Trash picked 038

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neversosure

I HAVE CAD!
Reaction score
Been a while since I been here on the site, but when you need answers about a chainsaw you have to come here!!!!

I trashed picked an 038 AV Magnum II, no bar but complete. I brought it back to the house and tinkered with it. It pulls over but very very hard, afraid the rope is gonna break. I did a search on here and I am going to check the rope, flywheel for binding, etc..... does not look as if it has been run in a long time. There is a repair tag on the handle from one tie or another with no info on it.

I believe this old saw is worth fixing, I have my homeowner MS270 saw that has not ever let me down in the past 8 years. I would like to get this saw running and add it to my inventory. Is it worth fixing? what do you guys think?

Matty

If done it can look like this if u take time im almost done with it
991629ed232b4bd101bbf45394f2d16a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been a while since I been here on the site, but when you need answers about a chainsaw you have to come here!!!!

I trashed picked an 038 AV Magnum II, no bar but complete. I brought it back to the house and tinkered with it. It pulls over but very very hard, afraid the rope is gonna break. I did a search on here and I am going to check the rope, flywheel for binding, etc..... does not look as if it has been run in a long time. There is a repair tag on the handle from one tie or another with no info on it.

I believe this old saw is worth fixing, I have my homeowner MS270 saw that has not ever let me down in the past 8 years. I would like to get this saw running and add it to my inventory. Is it worth fixing? what do you guys think?

Matty

Absolutely worth fixing but pics would help a lot. If you decide to sell it please let me know.

OK..... i just got in from the garage...... :rock::rock::rock::rock:ITS ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I checked the pull rope, its worn and looks a little twisted. I will replace at once!

I pulled the muffler and the side of the piston is clean, there is signs of wear, also looked across the piston to the other side of the cylinder, there was a small line in the cylinder bore, nothing deep. Top of the piston has some carbon build up.

I put it all back together dumped out the old fuel and filled with fresh fuel. As I pulled.... it was still hard....... FOMP......FOMP......FOMP..... so I removed the plug and dumped a cap full of fuel in the cylinder. Pulled and WHAM BRAAAAAAAAAP!!!!!!!!

Excuse me.... BUT I AM EXCITED! Seems the choke linkage is bound up with the air filter (I will address that), took the air filter off and it is an APE WITH HIS ARSE ON FIRE!!!

Shut it down and restarted 15 times, every time it fired right off. I will try it tomorrow morning when it is cold.

Now to find an acceptable bar to put on this lil monster!!!

Any tips or ideas please throw em my way!!!!

Matty

I made a crappy video I will post soon

Oem is the best anything else is a crap shoot Most porters wont due aftermarket. Mastermind did my other one and its a beast Cyl kits still available thru stihl for the ms380. Mag ll some came with a 3 port muff oem but u can make any one u got my adding them but there frigging loud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I am going to take my time with this gem. I am going to start clearing an acre and a half at my place, I cut every other weekend. My MS270 that I bought new 8 years ago has treated me good, I have the 16" and 20" bars for it. Now that I am going to step up the cutting time this 038 will really help me out.

I have it together........ It starts right up and cuts like a SOB!!!!! I think it sat for long time, causing the hard pull situation, now that I have ran it, it starts like butter. New 24" bar, New plug, new air filter, new fuel filter and a new pull rope!

Now that I know it runs good, I am going to clean it up and make her pretty!

20170208_190029.jpg

20170208_190106.jpg

20170208_1900551.jpg

20170208_190040.jpg

Latest posts

Back