Tree Climbing - Stressful or Relaxing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stressful or Relaxing?

• Stressful

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Relaxing

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • 50/50

Votes: 43 74.1%

• Total voters

woodchux

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was wondering if you find tree climbing relaxing or stressful.
For me its a mix of about 50/50. The first tree of the day stresses me, but after lunchtime i find it very relaxing.

My vote doesn't count. I don't do this for a living. I must say that stress and relaxation can exist at the same time and place.
If you're ultimately chasing the happiness question:
I think you're a lucky bunch of folks.
There's a huge chunk of people on this planet that are not proud of what they do.
There's a bunch of people that don't take cameras to work.
There's no such thing as a drywaller's or a painter's forum. If there is, I'm not interested.

sprdave said:
My vote doesn't count. I don't do this for a living. I must say that stress and relaxation can exist at the same time and place.
If you're ultimately chasing the happiness question:
I think you're a lucky bunch of folks.
There's a huge chunk of people on this planet that are not proud of what they do.
There's a bunch of people that don't take cameras to work.
There's no such thing as a drywaller's or a painter's forum. If there is, I'm not interested.

I myself have also thought about that and when it comes down to it we truly are a brotherhood in our own industry.

I voted relaxing. I love the work, although it can sometimes be a PITA I find it very relaxing and great to be in the fresh air. The thing that soothes me the most is when i get to the very top and get to see that view.

I can't stand not working - even now on my holidays I can feel myself wanting to work. I'm going to be practicing my rec. climbing in about a week or so's time.

SRT, Woodchux if so, why are you blokes relaxed doing this line of work?

it all depends..........

I guess its not the climbing that is stressful as much as it is the work to be performed.

Big wood and lots of ropework=stress

Big trees in open spaces to prune(with plenty of daylight to finish)=relaxation

Removals are usually stressful. Pruning/deadwooding is really relaxing. Unfortunately, 90% of our work is removals so I'm not relaxed until I have my feet on the ground.
Phil

Personally, I find it relaxing. When you go out to the job and see what it entails, well I always feel like a kid at Christmas-you never know what you are going to get! Then you make the plan on how you are going to get the job done-and when everything goes according to the plan and you're swinging limbs over houses and knocking down chunks like there's no tomorrow, well there is no better feeling for me. (Of course things don't always go to plan but as I get older, fortunately those days are getting fewer.)

Why it's relaxing? Having too much fun-for me fun equates relaxation. I feel I'm above the rest of the world-no one can bother me with questions, the phone isn't ringing, etc.

to me it is usually adrenaline pumping excitement, hardly relaxing, but not stressful either. I get a sense of satisfaction with every cut I make, I push myself close to my limtiations, but know where my limitations are.

I also get stressed out, but hardly ever pertains to my work at hand. It is usually caused by my employees or pain in the arse customers or my equipment suddenly in need of a repair.

Need another option on this poll...

Relaxing and invigorating

Love it!Especially the bigger removals when done with a great ground crew,little beats the feeling of having a big top "snatched" after condensing the tree's canopy to a single spar ,on a job where everyone has performed excellently.BEERS ALL ROUND!!:clap:

Depends on the tree!

I'm new to climbing, but when it's a nice oak, gum or any open canopy tree I'm very relaxed and enjoy it. Bradford pears, pin oaks, previously topped maples that require thinning and overgrown ornamentals really get me worked up. When I get better maybe I'll see it different.

Not a pro, but always enjoyed climbing and cutting a few trees a year, until:

a. got over 60 YO, plus gained weight, and could not hang by one hand for 10 minutes anymore etc., thus climbing seemed a lot more effort; and,

b. having a limb knock me out of the tree due to bad judgement and found myself hanging free in the harness, somehow that took the fun out.

Stress is beneficial at low to moderate levels, for plants and people. It forces them to adapt and grow in good ways. Too much stress is strain, which weakens the system. This was Shigo's take, as well as that of medical science. So I voted 50/50, though climbing is 90% fun for me (I rarely do big removals anymore)

"previously topped maples that require thinning and overgrown ornamentals really get me worked up. When I get better maybe I'll see it different."

You will get less worked up as you get used to repairing neglected trees. Remember, the results are what counts, and the trees take time. :)

SRT, Woodchux if so, why are you blokes relaxed doing this line of work?

becasue the rest of my life is a maelstrom of chaos, you have no idea. Grabbing my gear and rec or work climbing or doing dangerous jobs, relaxes me like you would not believe. I do EXCEEDINGLY well when the :censored: is hitting the fan, but not very well in day to day living etc.

i cant explain it.

Physically stressful, which is good -- mentally relaxing... or rather, peaceful. That's for pruning and deadwooding which almost a solitary discipline.

Like Small Wood, removals are more stressfull because things have to happen faster and you have to be super vigilant about what's going on at ground level.

When I was into competitive shooting, the range and its constant gunfire was the most peaceful place I knew... now it's in a big tree at yelling distance height or better.

I voted 50/50 but you could get me to climb a tree almost any time, the bigger and older the better.

Very relaxed today!

Deadwooded and limbed up 4 Oaks and 3 Maples today. I also got to try out new gear, knots and techniques I learned here at Arbosite. What a great day!!!

normaly its 50/50 but

but my new job sucks and is nothing but stress. we have a ground crew of 10 illegals and not 1 can run a rope every thing is rush rush rush. my boss is a low bidding a-hole and very cheep and disrespectful. he does not give x-mass bonus. all the ropes are trash. we have 50+ saws and not 1 good bar/chain. safety is out the window. he wants stumps cut flush 2 the ground. no flat file. 2 broken t wrenches so we use that with an adj wrench. the guys think sharpening a chain means cut the raker's off. owner knows nothing about trees. always taking down nice healthy large removals at a price lower than any other company around.that is most likely why work is plentiful. i do like his trucks and grinder brand new rj 90 4x4:clap: ,new 65ft altec bkt international diesel:clap:2 new huge chip trucks:cry: 2 newer but beat 250 bb chippers:dizzy: and 1 22ton crane:clap: i think he buys cheep towing recovery eye n eye straps :monkey: i realy need a new local fair paying job asap with a crane bkt truck and good equipment would be nice but with winter here its not looking real good. do u think in looking 4 2 much? let me know.

Back