Tree Roots Above Ground

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
winland

winland

ArboristSite Operative
I have these 2 trees in my front lawn.

TreeRoots1_zpsrp7mgrse.jpg

Between them the ground is very "hilly" / bumpy and soft due to roots growing near or above ground level.

TreeRoots3_zpsdw1zimjk.jpg

Can I dig around these roots and cut them out?

TreeRoots2_zpsrnhitkvm.jpg

TreeRoots4_zps5ealxmnp.jpg

As you can see, my mower is scrapping these roots.

I did not plant either of these trees.

Thanks for your advice.

Raintree

Raintree

Penguins are tasty
. AS Supporting Member.
You certainly can cover all the problem areas with one large mulch bed. I was thinking extending your existing beds to cover some of the surface roots closest to the trees. Then loaming the other areas & restoring the lawn.

BC WetCoast

BC WetCoast

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Surface rooting is a way of life with those trees. I would suggest you enlarge your garden beds a few feet.

As for the rest, when you aerate your lawn in the spring (you do aerate, right), top dress the lawn with a couple of inches of topsoil and then overseed. Finally, raise the height on your mower to 3-4" as recommended by most grass experts.

GrassGuerilla

GrassGuerilla

Olympic Piss-reving wanna be.
Surface rooting is a way of life with those trees. I would suggest you enlarge your garden beds a few feet.

As for the rest, when you aerate your lawn in the spring (you do aerate, right), top dress the lawn with a couple of inches of topsoil and then overseed. Finally, raise the height on your mower to 3-4" as recommended by most grass experts.
Yes, as a sidenote, if you stop scalping your lawn you'll stop hitting half those roots.

The grassguerilla concurs. Top dress heavy in the root prone area.

ATH

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Plant some shade tolerant perennials in there and that mulch bed you have sketched in would look pretty nice. Maybe a stepping stone path and a glider or nice looking bench if you are so inclined... The trees will thank you and you will have that much less to mow.

Latest posts