Tree Roots Above Ground

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winland

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have these 2 trees in my front lawn.

TreeRoots1_zpsrp7mgrse.jpg

Between them the ground is very "hilly" / bumpy and soft due to roots growing near or above ground level.

TreeRoots3_zpsdw1zimjk.jpg

Can I dig around these roots and cut them out?

TreeRoots2_zpsrnhitkvm.jpg

TreeRoots4_zps5ealxmnp.jpg

As you can see, my mower is scrapping these roots.

I did not plant either of these trees.

Thanks for your advice.

Your recommend that I cover this entire area in 2" - 3" of mulch?

TreeRoots1a_zpsprcwjbwi.jpg

You certainly can cover all the problem areas with one large mulch bed. I was thinking extending your existing beds to cover some of the surface roots closest to the trees. Then loaming the other areas & restoring the lawn.

Surface rooting is a way of life with those trees. I would suggest you enlarge your garden beds a few feet.

As for the rest, when you aerate your lawn in the spring (you do aerate, right), top dress the lawn with a couple of inches of topsoil and then overseed. Finally, raise the height on your mower to 3-4" as recommended by most grass experts.

If that is a maple, just accept the fact. Maple will run roots at the surface almost every time and covering them is only a temporary fix.

Surface rooting is a way of life with those trees. I would suggest you enlarge your garden beds a few feet.

As for the rest, when you aerate your lawn in the spring (you do aerate, right), top dress the lawn with a couple of inches of topsoil and then overseed. Finally, raise the height on your mower to 3-4" as recommended by most grass experts.
Yes, as a sidenote, if you stop scalping your lawn you'll stop hitting half those roots.

The grassguerilla concurs. Top dress heavy in the root prone area.

Plant some shade tolerant perennials in there and that mulch bed you have sketched in would look pretty nice. Maybe a stepping stone path and a glider or nice looking bench if you are so inclined... The trees will thank you and you will have that much less to mow.

Back