tree climber needed????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdog2

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
not sure if this is really the right place to ask, but i have a couple of horse chestnutt trees that need to come down. problem is they are next to the house. im temped just to rope them and pull them with the truck but as close as they are to the house it makes me a little nervous. they are approx. 50 foot trees. a few broken/dead limbs in the mix and other trees close by as well. (they will be going in the future but these 2 are the main concern)

anyway i was wondering if there was anyone out there in the cannon falls mn area who is a skilled climber that might be looking for a side job. i couldnt pay much and could maybe barter some welding work or something. i just need them limbed off and put on the ground so i can take care of them from there. i dont suspect it would take more then a few hours for someone who knows what their doing.

anyway just putting it out there and hoping for some feedback:msp_wink::msp_smile:

its a crappy pic but you can see the trees somewhat. they're not to big really. if they werent so close to the house.....well.....im still tempted to rope them and pull with the truck, but like i said they make me a little nervous. they are about 10-15 feet away from the house.

View attachment 232250

Last edited:
i should clarify the base of the trees is about twenty feet from the house the branches are 10 or so from the house not includeing the roof over the deck. these really arent that big of trees. i thought someone by now would have at least shown a little interest in making some cash on the side. hmmm maybe i should have offered to pay in beer:msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin::dizzy::dizzy:

as close as they are to the house it makes me a little nervous

a skilled climber that might be looking for a side job

i couldnt pay much and could maybe barter some welding work or something

i dont suspect it would take more then a few hours for someone who knows what their doing.

You want to know why nobody is interested???

See above....

you don't want to pay much, but you know that for somebody who knows what they're doing, it'll just take a few hours.

to us that reads like:

"I've can't do it myself, but I'd be happy as heck for somebody to come to my house and take down these trees over my deck roof and house, and if it takes you four hours I'd be willing to give you a crisp hundred dollar bill."

Don't get me wrong, if you've got a tree guy a half mile away who needs a bunch of welding work........yeah, probably not, cause they're still standing.

Looking at the pic, you're probably looking in the $400-$800 range to get them both on the ground. If you're willing to pony up for the sweat, liability, and risk, I'm sure somebody can make your troubles disappear.

Otherwise, you're left with assuming the risk yourself. I wonder how much it might cost to fix the deck roof and house if something went wrong. Probably considerably more than the high end of my guesstimate.

And if you find someone who'll do the job for beer, you deserve what you get when the tree lands on the house and the uninsured guy drives off.

Those trees look like they have a natural lean towards the house. I have pulled about 80 trees that height with a wench and 79 of them had one thing in common. they all were pretty straight. one leaned to far towards an area I didn't want it to fall. I was lucky my heavy line kept it from falling backwards but it did end up falling sideways as it ripped the hinge off. it was something I was told could not happen but it does in fact happen under the correct conditions. To pull those trees you would have to tie up pretty far into the tree for leverage and even then a truck isn't going to move them where they don't want to go.

Pay an experienced man what he needs to take them down at least. maybe you can find someone who will fell them and let you do the bucking and clean up. Plan on paying him for most of the day which will be at least $300. If he is willing to climb up there for much less he probably isn't that experienced (or may be really hard up for cash)

ddhlakebound.....there is no reason to act like an ass. back off with the ego some. apparently you dont know what welding work costs and what steel and materials prices run these days. also learn to understand when someone is joking around.

aside from that i thought id check here first and actually find someone who could climb to do the work. i havent checked with any local tree services because as far as i know they all use bucket trucks. its been my experience also that most of them hire on younger guys with less experience cause "hey we got bucket trucks". im sorry if i dont want some bucket truck commando rippin up my yard and making a big mess of things.

currently none of the branches reach over any part of the house. its a simple cut and drop on everything.

as far as ropeing and pulling goes ive done my share with no problems (so far). but i take into account every thing i can and give my self room for error. i wait till conditons are the best for the job if possible as well. wind direction and all of that. the more leaves these trees get the heavier they get and the harder it would be to pull them.

ive been making wood since i was 12 years old so ive felled my share of trees. when others in they area had issues with trees hung up or whatever they always got me and my dad to come take care of it for them. i can fall most any tree and make it do what i want most of the time. i can read the tree and know what it wants to do and what i can reasonably make it do.

im no professional but i know my way around a tree. im just not a climber. if i had my own allterrain man lift it would be a different game alltogether.

