Tree Damage From Crop Spraying

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That comment relates to how quickly they absorb the herbicide and translocate it within their system. That has nothing to do with the recovery, as hindered by heat stress or it's relief by keeping the plants watered. I know it is your nature to think that whatever I say is inherently wrong and needs constant vigilance and reinforcement to keep believing, but your other experts recommended watering, too. Nothing in the statement you quoted refers to recovery treatments, only to the relative effects of the herbicide on different portions of the tree population.

Let's look at this from a different perspective: It's hot, and your very sick trees are thirsty. Their botanical processes to make more energy have been disrupted, and their cellular processes are only marginally working.
Do they get chicken soup, or withering doses of "make it on your own"?

The fact that the young trees die quicker and easier doesn't mean that the treatment regimen is any different. Had you asked me which plants were the most suceptible to death, having assassinated many trees with herbicides, I would have told you that the biggest trees are the hardest to kill. Conversely, the youngest are very much the easiest.

You would also be expected to pay for an appraisal arborist's report. My understanding is that they don't work cheap, either. Since you would be paying them for the service, it doesn't matter whether they are in your county or not. Just how much you are willing to pay, and how much they are willing to do it for.

Absolutely true. In the absence of water, no translocation within the plant will occur.

By all means, stop watering. I'll recant all my previous comments to that effect, and you will no longer have any conflict as to my comments vs your own thoughts on the topic.

By the way: your herbicides were translocated from the foliage to the roots. Nothing you can do will prevent the roots from sending stuff up the tree to the foliage except vascular death.

The fact that the young trees die quicker and easier doesn't mean that the treatment regimen is any different. Had you asked me which plants were the most suceptible to death, having assassinated many trees with herbicides, I would have told you that the biggest trees are the hardest to kill. Conversely, the youngest are very much the easiest.
Excellent post. Of course younger ones are easier to kill they are growing and have much less root structure. Trees are plants just like any weed. It is always easier to kill them at the earliest stage

So, it's entirely possible that the trees aren't even able to take up any of the water being applied.

No. I'd explain further, but you keep wanting me to say less.
It's much easier, you see, to draw your own conclusions when they are not adverse to the other information available.

Curious what you mean Atrazine is gone Bill.
I did not have time to accurately reply this morning before leaving. It appears some folks have posted about residual carryover in the soil from 2-4-D and Glyphosate. I am not all that interested in debating the subject as there is no way that I will agree with those that are scared of that. They have their beliefs and I go by science and personal experience. I would appreciate thos ethat believe it to actually read what I am going to say.

Throughout the history of farming we have mostly relied on a pre-emergence herbicide in corn and then hit it with 2-4-D for post emergence of broadleafs. For years the staple chemical used on corn pre-emergence was atrazine in some form. The problem was it had HUGE carryover issues in the soil for next years beans.

Then some would use Banvel (dicamba) post emergence. The issue was it had HUGE vapor drift issues for nearby beans.

Then Monsanto developed Roundup (Glyphosate) which was a CONTACT KILLER it killed everything it contacted. It was great as a burndown for no till and was a godsent on volunteer corn in beans when used with a weed wiper. Next came a bean seed that was resistant to Glyphosate. That was excellent but still killed corn.

Now at this point does anyone, anyone remember having any issues with spraying glyphosate on beans one year and it killing the corn the next year?????????? I sure do not. That is because it is a contact killer. Of course later came glyphosate resistant corn, alfalfa, and others. The point is it started with ONLY beans and had zero effect on the next years non-resistant crop. That is science and history.

Now back to the old staple of 2-4-D there were billions, yes billions of gallons of it sprayed on corn over the years. Does anyone, anyone remember having any issues with spraying 2-4-D on corn one year and it killing the beans the next year?????????? I sure do not. That is because it is a contact killer. Of course later came 2-4-D resistant beans. The point is it started with ONLY corn (grasses) and had zero effect on the next years non-resistant crop. That is science and history.

Now in regards to Atrazine, does anyone remember spraying it on corn one year and having the residual carryover to next years beans? I sure bet so. It did. That is science and history

I am watering the trees because the agent suggested it. It's documented.
He also suggested fertilizing them and I know for a fact that was bad advice and I refuse to do that.
Hypocrisy anyone???????? She only takes the advice from an "EXPERT" when she agrees with that piece of advice. It is a "pick and choose a la carte"

I still think it is funny no one saw what was in the pictures I posted. Possibly they did and realized the crap they have spewed is just that crap. Contact is contact!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah Science Mr. White...........

