Tree Damage From Crop Spraying

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Furthermore, "new growth" is no indication of plant recovery. In fact, just the opposite since the synthetic auxin intentionally forces new growth and the result is the tree/plant/weed grows itself to death.
Not only that, but suffering a season without healthy properly functioning mature leaves to create energy reserves, there won't be any in store next spring for new growth then either. And, thus, the cycle will continue until the tree finally dies of starvation.

View attachment 996362
Murder.

Did you actually type this?
Well done if you did - finally useful information, a direct answer to a direct question, and well written.
:clap:
I guess I won't put you back on ignore just yet.
Typical insults from you but heck have at it.
I will not lower myself to that level since God made me short enough I answered a question without simply posting some garbage found online as some prefer to do. I have been very clear I prefer REAL LIFE experience. I grew up keeping my mouth shut and my ears open, So have my 3 sons as well as my beautiful ex-wife. Education is learned from experience and listening not google

I have no reason to argue and that is fine we will disagree. I will say I do not see any Walter and Ace's in there? If you do not want to believe what I say then that is fine. You could call Evans or Piedmonts. Chances are the folks we dealt with 40 years ago are sadly passed. I know I got 300 pepper plants from them last week and the fine lady I spoke with sounded to be of a bit of a older age.
Wasn't trying to disagree, just that I've been doing my own growing, almost 60 years now, and those are the varieties over the last 5-10 years.

I'd not tried Walter or Ace but just looked those up, semi-determinate and determinate. Probably best for Your commercial growing as fruit ripens more as a bunch/close to same time. Might be worth a look at.

Only determinate I'm growing now is Rutgers. Those are good when I use 5-gal buckets as they don't get too big. I grow a wide variety so I can have fresh fruit early and throughout the growing season.

I can a lot and grow several paste varieties but also can the bigger slicers. It's good when I'm canning not everything gets ripe at once, as it takes time to boil down a sauce, and I hate to waste fruit that I can't process before it spoils. I have two large old Mirromatic canners and have those doing a tag team when I'm at full capacity. Still limiting factor for me is boiling down and concentrating the sauce.

I'm fond of the big slicers as BLTs are one of my favorites with homegrown oak leaf lettuce.

As I said we can have different opinions and that is GREAT, :) I truly mean that with ZERO sarcasm. I will say that every variety we raised in my lifetime was a indeterminate if not by classification by physical growth. I have not raised tomatoes for 60 years such as you but my grandfather started raising for Heinz when the factory was built about 100 years ago. I think it was around 1920 He was here for the start being born in 1898. He passed in 1988. We (family) raised tomatoes and pickles for them for years. My father started working for them in 1957 (yes i know today that is a conflict of interest) By around 1960 he was head of tomato operations. I used to have a picture of him standing over the huge flume belts of fruit coming in. In those days you still brought the fruit in on "hayracks" that were pyramids of 1/2 bushel baskets. I still have his last rack but she is getting tough. We stopped raising for them around about 1970. In about 1982 they forced out the migrants and force dall growers to go to machines. That eliminated all small growers. I started working for Heinz in 1991 just as my father was getting ready to retire after almost 35 years. I was coming in as he was leaving and he was not happy about it although very little made him happy. I left shortly when they screwed all the growers in 1991 although some 31 years later I maybe going back

I need to add that I would love to be able to have my father comment on the subject as he had a lifetime of experience in the "field" He passed in May 2017 and left with more knowledge in the field than any man I know. He used to have to go to Georgia and Alabama in the spring to supervise the plant growing fields where they would start the plants to be pulled and planted up here. If he was still on earth he could give us all an education. I wish I had 10% of the knowledge a one room school house kid had

We're not talking about all the other evil things in the world... just those that pertain to herbicide volatilization.
Your diversionary tactics won't work here, so you may as well give it up.
no matter what type of chemicals are utilized by atomization there is always volatilization

HOW???
:confused:
I came right out and said that to him on the phone yesterday, "Can you please stop spraying that area of the field???"
Not possible.
To his face I asked him about contacting the property owner and asking if he would consider putting cattle in there, like he used to have, or just bush-hogging it. He said he won't go for that.
It's all about making the most $$ per acre and apparently he's doing well with the soybeans and corn.

That's when I started searching "search & desist orders."
Take it to Court go file a complaint.

no matter what type of chemicals are utilized by atomization there is always volatilization
Even PCBs, large organic molecules, have a vapor pressure, and are volatilized on warm days from contaminated river banks.
HOW???
I came right out and said that to him on the phone yesterday, "Can you please stop spraying that area of the field???"
Not possible.
To his face I asked him about contacting the property owner and asking if he would consider putting cattle in there, like he used to have, or just bush-hogging it. He said he won't go for that.
It's all about making the most $$ per acre and apparently he's doing well with the soybeans and corn.

I bet them big sprayer tires are hard to fix and expensive...........

HOW???
Not possible.

Have you contacted the property owner? I didn't go back through and look to see if you mentioned that.

No. I don't know them that well so I googled.
They are both retired. One has a horticultural background and worked, as I recall, for something like city planning.
The other one was a prosecutor for the district attys. office in Nashville.
With that information, I'm not sure what side of the fence they would be on, but my gut feeling tells me neither would be sympathetic to my situation - especially if it involves $.
No one is supposed to be above the law .

No. I don't know them that well so I googled.
They are both retired. One has a horticultural background and worked, as I recall, for something like city planning.
The other one was a prosecutor for the district attys. office in Nashville.
With that information, I'm not sure what side of the fence they would be on, but my gut feeling tells me neither would be sympathetic to my situation - especially if it involves $.
I'd contact them and at least let them know what's going on and the issues your having. Very possible that the farmer hasn't even contacted them for one reason or another. If you do talk to them I would casually mention litigation but you don't want to go that route if you don't have to.

Back