if anyone wants to chime in here with some reasonable words pertaining to my original posting subject please do. if you want to post here and assume im just some dumb@ss trying to get something for nothing than move along please.

i would do it but i'm in Tennessee i have done about 20 to 30 trees and about 10 of them was leaning like those too.

but if i lived closer to you i would do the work because i need a new top storage dog box made. But wish i could help you out but i live along way off.

ddhlakebound.....there is no reason to act like an ass. back off with the ego some. apparently you dont know what welding work costs and what steel and materials prices run these days. also learn to understand when someone is joking around.

aside from that i thought id check here first and actually find someone who could climb to do the work. i havent checked with any local tree services because as far as i know they all use bucket trucks. its been my experience also that most of them hire on younger guys with less experience cause "hey we got bucket trucks". im sorry if i dont want some bucket truck commando rippin up my yard and making a big mess of things.

currently none of the branches reach over any part of the house. its a simple cut and drop on everything.

as far as ropeing and pulling goes ive done my share with no problems (so far). but i take into account every thing i can and give my self room for error. i wait till conditons are the best for the job if possible as well. wind direction and all of that. the more leaves these trees get the heavier they get and the harder it would be to pull them.

ive been making wood since i was 12 years old so ive felled my share of trees. when others in they area had issues with trees hung up or whatever they always got me and my dad to come take care of it for them. i can fall most any tree and make it do what i want most of the time. i can read the tree and know what it wants to do and what i can reasonably make it do.

im no professional but i know my way around a tree. im just not a climber. if i had my own allterrain man lift it would be a different game alltogether.

if anyone wants to chime in here with some reasonable words pertaining to my original posting subject please do. if you want to post here and assume im just some dumb@ss trying to get something for nothing than move along please.

Wow, I thought I was being quite nice and polite, though I can imagine that the truth hurt just a bit.

There was a joke in there? Where? I missed it.

In your first post you said nothing about providing steel, or about your welding experience and qualifications, only that you'd like to trade welding work (or little pay) for the job. You want a professional (with insurance I assume) to take care of your problem in a professional manner. Maybe you should expect to provide the same professionalism in return if you want to trade services.

It's always funny when the guy who can't do it himself says "it's an easy cut and drop". That wood rail fence behind the trees can be bombed too, right? But what's the difference, rig a few down, pull a top clear over its lean, swing this one, hinge that one. In no time it's down, and nothing is damaged. From the ground it looked like an "easy cut and drop". You just stick the saw in the wood and it magically lands where you want it. From the tree, years of experience, thousands worth of gear, expert execution, and the climbers ass hanging on the line made it look like an "easy cut and drop".

I looked at a 90' dead oak a few weeks back, on an uphill slope above the house and with an understory of 40' oaks that shouldn't be damaged. The guy said that he could easily do it himself, but it cost too much to get all the gear to be worth having it down, so he wanted to know how much for me to take it down. I probed a bit, and his thoughts were to go up to about 60' and bomb a third of the tree down whole, missing all the understory oaks, and counting on it to not go down the slope into his home. Yup, easy cut and drop. I declined to offer a bid. Any real number I gave him would have only offended him. His obvious valuation of the job was laughable.

How bout if you price your welding work as you wish, and expect the tree guy to do the same thing. People start to think you're kinda dodgy when you want to price both sides of a deal.

i thought someone by now would have at least shown a little interest in making some cash on the side. hmmm maybe i should have offered to pay in beer:msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin::dizzy::dizzy:

Hey smart-a s s! I am just 4 posts into this and what started as an interesting question became 'Trollish',. Because of this quote, you have proved to be a condescending prick!
I will read on now.
Jeff

Hey smart-a s s! I am just 4 posts into this and what started as an interesting question became 'Trollish',. Because of this quote, you have proved to be a condescending prick!
I will read on now.
Jeff

man you guys must be a hoot at get togethers. the beer line was a joke.

ddhlakebound..... if you need thousands of dollars in gear to take these trees down then you my freind need to find a different line of work. i have seen climbers work. this is an easy job. i assure you that the fence is not in the line of fire. in fact it would be a benefit to me if it was as it needs to come down anyway. im just waiting for a fat robin to land on it and take it down. also i never said little pay. i said i couldnt pay much. meaning id be more inclined to trade work if i could. and that i dont want to pay some bucket truck punk to come and overcharge me for their lack of experience just because they are part of a company.

i realize its hard to judge the trees just from the pictures.

