Transplant shock

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jailed

Reaction score
I just planted a Sycamore on Sunday. It was from a nursery and in a 65 gal container. It has a 3 to 4 inch caliper and is almost 15 ft tall. Followed nursery instuctions for planting it but I have noticed that all the leaves are now browning and dropping off. Second tree that was bought and planted same time is not showing any signs of stress. Other than watering is there something that I can do to help this tree along.

Your problem could not relate to the planting but how it was transported to the site. If the tree was not covered properly it could be leaf burn.

If they were in rows in the nursery, and if one was from within, in the shade, and and the other from on the edge, in the sun, those symptoms could occur.

That may not be your problem, but its one possibility that happens frequently when a tree comes from shade in a nursery, to hot sunny weather.

I have no idea what you weather is like. So you can consider this possibility.

Trunks can get burned too.

I'm going to make a switch for some trees, to wrapping a shade screen or window screen material around the trunk and staple it.

I think white wraps are too solid. The black screens don't get hot because of how porous they are, and they provide a light shade.

The exchange of air is excellent too.

Back