Tree Identification

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mswabbie

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have been cutting down Ash Trees for Saw Logs and Firewood. I cut down a tree that I thought was Ash but when I cut into it the Heartwood was
red and purple. The Sap Wood is white and the bark looks like Ash. Is this just a variety of Ash or another type of tree.
Thanks For You Help

It is probably a walnut, but walnut heartwood is kind of brown in color.

different kinds of ash

There are different spieces of ash ...green, blue,black etc. The secert is in the bud shape. :Eye: :Eye:

Depending on what minerals were in the soil where that tree grew, it could very well be an ash and still have red/purple colored heartwood. Example, I've seen poplar heartwood everything from black, to green, to blueish, to red... again depends a lot on where it is growing.

Boxelder as a shoot-from-the-hip guess. The inside of this wood is blood-red / purplish, fading to a darkish brown in minutes upon exposure to oxygen. sapwood is white. I cut down a bunch of them today. Pretty wood.

I was cutting ash in the same yard. Coincidence??? Boxelder leaves kinda resemble ash leaves. Boxelder is much softer than ash. They are not related, other than they are both trees.

Here's a few pics I took today.

Pic 1 is, well, you look at it.

Pic 2 I swung an axe to open it up. pretty.

Pic 3 are the leaves side-by-side. Left is the boxelder leaves (and winged seed), right is ash.

Is this the stuff you cut into, Mswabbie?

Up here the proper common name is Manitoba Maple. It has the same sugar content as Sugar Maple (about 30 gals sap to one of syrup). Just call it Acer negundo and it will be known world wide.

Thanks Dr Bob. Acer negundo. Gives an exotic sound to a common 'weed' tree. I personally like the specie, but around here people rate it alongside mulberry and sumac.

The first time I saw the wood used as 'lumber' was in pallets. Having milled some, I find is warps, splits, checks and shrinks terribly. Too bad, because it's one of the more exotic looking domestic woods around. I think it would just take some special curing to keep it stable until dry.

Here in PA we call it both ashleaf maple or boxelder, depends on what part of PA you come from. As Dr Bob pointed out, its acer negundo. It's a weed tree most places here in PA, invasive, and rarely strait. Grows mostly along streams and wet areas. My Dad's farm is full of it, every 4th tree. From a woodworking perspective, the wood is weak, splits and twists up when you try and dry it, but yes is very pretty with that reddish heart. That reddish middle varies though, and often does not get as pretty or as full as the pics you sent. Another thing, when you dry the wood and work it, that red stain fades in sunlight unless you treat the wood correctly. One mans trash is another mans treasure though, I have heard of woodworkers (mostly turners, bowls etc) in other parts of the country willing to pay big bucks for stuff with lots of red in the wood like your pics. Again, around here its just another junky soft maple, not even great firewood.

Tree Machine said:
Here's a few pics I took today.

Pic 1 is, well, you look at it.

Pic 2 I swung an axe to open it up. pretty.

Pic 3 are the leaves side-by-side. Left is the boxelder leaves (and winged seed), right is ash.

Is this the stuff you cut into, Mswabbie?

It sure is. It looks exactly like the wood I split. I was about 20" in diameter, is very light and splits very easily.

Thank You, Your pictures look right on.

Thanks

The Canadians have selected some very attractive very upright and seedless varieties, plus some varigated leaf varieties. Can't tell you the names right off, but I think one is Baron.

You, Bob, are so cool. Will you dig us up a link on that?

Swabbie, so glad we could help out. A successful identifcation mission was had by all :cool:

That was fun

Hey I've got one. Does anyone know what this one is. It has a pretty distinctive leaf. For ONE BILLION DOLLARS, name the specie, genus and provide a Google link.

Ready....

GO!

Whoops, I need to give ya the pics, don't I ?

OK 1) is the compound palmate leaf 2) the trunk bark and 3) the inner crown structure.

Tree Machine said:
Whoops, I need to give ya the pics, don't I ?

OK 1) is the compound palmate leaf 2) the trunk bark and 3) the inner crown structure.
...off the top of my head without my tree books it looks like a horsechestnut, but the leaves are a little too rounded, and that bark looks a little too smooth. Maybe a variety of horsechestnut? Another clue, along with Maples, Ashes and Dogwood, would be that Horsechesnut has opposite venation, while most trees have alternate. (the leaves and branches are in pairs opposite one another). A little trick I remember from dendrology class... "MAD Cap Horse", which stands for Maple Ash Dogwood, caprofoliacaea and Horsechesnut. They all have opposite venation, just about everything else has alternate. So when you're looking at a tree, and the leaves and branches are all opposite, you can narrow it down real quick. Boxelder (a maple) and Ash look slightly similar, but not really so you can distinguish between the opposite venation guys right away.

I love dendro

Thanks, Woodshop. The tree has never produced any fruit, nut, seed, etc. It has clearly been brought in as I have never seen another one around here like it. I'm very curious to know what it is.

Doctor Bob....?
attachment_23459.php

Leaves look to be simple and 5 in number, not compound and palmate... so I'll venture a guess in Magnolia acuminata the Cucumbertree Magnolia. Should be in bloom now, but they're way up there, and not so showy as other Mags...

Back