i also realize its always easier to assume everyone else is just some hick with a saw and that your years of "professional" experience must be superior to everyone elses. i guess in todays world nobody stops to think that hey maybe this guy might have some idea of what hes talking about.
im also not a professional mechanic but i can rebuild your truck engine. im not a professional plumber but i can replace your entire household water system. im not a professional hvac installer but i can replace your furnace. im not a professional machinist but i can turn your steel in a lathe. im not a professional roofer but i can tear off and reroof a house. im not a professional mason but i can lay your patio or pour your basement floor. im not a professional gunsmith but ive sure made a lot of "unfixable" guns go bang again.

just to assume that every other person that posts here is a complete twit is doing yourselves a huge disservice and makes the industry in itself look as if its filled with a bunch of ego laden asses. im not a profesional welder but id like to think i do damn fine welding work when i want to. i have worked with "professionals" who thought they were gods gift to welders and they were a far cry from what they thought they were.

ok rant mode off ..........(for now)........:msp_tongue:

man you guys must be a hoot at get togethers. the beer line was a joke.

ddhlakebound..... if you need thousands of dollars in gear to take these trees down then you my freind need to find a different line of work. i have seen climbers work. this is an easy job. i assure you that the fence is not in the line of fire. in fact it would be a benefit to me if it was as it needs to come down anyway. im just waiting for a fat robin to land on it and take it down. also i never said little pay. i said i couldnt pay much. meaning id be more inclined to trade work if i could. and that i dont want to pay some bucket truck punk to come and overcharge me for their lack of experience just because they are part of a company.

i realize its hard to judge the trees just from the pictures.

i also realize its always easier to assume everyone else is just some hick with a saw and that your years of "professional" experience must be superior to everyone elses. i guess in todays world nobody stops to think that hey maybe this guy might have some idea of what hes talking about.
im also not a professional mechanic but i can rebuild your truck engine. im not a professional plumber but i can replace your entire household water system. im not a professional hvac installer but i can replace your furnace. im not a professional machinist but i can turn your steel in a lathe. im not a professional roofer but i can tear off and reroof a house. im not a professional mason but i can lay your patio or pour your basement floor. im not a professional gunsmith but ive sure made a lot of "unfixable" guns go bang again.

just to assume that every other person that posts here is a complete twit is doing yourselves a huge disservice and makes the industry in itself look as if its filled with a bunch of ego laden asses. im not a profesional welder but id like to think i do damn fine welding work when i want to. i have worked with "professionals" who thought they were gods gift to welders and they were a far cry from what they thought they were.

ok rant mode off ..........(for now)........:msp_tongue:

Well, it's pretty obvious that in this case you don't know what you're talking about. I noticed that in your list of things that you can do, you didn't mention that you can do any of them right. Ya know, lots of times there's a difference between done and done right.

Lets take a look at the gear needed to take 'em down. Bare bones, no rigging, just climbing, saws, and a pull line. Also includes no PPE

Saddle $140-$500
Flipline $50-$130
Rope $120 +/-
2 biners or snaps $30-$50
Split tail $6-$25
Spikes $200-$500
3 saws (could get by with 2, but who'd want to?)
Top handle $300-$600
50cc 18" $350-$550
70/80cc 24" $600-$1000
1/2" arborplex pull rope $60

Cost?
$1856 on the low end, very basic gear. Shipping or tax not included
$3585 for nice, reliable pro gear. Shipping or tax not included

By the time you add tax or shipping, PPE, a couple extra chains, saw gas and bar oil, it's easily over $2k on the low end.

But I can tell you're a thrifty do-it-yourselfer, so you can probably get all that stuff at garage sales and pawn shops for less than half price, learn to climb, and take them down yourself for only a little more than my high end estimate. Not counting your labor and risk of course.

Or maybe you're looking for a monkey to tie a rope around his ass for a saddle, with a wild thing clipped to his belt loop.

You can blather on all you want about bucket truck punks, people trying to overcharge you, everything you can do yourself, the high cost of steel and stick and how tree people should work for beer, cause it boils down to:

You aren't willing to do these two trees because of the risk to your house. And ya know what? You're such a multi-talented guy that anything you can't do has gotta be worth something, right?

If you're such a handy man why are only offering your welding services?? of all the things you listed you can do welding is probably the last one someone is gonna need. As far as offering beer thats about all your gonna have to pay the drunks that are willing take these down for what you want to pay, but its a good thing you can reroof a house because you might need to replace yours.

