tree sizing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitromusky

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was wonder if any of you can tell me how to give a customer agood estimate on how much wood is in a standing tree. I have started a business cutting and splitting firewood for people. They would also like me to give an estamate on their standing cord wood. Any help would be great

nitromusky - I was wondering the same thing... Just cutting trees down around the farm and at friends properties when offered, and also wondered if there are some 'general' formulas or calculations that might help me figure out how much wood a standing tree might make.

I felled a dead sycamore at my parents 2 weeks ago that came up to be right at a cord of firewood. It was probably about 36" at the base and about 5' up it branched out into 3 main trunks to stand right around 40' to 45' high. If that is a close idea. (that was a cord after splitting)

I would not give estimates

Otherwise they are not going to be paying you for the falling and such..
If you say ma am, there is 2 cords in that tree.. They think well a cord around here sells for ie. 150 so the firewood is worth 300 to them.. and you are going to charge them 500 to cut it down and do all the splitting..They will think you are screwing them.
Just tell them when you are done, it will be a pretty good sized pile..

Just tell them when you are done, it will be a pretty good sized pile..

Good answer, "how the ---- do I know exactly how much?, wait till its done, there will be a good sized pile" Good sized pile, lots of leeway there, perfect.

I cut and split wood for people and I just charge them $40 an hour, that's for me, the splitter and one guy that I pay $10 an hour. I try to give a ballpark estimate and tell the cust that the estimate is give or take a couple hours.

The reason I ask is because the loggers in the area will pay 15-20 dollars a standing cord. Then they will sell to you or whomever for 75 a cord stacked on a truck . well if I can get agood idea of what is out there I can make the deal . And not have to pay the middle man.

experience

I am guessing nothing will beat experience , Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill every time.

Foresters and loggers use a thing called a biltmore stick to estimate standing volume. After a while good old experience is enough usually.

If it's a straight tree, doug fir, ponderosa pine, cedar, etc. it's not hard to estimate the cords once it's on the ground. It still won't be exact but you can come close.
For a tree with a lot of big branches and stems growing off in every direction it's almost impossible.

Latest posts

Back