Tree identification reference help...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
beentown

beentown

ArboristSite Operative
Looking for the best tree ID book around. I am in OH if that helps narrow it down. One with summer/winter ID. Hopefully with good pictures, not illustrations.

With leaves on I am excellent ;)

I have 120 acres of woods that was cut last spring. They left a lot of large wood and I would like to make use of it.

Need to sort what is going into the OWB or in my smoker. I have so much I will give a bunch away to friends with OWB.

Cherry, hickory and sugar maple gets cut into smaller splits for my smoker while oak, locust, hedge and any other hardwood gets cut for the OWB's.

Soft woods get left. Maybe cut if it is in a trail.

ATH

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
First:: if you didn't have a forester out before the harvest (you should have to get the most out if it and take the best care of the woods...), have one out now. They can help guide the management of the woods into the future. They will also help you get started with tree ID. Find a forester here: www.osafdirectory.com. State Service Foresters (and possibly Industry Foresters) help for free...Private Consulting foresters can by more involved in the management but will have to charge.

As far as books: 101 Trees of Indiana is good...and will overlap with all of Ohio. I think it shows bark... Woody Plants in Winter is good with twigs but not bark. There just aren't too many I know of that have good bark pictures...that is hard to capture for print and feel like you can really give the reader something useful.

Online:
dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/fact sheets.cfm
forestry.ohiodnr.gov/trees
www.oplin.org/tree

Latest posts