will you spin them out from under you. You can put them over a ditch and they will form to the contour of the ground, rather than break.

You can use them to land your big wood on to save turf or concrete. You can put them up against a fence to prevent wood from bouncing into the fence. You can use them as guards for stump grinding.

They are a little heavier but well worth it. I will never go back to plywood.

In fact, just ordered 6 more mats to bring my total to 14.

The only thing to be concerned about, is the textured surface. On a hot enough day with a crane or heavy truck, you can print a pattern in an asphalt driveway.

Other than that, you can't beat them with a stick!

Back