Tree Removal and hillside water

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gina Nardico

Reaction score
I need advice. I live in a 7 unit condo setting with underground parking. We
have 4 matured trees on our east side. We live on a slight hillside. We are
currently having flooding problems in our underground parking. A dispute has
arose in the removal of 4 trees. My concern is if these trees are removed, will
we have an increased problem with the water run off from the hill. I am looking
for sound advice and statements, so that I can attempt to convice the other
homeowners not to cut down our beautiful trees. Please advise on water retention
in respect to tree removal.
Thank you. Gina.

Without observing the site, I would guess that the trees would help with soil retention and water absorption in most cases. Your best bet is to hire a consulting arborist to come out and give you a written opinion on advantages/disadvantages. You can find the local Consulting Arborists for your area at
HTTP://.ASCA-CONSULTANTS.ORG/

It will probably cost about $100 or so for a consultant. But divided by 7, that's less than $15 per household! Money well spent when deciding the fate of your property!

If the argument is being made that the trees are causing or making the flooding worse I'd call that BS myself. I can't say I've ever seen a tree cause such a problem. Removing the trees may make folks feel better..they've "done something" but if anything whatever water the trees were absorbing or the mulch/leaves under them were holding will now join the flood. Getting somebody that understands grading to look over the site makes more sense, maybe regrading to direct water away from the problem area or digging a swale ( a shallow ditch) to either hold some water or drain it away as needed?

The swale, french drains and other options to redirect water floww away from the structure will definately help. Also use of sump pumps and checking to see that drain tiles are intack.

The only possible way the trees could be involved is if the drain tile was damamged and roots have filled up the pipes. Even if the trees were removed then the tiles would still need repair.

Back