tree rigging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawscavenger

Reaction score
I have to fall 3 trees next month and I live in town. I plan on renting a stick lift to limb them in the tree. I need some advice on the proper methods of securing the branches to the trunk when cutting so they wont fall to the ground. Any advice would be greatly appreciated by me as well as my neighbors.:chainsaw:

No doubt, some of the posts you may get will be fairly brutal. The bottom line is that we all share the concern for each other's safety and for the safety of the new people to this field. This is a profession (and to some a hobby) that can hurt you (maybe even kill you) and do great amounts of property damage with just a small slip or missed cut.

If this type of work interests you, I encourage you to seek a professional to mentor you as you learn. Tree work can be "fun" and rewarding, but it is HARD, DANGEROUS work. There is a reason that it is considered "The World's Second Most Dangerous Job".

I wish you luck in finding the right person to learn from. Let us know how it goes.....

advice

I'm no pro but I'm also no rookie when it comes to running saws. I've been operating chainsaws for about 15 years, but I've never had to limb out a tree while it was standing. I asked for advice on how to do that. If you don't have any advice directly related to that, please don't reply.

I'm no pro but I'm also no rookie when it comes to running saws. I've been operating chainsaws for about 15 years, but I've never had to limb out a tree while it was standing. I asked for advice on how to do that. If you don't have any advice directly related to that, please don't reply.

wrong answer

Homeowner Tree Climbing Advice

One of the most common questions asked on Arborist Site goes something like this : What equipment do I need to buy and what techniques do I use to climb and cut a tree on my property ? I had a tree service come out and look at the trees but they wanted $2000.00 ( or $500.00 or any other figure you can think of ) , so I've decided to cut them myself.

There have been hundreds , if not thousands of this type of question asked on this site. Some of the home owners listen to the advice they receive, some don't.

While perusing some old posts on the site I ran across this post about Barber Chairs. Read it and pay particular attention to the desciption of what and when it goes bad while cutting in the tree.

Tree Machine is the original poster.

Quote " Imagine if this were up in the air, you're fliplined into a leaning top and you're thinking, "Ahh, no-brainer. Cut here, it falls there." But you're tied into it and as you sink your chainsaw into the back cut, you hear that rifle crack and in a fraction of a second the top barbers, catching you in the gut. It hinges up, digging in deep under your sternum, through to your spine. In the next fraction of that same second you notice that in the mayhem your chainsaw has severed your right leg, but it concerns you not because your flipline has your lower body (minus a leg) held captive, so your upper torso is ripped from your lower half and catapulted into the neighbor's pool. Amidst this (we're now into 2nd second) your intestines have unfurled and although it is entirely debatable where your intestines will snap, or whether they will at all and leave your head and torso hanging far beneath your lower torso, as stated earlier, you were flung with such force as to effect a swan dive into the crystal blue water. Let's call this a 'half swan'.

So you bloodied up the neighbor's pool. You got guts hanging down through the lower limbs of the tree, you're still (partially) aloft, your stupid azz is still fliplined in and saw still running at idle. Most definitely the worst 5 seconds of your life, but your concerns are already on to other things because YOU'RE DEAD.

If you are inwardly focussed, you new concern might be, "Wow, pearly gates. Cool! I wonder if the beer is actually better in Heaven?" If you're an outwardly focussed person, you might think, "Bummer, someone's gotta clean up that mess AND one of my buddys has gotta finish the treejob." EndQuote

Of course , you were going to rent a lift. So none of this applies to you, right ?

Wrong ! If you have never run a chainsaw in a tree, you are just as green as any first day rookie. And just as dangerous.

And as far as telling a bunch of Arborists what they can or can't post on their site..... see how far that get's you !

Trepaarboles gave you a contact in your area.

USE IT.
THAT'S THE BEST ADVICE YOU'RE GONNA GET !

All I can say is: I warned you!

I doubt you will find any reputable guys on this site that will give you instruction via forum posts! We are all concerned with safety, our own and each other's. And those of us that carry insurance have heard the liability speech from our agents or adjusters enough to know that blindly giving ANY advice opens us to personal liability. Do yourself a favor and find someone local to help you, whether it be safely putting them on the ground for you or giving you one-on-one personal training to better prepare you for your task.

I can't imagine someone trying to remove rock from their yard asking "how much dynamite should I use and how big of a hole should I drill?" There's not a lot of difference in your request!

Many of us have lost close friends to accidents in this work. Despite the tone here sometimes, I think we all cherish the fragility of life and how close to the edge this job is.

