Tree leaning on my shed. What to do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler310

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I moved into my house three years ago and there are two large pine trees in the back yard. One of them is leaning on my shed and I'm worried it may gradually put more and more weight on it. I want to keep both the shed and the tree. Is there any way I can support the tree to prevent it from crushing my shed? Pics attached. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 167
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    846 KB · Views: 181
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    925.8 KB · Views: 146
I like the shed and the trees. It it's starting to deform the roof, I'd get a carpenter to notch the over hang back, to an inch or so of the wall. That would give you years of growth before it touches again. I didn't ask the obvious, can you slide the shed over a couple feet. If it's on a slab build a box frame and mix enough sackrete to extend the slab, Joe.

Keep the tree or keep the shed but I don't think you are going to be able to keep both. It will be a gamble at best if you want both to survive long term.

Thanks for your comments. Yes the shed is on a slab so I may be able to move it a little as long as I don't move closer to the property line.

I just cut a notch out of the roof shingles to creat a small space between the tree and the roof so I can track how fast it is moving (pic attached). Instead of just cutting it down I'm thinking of at least making an effort to save it by putting in braces to support the trunk attached to the tree using steel TABs like they use in tree houses as I heard this is less harmful to the tree.

I suppose I should hire a pro to do something like this. Any recommendations in the Los Angeles area? Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    717.2 KB · Views: 28
Not an arborist, but would weight reduction, if practicable, lift the trunk off the shed for a few years.

If it were my shed I'd simply notch the roof all the way back to the wall, and caulk it well and form the drip edge (the piece of metal with the lip) to fit. As already pointed out, that option will be good for many years. Your shingle trim is a good start, as you say it will tell you about how long a roof notch would suffice.

That tree is a disaster waiting to happen
Did anyone notice the power lines intertwined in the tree branches, or the fact that it appears to be originating on the neighbors yard - and the fence was built around the tree?
tree2_zps0y9kgvc6.jpg

tree1_zpsrbfjk6gg.jpg

Latest posts

Back