tree climber needed????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
done deal easy as one two three but then again I've only cut 5 trees down before and 3 went wrong :msp_scared: ok maybe 4 of them but nobody saw that last one

That's what I try to help my fellow unfortunately homeowners!!! Do you guys SEE what passes for professional arborists these days?! All it takes is $3500 worth of equipment, insurance, and a business card.

I'm just giving NoTree a hard time. Unlike a lot of the arrogant jerks on this forum, this arrogant jerk can usually tell when someone was joking. :D

On one hand I had a recent experience that made me see where SOME of the pros are coming from...

I have a friend who I had only seen using a chainsaw one handed while standing on the wall of his newly framed garage with one foot and the fork of a lumber delivery boom lift with the other foot wearing no PPE. He wanted to borrow my 385xp to take down a big tree in the middle of where he was installing a septic system for his wife's new business. My wife said sure without asking me. :jawdrop: He then mentioned to me something about a tight squeeze with the powerlines. Since I like the guy and a 390 costs a lot more today than the 385 did in 2003, I told him I came along with the saw.

The tree was a 34" diameter waist height white ash. It was fairly balanced, but I wanted to take one limb off with the stupid homeowner chainsaw on a rope before we dropped it. There was then enough space to comfortably drop the tree whole, but had to aim for the corner of two perpendicular power lines. I installed a pull line 15' from the top of the tree, checked the notch cut about 4x, bore cut most of the back cut, and had him back up his bobcat anchoring the pull line another foot to add more tension to the pull line. The top fell within two feet of where we wanted it. We cleaned it up with the bobcat, I dropped five more 12-18" ash trees parallel to each across the top of the future septic field using wedges, and went home. The next weekend they took down a pine tree about 9" DBH with her driving the bobcat and him driving the chainsaw. I'm not sure what happened. I think she didn't push high/hard enough with the bobcat on the first pass so he took more wood and broke through the hinge. The tree went perpendicular to the direction they expected.

I was very happy I said I had to come along with the 385. I believe there was much name calling between spouses, but for once it didn't involve me. :msp_biggrin:

On the other hand there is the homeowner point of view here too...

He installed the new septic system when time allowed over the next two weeks. His wife then wanted three 80-100' white pines (and 3-6" dbh crap trees) blocking the view of the business from the road taken down. He learned his lesson and asked me to give him a hand. The pines had to be dropped almost parallel to a third set of power lines 35' away. Other than we called it off for 40+mph winds the first day, I suck at aiming a throw weight high up in a pine, and kept getting my throw line tangled in brush, it was easy.

While we were taking them down I was thinking of the AS homeowner threads and kept (jokingly) calling him a stupid f'n homeowner with no business driving a bobcat or a backhoe and a moron for asking an uninsured obviously incompetent fellow homeowner to help him take down the trees. LoL. He had just installed his wife's commercial septic system. Since it was a commercial septic he had to become a licensed installer in his state. He said he had to read for about 4 hours, take a multiple choice test, and pay $150. I (jokingly) called him a stupid f'n homeowner who had no business installing a septic. He should have left the work to a professional sh** director. Followed by lots of very funny comments about people going to die from raw sewage poisoning.

After springing for his license, upgrading the tank to one they could drive over, AND buying him a JCB backhoe/loader his wife still saved more than $3k over the lowest septic quote. He got a free backhoe out of the deal. She saved over $3k having us do various tree removals. I got 6-7 cords of firewood and a future favor. We both had fun along the way.

When she wanted/needed a bunch of concrete moving and site work done, he didn't need to go out and buy another backhoe just some diesel. I didn't need to spend $3500 to help them take down their trees. I burned a couple gallons of gas and wore out one round file. *shrug*

My friends dad is an excavator and grew up using his dad's equipment. I feel comfortable with that stupid homeowner putting his bucket within 1/2" of where he wants it. I feel comfortable with this stupid homeowner putting the top of most trees within a few feet of where I want them. Putting the bobcat in my hands and the chainsaw in his would probably lead to what most of you says will happen if a homeowner dares to remove their own tree. IMO people need to know their own limitations. I know which trees I can't tackle a lot better than pros who have never met me.

OP - If you don't feel comfortable felling that tree, you probably ought to get a pro to do it. Not because someone on here said so, but because you thought it before ever asking the question. Don't try to do it just because a bunch of arrogant jerks told you that you are too cheap/stupid to do it.