What I do is hang a block on a sturdy limb, then run a bull rope from the branch you are cutting, through the block, and down to the ground where a second person is holding the rope.
I try to cut manageable pieces that the ground man can easily lift if they get hung up. Thirty or forty pound pieces work nicely.
Don't be tempted to rig off the lift, or tie any ropes to the lift.
There is a lot that can go wrong, as others have mentioned. Some common mistakes include: getting knocked out of the lift, tipping the lift over, damaging the lift with falling limbs, cutting your self with the saw, the tree hitting the lift and knocking it over, another vehicle hitting the lift, dropping a tool on the groundman, dropping a branch on the groundman, hitting a power line, and thousands of others.

good morning glad to see all arborist here help you call one or just thinking you could call James the narcoleptic tree cutter ??have a safe day tom trees

Have you ever gotten a DUI? Hell, if you have a pickup truck, a few saws & a couple buddies you`ll be fine.........Just ask Blakesmaster, better yet just call em he can do any removal & he underbids!!!!

LXT..........

I have to fall 3 trees next month and I live in town. I plan on renting a stick lift to limb them in the tree. I need some advice on the proper methods of securing the branches to the trunk when cutting so they wont fall to the ground. Any advice would be greatly appreciated by me as well as my neighbors.:chainsaw:

Why do you have to fall these trees? What do you mean when you say you "live in town"? Can you take some pictures of the trees and post the pictures here?

good morning glad to see all arborist here help you call one or just thinking you could call James the narcoleptic tree cutter ??have a safe day tom trees

tom, that's the first time i have seen you use punctuation! i came to assume that you text a lot. however, it get real cryptic sometimes. to the point that i'm not sure what you're saying!:) i mean this in good humor, not a slam. but it would be cool if occasionally you threw us a bone and posted a period here and there...maybe a comma? i don't do capitols to save time and effort, so i understand the vibe. thanks for your posts.
take care man,
kevin

To the members of Arboristsite, I'd like to apologize for the State of Wisconsin for sawscavengers attitude. I'm thinking he might be a transplant from Illinois,( they'll see the humor in that). That said, sawscavenger, get ready, I'm letting the dogs out. Pete

Heres my advice: find a guy that knows what hes doing?
or you could just make sure your life insurance is paid tell your neighbors they might want to leave the house for a while and go for it:dizzy:

a lot of us are afraid that we might encourage you to do something and then you'll get hurt. i see guys rent those lifts and do tree work occasionally and i'm always surprised that it doesn't come back to bite 'em. the thing is that when you do this type of work for a while, you come to understand that even with experience strange and dangerous things can and will happen even with the best laid plans. that is where experience and fore sight helps. we might see a new guy rig something and have to tell him, " if you rig that right there with that shallow notch it's gonna pop and spring back in your face. why don't you reposition your rigging rope over there so it swings away and angle you notch a little bit away from you and quite a bit deeper..."
or something like that.

the point is that weird things happen all of the time. sometimes we rig a cut and the last thing we figure out is an escape plan in case the "outside chance" anomaly happens. the best tree guy is going to have some unexpected things happen to him. how you react to those situations is what can bring you home safe at the end of the day. i'm not sure i am conveying exactly what i'd like to, but i'm trying to be persuasive and not condemning.

i don't want you to get pissed at us and out of pride do something that isn't very wise. we as men can get our pride bent out of shape easily. now is not a good time be reactive, but thoughtful.

if you are highly skilled at something or a journeyman or something like that. something that took years of mentoring, try to imagine me asking you in a post how to do it. imagine me having the innocence to ask you to teach me in a few short posts. you might have a chuckle at my expense. this is a similar situation. you have a chainsaw and know how to use it. we believe you. you have the drive to rent some equipment and do it yourself, we commend you. you got balls. but be smart about it. slow down and think. I have some mechanic's tools and can tinker around a bit. i can change out parts on the motor. but if i need to have my transmission rebuilt i'm gonna bite the bullet and pay a professional. this is the same thing.

i wrote this post to balance the criticism you received form other guys. i agree with all of the posts so far and i am not disputing the sentiment. i only want to frame it in another light, so it might be more palatable.

be safe,
kevin

Have you ever gotten a DUI? Hell, if you have a pickup truck, a few saws & a couple buddies you`ll be fine.........Just ask Blakesmaster, better yet just call em he can do any removal & he underbids!!!!

LXT..........

C'mon Lxt, This is another thread......:cheers:

Latest posts

Back