Tree Spade Takes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Down To Earth

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My company has alot of hardwood timberland, obviously on this land there is alot of natural regeneration under shelterwood prescription cuts. I have thought of using a skidsteer to ball and burlap young maples. Has anyone done this and what are the "secrets"

I can't help you, but I am interested in this topic. Are you wanting to do this for a few trees for yourself or as a side business. You'd have to research what the local nursuries are selling for and decide if you could make a profit vs. their neatly trimmed specimen trees.

are you after tips on the diggin process or the marketing or just any general info? I have used bobcat mounted spades before and also a digging machine made by Yanmar.

i used to work on some tree farms and ran a few sizes of tree spades for a while. the process is different depending on your objective.
if you just want to b&b them then you can rent a spade mount somewhere put the burlap in the basket and set the tree into it. then tie it up with some hemp style rope alternating the rope in a star pattern over the top of the root ball (like when you put lug nuts on your tire). dont know if that helps or if that was the info you were looking for

I would also like some marketing info, if you guys can help. Will nurseries buy "wild stock", what price as compared to retail do they pay, what machine would be best suited for the job the terrain is mostly all sloped, access to the young maples should not be a problem.

Thanks

look at big johns web page and vermeer...both make tractor rear mount and skid loader front mount tree spades.

Latest posts

Back