Tree firewood species identification

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup it isTulip huh.
Cut a lot of it in my day, have quite a lot of it around this area, some of the larger trees we have. Sadly it's soft and makes crap firewood, light as a feather when dry. Straight grain splits easy, rots fast. Better than Cotton wood or Basswood though. It's probably going to be one of the more dominant species with all the ash gone, which was about my favorite firewood.

Cut a lot of it in my day, have quite a lot of it around this area, some of the larger trees we have. Sadly it's soft and makes crap firewood, light as a feather when dry. Straight grain splits easy, rots fast. Better than Cotton wood or Basswood though. It's probably going to be one of the more dominant species with all the ash gone, which was about my favorite firewood.
Locust is my Favorite fire wood more btu than oak.

It’s definitely a poplar tree. Sometimes called a tulip poplar or a yellow poplar. I’ve milled thousands of them over the years. When it seasons it will make for a great fall and late spring wood to burn and will be much lighter. It’s a relatively fast burning wood. The green hue will quickly turn tan to brown when exposed to the outside world. Sometimes there is even purple and black heartwood.
So what do you or your customers do with the lumber? It's so light when it dries that I just assume it's not very strong.
I believe in this area they were used to make peach crates because this part of NJ used to be know for peaches.

Latest posts

Back