Last edited:
I'm a welder and a climber.

ddhlakebound.....there is no reason to act like an ass. back off with the ego some. apparently you dont know what welding work costs and what steel and materials prices run these days. also learn to understand when someone is joking around.

aside from that i thought id check here first and actually find someone who could climb to do the work. i havent checked with any local tree services because as far as i know they all use bucket trucks. its been my experience also that most of them hire on younger guys with less experience cause "hey we got bucket trucks". im sorry if i dont want some bucket truck commando rippin up my yard and making a big mess of things.

currently none of the branches reach over any part of the house. its a simple cut and drop on everything.

as far as ropeing and pulling goes ive done my share with no problems (so far). but i take into account every thing i can and give my self room for error. i wait till conditons are the best for the job if possible as well. wind direction and all of that. the more leaves these trees get the heavier they get and the harder it would be to pull them.

ive been making wood since i was 12 years old so ive felled my share of trees. when others in they area had issues with trees hung up or whatever they always got me and my dad to come take care of it for them. i can fall most any tree and make it do what i want most of the time. i can read the tree and know what it wants to do and what i can reasonably make it do.

im no professional but i know my way around a tree. im just not a climber. if i had my own allterrain man lift it would be a different game alltogether.

if anyone wants to chime in here with some reasonable words pertaining to my original posting subject please do. if you want to post here and assume im just some dumb@ss trying to get something for nothing than move along please.

I don't recall risking my life welding. Well maybe once doing a hot tap on a gas line.

Two different ball games here. You get what you pay for in this world. Be cheap and take your chances.

Union county?

i would do it but i'm in Tennessee i have done about 20 to 30 trees and about 10 of them was leaning like those too.

but if i lived closer to you i would do the work because i need a new top storage dog box made. But wish i could help you out but i live along way off.

All the tree guys around here are from up there. Everyone I have worked with in the last year is from there. Some good ,some really bad. LOL

All the tree guys around here are from up there. Everyone I have worked with in the last year is from there. Some good ,some really bad. LOL

LOL i heard that i seen some thats pretty good but some are nothing but pill heads with a 14 inch wally world saw. and they cut every one throat just enough to get a pill with and then on to the next cut throat job.

Well the guy I worked with last year ..........

LOL i heard that i seen some thats pretty good but some are nothing but pill heads with a 14 inch wally world saw. and they cut every one throat just enough to get a pill with and then on to the next cut throat job.

was too fat to be a pill head. Just a friggin' LIAR! If he said hello,I wouldn't believe him. What a douche.

trees dropped

Just ignore most of these knuckleheads. Somebody pissed in their cornflakes for breakfast! There is other tree forums to check out on the web. There probably is several climbers in your area. Who are qualified to do the work. Now how to find them? Ask around your area? Somebody knows somebody in the biz. Most of my referrals come from this word of mouth. Being insured as a individual or company doesn't always mean your good at what you do. Thats where referral by past client is a big plus! I may need a vacation in June or July. How soon you want this done?

Just to note, not long after this posting I had a local guy who runs a large tree service come out and do this job. Him and one employee came out in his personal car. Took them 2 hours give or take. They did all work with 2 saws with 18 inch bars except for the 2 base cuts. The stumps were knocked over with a jonserud with a 24 inch bar. Paid him $500 for an easy job. And yes he agreed that it was easy.

For those who claim I have no regard for equipment cost, I know ropes and gear wear out. I have spent many hours doing farm silo repair and have (had) my own rigging and harness/saddle. Still have some of it. Gave some to other guys when I stopped silo work. As I said I'm not a tree climber.

Just to note, not long after this posting I had a local guy who runs a large tree service come out and do this job. Him and one employee came out in his personal car. Took them 2 hours give or take. They did all work with 2 saws with 18 inch bars except for the 2 base cuts. The stumps were knocked over with a jonserud with a 24 inch bar. Paid him $500 for an easy job. And yes he agreed that it was easy.

For those who claim I have no regard for equipment cost, I know ropes and gear wear out. I have spent many hours doing farm silo repair and have (had) my own rigging and harness/saddle. Still have some of it. Gave some to other guys when I stopped silo work. As I said I'm not a tree climber.
I just read the all the posts, I know a couple climbers that are really good. If they don't have to clean up the mess they do it cheap. And it is easy for them. 500 ain't bad for a couple hours work. I also know a very experienced
welder that was welding on a fork lift and overheated a hydraulic cylinder, and it blew up in his face. Most of us are risking our lives while we work.

Try contacting this guy. I think he's just what you're looking for.

James the narcoleptic tree cutter - YouTube
LMFAO!
Maybe not. Even James has his limits. :msp_wink:
I have a white oak about 3' in diameter hanging over my house. It looks pretty healthy but I still worry. I was told $6000 to remove it.
Maybe not. Even James has his limits. :msp_wink:

Try contacting this guy. I think he's just what you're looking for.