Well, it's pretty obvious that in this case you don't know what you're talking about. I noticed that in your list of things that you can do, you didn't mention that you can do any of them right. Ya know, lots of times there's a difference between done and done right

you sir are ignorant and arrogant. and i highly doubt you purchase all of your equipment new for every job. i dont run out and buy a new mig welder for every job i do. and i see no need for any saw with over a 16 inch bar for these trees. to have to have a 24 to do these is just trying to look cool or show off.

and i offer welding work in trade because that is what i want to offer.

and again the beer line was a joke. you guys need to lighten up around here.

you sir are ignorant and arrogant. and i highly doubt you purchase all of your equipment new for every job. i dont run out and buy a new mig welder for every job i do. and i see no need for any saw with over a 16 inch bar for these trees. to have to have a 24 to do these is just trying to look cool or show off.

LMAO.....im ignorant, and you think one 16" saw will get 'er done. (It will, but no pro anywhere is going to spend that long for what you want to pay.) And arrogant? I really couldn't care less that you think that. You're clueless and cheap.

You don't want a pro.

YOU DO WANT A TREE MONKEY WITH A ROPE TIED AROUND HIS ASS FOR A SADDLE AND A WILD THING CLIPPED TO HIS BELT LOOP.

It's funny that once you realized that you were wrong about the costs of buying climbing gear and real saws, you flipped to "ya don't have to buy it every job", as if it never wears out of breaks, or the original outlay is less.

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll find a James the Narcoleptic Tree Cutter to do your job as hackishly as you want.

LMAO.....im ignorant, and you think one 16" saw will get 'er done. (It will, but no pro anywhere is going to spend that long for what you want to pay.) And arrogant? I really couldn't care less that you think that. You're clueless and cheap.

You don't want a pro.

YOU DO WANT A TREE MONKEY WITH A ROPE TIED AROUND HIS ASS FOR A SADDLE AND A WILD THING CLIPPED TO HIS BELT LOOP.

It's funny that once you realized that you were wrong about the costs of buying climbing gear and real saws, you flipped to "ya don't have to buy it every job", as if it never wears out of breaks, or the original outlay is less.

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll find a James the Narcoleptic Tree Cutter to do your job as hackishly as you want.

Maybe not. Even James has his limits. :msp_wink:

I agree, no one can take a joke around here, ive tried. It turned into a situation like this then i retaliated and got booted. so i just simply ask questions and answer the things i do know. I can see where they are coming from thinking you are serious though, im sure you can too.

You need to realize who you're dealing with here. There's a wealth of knowledge and experience in these forums and if you care to take advantage of it you can learn a lot. Most of the guys here will go to a great deal of trouble to answer questions and share what they know.

But...if you ask for advice and then argue with the advice given you are going to get slammed. You need to realize the extent of what you don't know. You make some noises about having "felled" trees and cut firewood. About all that means is that you can tell which one is the saw and which one is the tree. It's no guarantee of competency.

I'm a logger and I spend most of my time falling timber on the Left Coast. I've been doing it almost fifty years. But when I had some bad-ass cottonwood trees that were leaning out over my neighbor's orchard I didn't figure that my background in falling old growth Redwood was going to help me much. I called a tree service. They scampered around up there and did a job that I was most definitely not equipped to do. It cost a good bunch of money, sure, but I wrote the check and figured I was ahead of the game. I paid for their work and I paid for the knowledge and skill and safety they brought to it. Worth every penny.

Arborists know trees and rigging...it's their job. If they're not good at it they don't last long. Park your childish whiny baby attitude and just listen for awhile.

You might learn something. Or not. Your decision entirely.

jdog you are a funny man there are so many things you said that I could rip you a new one over but I don't have the time to write a novel

I'll just refer to one of the highlights "dont need more then a 16" saw" yea cause when I'm climbing this easy tree to put on the ground I want to wanker around in the tree with a toy and that base cut looks to be at least 32" if not bigger so yea a 16"er aint gonna cut it

why do you even need a climber? set a line in the one closest to the right put it where the red truck is clean up the mess. well I guess you should technically use a climber for this next step but I'm sure with all your skills you could figure out how to do it your self... cut the big limb off that is lowest and tword the right, on the tree to the left. clean up then set a rope in the top and lay it right where the other fell. done deal easy as one two three but then again I've only cut 5 trees down before and 3 went wrong :msp_scared: ok maybe 4 of them but nobody saw that last one

Back