Tree Spade Cylinder Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilentElk

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello all! First time poster here. At any rate, I have a simple question that I am sure someone might be able to help me with on tree spades. In short I am making a skidsteer mounted tree spade for a buddy of mine. All said and done this machine will be approx. 41.5" accross the top of the root ball. I will be using truncated blades but one thing I can't find any info on is what cylinder Bore are people using for a spade over 36" ? I was thinking of using 3.5" bore on the pull stroke. I know smaller 30-36" spades often use a 2.5" on the push stroke.

Any info on the what cylinder is used on a larger spade would be helpful.

I have been to all of the above links with the exception of the Bobcat site. One nice thing to see on the bobcat site was that a S300 bobcat, machine i am building this for, is rated to use a 44" machine made by bobcat that weighs a little more, 200 lbs about, than my design for 41.5"

I could probably just call the bobcat dealer and get some specs. I will post what I find out.

Thanks for the reply so far. Anyone else know off hand please feel free to post still as I was love to hear more. Thanks!~

Finning / Caterpillar has a spade too I think. Their machine uses a different pump setup to the attachment as well if I remember the sales pitch right. I am most familiar (seen it in use a bunch) with the Optimal spade. it was on a 773 machine but I believe it is now on an S300 (turbo?). anyhoo, good luck with your project.

Local Bobcat dealer wasn't able to find, or possibly give out, any specs on the cylinder Bore. A 3.5" on the pull stroke at a max of 3000 psi will yeild a downward force of 21,636 lbs. This figure uses a 1.75 dia rod. A 3" bore will yeild 15,896 with a 1.5 dia rod. A larger rod isnt needed but a certain amount of force is helpful. Cost difference being $9 a piece I think I will opt for the 3.5"

If someone knows specifically a cylinder size that is used on a 38"-45" spade machine please post it though as I won't be ordering parts till Monday at the soonest and still time to change things if need be. thanks, Pat

PS- thanks for being so Helpful JimmyQ! :)

Back