James the narcoleptic tree cutter - YouTube

I asked a tree removal company about three 8"-10" DBH trees on the rear-side of my older house in DE that were leaning more and more towards the houses (mine and my neighbor's). One was dead at the base and ended up hanging on an adjacent tree after it was blown over by Hurricane IRENE. He quoted me $3000 per tree and then $300 more to grind each stump.

I took my chances and roped the trees and took them down with the help of two friends and my neighbor. Three hours, $20, and a 12 pack later, the job was done (including clean-up). Well, the stumps just got cut to as close to the ground as I could get them.

Was I lucky nothing got damaged or no one got hurt? Probably. But I was comfortable enough in my skill level (and having the help) to do the job.

Some companies just charge way too much IMO. I think the guy who gave me the quote was going to use a bucket truck which would explain why the quote was so high. Can't blame him for trying to get more of a profit though.

Saved myself a good chunk of change and got exercise to boot!

I asked a tree removal company about three 8"-10" DBH trees on the rear-side of my older house in DE that were leaning more and more towards the houses (mine and my neighbor's). One was dead at the base and ended up hanging on an adjacent tree after it was blown over by Hurricane IRENE. He quoted me $3000 per tree and then $300 more to grind each stump.

I took my chances and roped the trees and took them down with the help of two friends and my neighbor. Three hours, $20, and a 12 pack later, the job was done (including clean-up). Well, the stumps just got cut to as close to the ground as I could get them.

Was I lucky nothing got damaged or no one got hurt? Probably. But I was comfortable enough in my skill level (and having the help) to do the job.

Some companies just charge way too much IMO. I think the guy who gave me the quote was going to use a bucket truck which would explain why the quote was so high. Can't blame him for trying to get more of a profit though.

Saved myself a good chunk of change and got exercise to boot!
3k per tree? So 9k total? Just because u use a bucket does not make the job more money... our bucket goes to every job because it has all the tools on it. It does not cost us but a few dollars in fuel to use the truck on the job so it does not add to the cost of the job it normally reduces cost because the job goes faster it's about man hours not truck hours. You still have to pay for the truck if u use it or if it sits in your shop so... might as well use it.

3k per tree? So 9k total? Just because u use a bucket does not make the job more money... our bucket goes to every job because it has all the tools on it. It does not cost us but a few dollars in fuel to use the truck on the job so it does not add to the cost of the job it normally reduces cost because the job goes faster it's about man hours not truck hours. You still have to pay for the truck if u use it or if it sits in your shop so... might as well use it.

It wasn't a "big" name company so I'm only assuming he was going to rent the bucket truck. Or cost of insurance. Don't know as I'm not in the business. I'm seriously thinking about starting though after I retire in a couple years. Not owning...just working for a tree removal company. I'm fine with starting "from the ground up" since it would only supplement my retirement pay.

Yeah. 9K+ total (and that didn't even include clean-up).

I can only guess that he was trying to make a lot of money off of me.

9 thousand? That's absurd! 3 hrs 4 guys 1200+ travel time but with our bucket or even crane it would probably only be an hour, so about 700 and do it when we are in the area. Maybe he meant 900 and accidentally added a zero?
It can be hard to learn tree work at an older age when ur young you can work harder to make up for your inexperience. When your older u need to work smarter. It amazes me how much guys I work with will fight something it's like holy **** man just cut it or if you pull this instead of this it will Magicly do what u want...

....It can be hard to learn tree work at an older age when ur young you can work harder to make up for your inexperience. When your older u need to work smarter. It amazes me how much guys I work with will fight something it's like holy **** man just cut it or if you pull this instead of this it will Magicly do what u want...

I think I can hang with the young'uns. I hang with them now and in most cases, beat them. I work out 5 days a week so I don't think the physical part will be a problem. Now smarter? That's what starting as a groundman and learning from the experience(s) of the crew comes into play.

With camel toes and bare bellies for avatars, it's easy to see this site has really been sliding down.

"if anyone wants to chime in here with some reasonable words pertaining to my original posting subject please do."

Why did you want to cut the trees down? Tired of raking leaves?

With camel toes and bare bellies for avatars, it's easy to see this site has really been sliding down.

"if anyone wants to chime in here with some reasonable words pertaining to my original posting subject please do."

Why did you want to cut the trees down? Tired of raking leaves?
Are you the one that has 6,772 messages on this site and only 262 likes? Just curious.

Latest posts

Back