Oust is the one that drifted into your crop and killed plants. It's pretty bad about translocating in the soil; water carries it down hill. The Esplanade is just a really good pre-emergent.

Is that all the information that you got from them? They should have reported to you gallons of mix used on that site and what the mixture strength was. This would tell you whether they were grossly over-dosing that facility to get good control.

I don't use Oust too much, because it moves in the soil too much and doesn't persist nearly as long as I prefer. They are covering for that weakness by adding a non-turf pre-emergent that presumably does a really good job of persisting in the soil. Don't be surprised if you have crop declining to germinate in those areas next year.

After thought: I have used the Esplanade pre-emergent under a different brand name: Specticle. Same stuff, but different brand. It's OMG expensive, though. I thought it far too expensive for continued use, as the common lawn preemergents were about 1/5th as expensive and almost as good. The Specticle/Esplanade controls the industrial weed collection a bit better too, and isn't labeled for turf application.
It wasn't drift but runoff from the sprayed area. The guy I spoke to gave the rates they used. (Rate per acre) Now whether the actual person spraying put down more than he should have I don't know. It's only about a 4-5 foot wide area so I'll just refrain from planting in there next year.

"Drift" is movement of the herbicide from the target area, whether in soil or water. I'll certainly admit that the most common usage is associated with air droplets and vapor. I should perhaps have said translocation, leaching, or diffusion.

Yes, I knew it ran downhill with the water, 'cause I have done it myself with that particular herbicide. ALL the soil sterilants are translocated by water; some are much worse about it than others. In my experience, Oust is one of the worst.

... and it really bothers you when it comes from a strong-willed woman.
You appear to be one of those men who feel their masculinity threatened when a woman doesn't kowtow to their every word.

Didn't your dad ever teach you it's not nice to pick on girls? ... or, that women are always right? :laughing:

So which is it? You want preferential treatment or not?
Sadly, I cannot offer any preferential treatment for women. I'm an equal opportunity commenter.

Didn't your dad ever teach you it's not nice to pick on girls? ... or, that women are always right? :laughing:
You maam are so dense you do not even have a clue what that expression means nor its origin. It is so sad that you made it to the age you did without gaining some knowledge and tact

You maam are so dense you do not even have a clue what that expression means nor its origin. It is so sad that you made it to the age you did without gaining some knowledge and tact

She knows she is being rude. She has no apologies, and makes light of it when the facts are forced upon her.
So far as I am aware, she has never apologized for any measure of being wrong.

She knows she is being rude. She has no apologies, and makes light of it when the facts are forced upon her.
So far as I am aware, she has never apologized for any measure of being wrong.
I agree. I pointed out her rudeness and rush to judgment early on in the thread. She replied with something to the effect of "get out of my way". I am a FIRM believer in personal knowledge gained from REAL LIFE experience. That is what this site was created on many years ago. You, many others, and myself have tried to help her with actual real life experience and she ignores anything that does not fit her whim of the moment from what she read on the internet. Now I am a simple man and I see things pretty simply. The majority of folks change their undies once maybe twice a day. She changes her mind and focus oooohh about 10 times that often

I've just sent you a PM.
I know what you're up to and I will report you to the moderators and Admin if you continue..
You do that and just see how far it gets ya :)
If you would SLOW DOWN and read you would know the man is a moderator. Since you have called about everyone else ya otta call Chostbusters now.

Well I am off to go kill some flowers, trees and grass with glyphosate and maybe a dash of 2-4-D. The sprayer is loaded and ready to go

Yard inspection today...
Mimosa looking bad after blooming... branch tips are dying back

View attachment 1000605

Dogwood not too good either...
View attachment 1000606
Just by looking at pics is hard to tell the exact condition of them. It's been what over 2 months since the incident occurred? I personally think if they were going to die their condition would be a lot worse.

Just by looking at pics is hard to tell the exact condition of them. It's been what over 2 months since the incident occurred? I personally think if they were going to die their condition would be a lot worse.
Isn't science great! Some just do not get it

Back