Tree picking from sides of roads

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No permission was given, just nobody stopped them. And yes, while wood was already on the ground, it wasn't all cut to easy to load sizes. There were plenty of guys running saws...the ones that didn't get there quick enough to get the easy stuff.

Just remember because everyone else is doing it doesn't make it right.

(But officer, everyone else was doing it ......... Yeah, but you were the one who got caught!)

Just remember because everyone else is doing it doesn't make it right.

(But officer, everyone else was doing it ......... Yeah, but you were the one who got caught!)

Monkey see monkey do - the cops and rangers were right there along side everyone else. So what I am trying to say is, in my neck of the woods, it's totally accepted.

Having worked as a "ranger" I prefer to cut on my friends' private property with their blessing. The competition is less (none) and the rules are fewer.

Make sure you know where you are and what ownership land is under. That's the key.

Monkey see monkey do - the cops and rangers were right there along side everyone else. So what I am trying to say is, in my neck of the woods, it's totally accepted.

Accepted and legal are two different things. Around here most people speed on the highways, including cops and county workers, that doesn't mean that some people don't get speeding tickets!

If it's not yours it's someone elses, and if they want to let it rot they can. Just because you want free firewood doesn't give you any special rights.

Around here you wouldn't get a ticket from the cops but you could get in trouble from DOT.

I guess they are liable for anyone who could get hurt on the right of way if they were cutting.

However, if I were on a backroad and there was a downed tree in the right of way, I'd take it. Just don't stop on a major highway.

That is some terrible advice right there. An easy way to find yourself looking down the wrong end of a shot gun.... on a "back road"........ with nobody else around......

I don't know what is wrong with folks these days.

Hoping you sir, stay away from my "back road" and my trees which line it.

happy cutting

Accepted and legal are two different things. Around here most people speed on the highways, including cops and county workers, that doesn't mean that some people don't get speeding tickets!

If it's not yours it's someone elses, and if they want to let it rot they can. Just because you want free firewood doesn't give you any special rights.

It's not a special right when it's on state property and is fully acceptable behavior by all - including the ones who make and enforce the rules. In fact they were giving verbal permission to anyone who stopped by. I had plenty of places to get free firewood when that was going on and passed on it. Just stating how things work around here when there were literally 1000's of cords of oak laying all around the state woods.

Wow. Definitely not accepted in this neck of the woods. Cutting wood off the "right away" is a good way to get shot or ticketed. IMO neither is worth a few extra sticks.

I called one time after driving down the Western Ky Parkway and seeing all kinds of wood on the side for about 10 miles on both sides. The state road department told me No it is the land owners and I needed to ask them for the wood. Went thur a couple days later and seen the road department picking the wood up with loaders. So I called back and they said the state has the right to keep it safe for the drivers on the highway. I asked where is it going and see if I could go there and get some. He said no the wood is being burned up at a landfill. I said a few choice words and hung up!

I called one time after driving down the Western Ky Parkway and seeing all kinds of wood on the side for about 10 miles on both sides. The state road department told me No it is the land owners and I needed to ask them for the wood. Went thur a couple days later and seen the road department picking the wood up with loaders. So I called back and they said the state has the right to keep it safe for the drivers on the highway. I asked where is it going and see if I could go there and get some. He said no the wood is being burned up at a landfill. I said a few choice words and hung up!

Lawyers, insurance, and fear of litigation are paralyzing society.

Just find out who the landowners are that the wood is on and make sure you get permission to take the wood. I have asked permission and never got turned down yet to get wood.

Just find out who the landowners are that the wood is on and make sure you get permission to take the wood. I have asked permission and never got turned down yet to get wood.

Hey! According to the consensus here, you are out chasing girls!

If I'm thinking of the right road, isn't some of that Newark Watershed Property? I know some of that land around the 4 mi. marker is privately owned.

Am I in the right place?

I just wish I had TIME to go a scrounging!! :msp_sad:

Mike

Correct, the right place. Wasn't near the privately owned area, was on clearly marked state property.

Those laws are a cloudy issue when stopping along highways in Pennsylvania. You are aloud to stop and hunt along state right of ways, which mean highways. You have to leave a hunting item visable in the vehicle. As far as cutting wood, I wouldn't go in the median and cut wood. I have cut wood along state 4 lanes and not interstates many times. No the land doesn't belong to individuals because its been bought as eminent domain. I know because I lived in a spot where a highway went through.

But there are signs on the interstates that clearly say emergency stopping only.

flhx please dont shoot anyone with rock salt these days real rounds are gonna fly back

Around here the County workers usually leave any wind or dead falls bucked up in lengths along the road in piles. They refer to it as "tax payers wood". If it stays there too long they will pick it up so it isn't a hazard.

flhx please dont shoot anyone with rock salt these days real rounds are gonna fly back

Just kidding on the rock salt.

But something to think about:

I'm a single older lady living alone out in the boonies on one of those back country roads. No one knows your here. Your here pilfering from my property. I have no idea what else you may have on your mind.

I also have a variety of firearms n I'm very proficient in their use. I fire a warning shot to get your attention. You pull a pistol or revolver with the intention of shooting me. What do you think the outcome is going to be?

Just kidding on the rock salt.

But something to think about:

I'm a single older lady living alone out in the boonies on one of those back country roads. No one knows your here. Your here pilfering from my property. I have no idea what else you may have on your mind.

I also have a variety of firearms n I'm very proficient in their use. I fire a warning shot to get your attention. You pull a pistol or revolver with the intention of shooting me. What do you think the outcome is going to be?

Expensive.

Latest posts

Back