Tree identification help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm. Doesn't look like cherry to me, but I'll admit I have a tough time with this.

I'm leaning towards poplars....only the limbs are throwing me off.

Bark is white higher up. I was thinking in birch family but can't find anything in identification books to confirm. Someone said cotton tree but I've never seen suck an animal in NE pa..

As already stated by a few of us, it's is most definitely a poplar, especially seeing as you are in northeast PA. Your forests with be very close to the ones I work with here in Southern Ontario. You can't just rely on bark for id. Any tree id book should have a key to guide you through the identification process. Not to beat a dead horse, but it is a poplar lol.

Ok, its a poplar. White poplar also know as silver or silverleaf poplar. Its a real light soft wood. Catkins and leaf make me 100% sure. Mystery solved after 15 years looking at it and wondering. I was fooled because we have so much tulip poplar in this area I just see that as poplar. Thanks for expanding my thought process.

Latest posts

Back